No road tax question.

Soldato
You lot know what you're talking about so a quick question Can/will the police seize a vehicle for no road tax?

I'm getting a new bike on 1st October trading in my current bike. Unfortunately my current bikes road tax runs out 30th September. The dealer is about 16 miles from my home and ideally I'd just do the 25 mins there on the morning of the 1st and get my new bike but obviously I don't want to get the bike taken off me.

Obviously I could just tax it for 6 months and then I'll get parts thereof back under the new system or I could take it down the day before and get a lift home and then back there again the next day.

I know, I should just pay the tax, considering 6 months for my bike is only £44 and I'll get some of it back, but my parents were northern so I try to be tight where possible. This is what I'll probably do anyway as I'm a good chap but damn, 16 bloody miles.

Associate
Can/will the police seize a vehicle for no road tax? in simple terms yes they could if you get a pc blob who had an bad day.
Worst case, yes - the police can detect you don't have tax via automatic number plate cameras, and pull you over, you would get a £80(?) fine.
so which is best £44 or £80.

Soldato
Well this just reminded me that my tax disc that I ordered online 2 weeks ago through DVLA never arrived and runs out Monday!

Soldato
Wasn't a biker on one of the motorway cops program the other night. He couldn't afford his tax, it ran out at midnight and he was driving the bike home when he got stopped 5hrs after it ran out. They gave him a fine and put the bike on a low loader where he had to pay a couple of hundred quid to get it back also?

Either drive it down when it's still valid or put some vehicle tax and claim it back, your £44 loses the £4 surcharge for 6 month, so you'll get back 5/6ths of £40, so £33.33. So a tenner to balance against the risk of getting caught?

Soldato
Yes, take it in the day before.

Don't forget that if you have not paid the Vehicle Excise Duty you will be uninsured.

Actually, you're buying from a dealer. I'd be very surprised if the dealer were not willing to bring the bike to you. Then the dealer's agent can ride your old bike - now their bike - back to the dealer on their trade plates.

Back
Top Bottom