The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
Back on the subject of the YN-ST-E3 again for a mo, does anyone here actually have one?

Been reading about a few issues with it and wondered what people's experiences were.

Soldato
Sounds good. Have read a few people reporting issues with not waking properly from sleep mode and requiring a power cycle and eating batteries even when turned off.

Also seen quite a few reports about a misalignment of the AF assist beam although not sure how big an issue this is.

Soldato
Out of interest, how much do you use flash during weddings? Bit surprised you have four - I thought you always favoured natural light wherever possible?

Caporegime
I had 7 flashes at one point lol

I have to use flash during the evening, normally bouncing off the room is fine when it's white and low to medium ceiling. But if if the roof is high like a big barn or it is black all round then I like off camera flashes.

When you do that, I like 3 off camera, creating a triangle so almost everywhere look there is a flash in sight to create a rim light, along with one flash on camera as fill.

E.g.

xGb1LXQ.jpg

PgnZIIR.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting - are you using manual or E-TTL for the three fixed flashes and in what ratios to the master fill? Don't you find the bare flashes too harsh at all?

Soldato
You know what's funny? When you start learning, people say don't shoot with light behind it because your subject will be dark and under exposed.

I now practically do the opposite, I chase shooting into light sources, I create them on purpose if I can.

Yeah that's what I do too. As long as you've got fill lighting, I find the images 'pop' more. I've been lucky about 90% of the time that there is almost always rear lighting of some sort, but occasionally I'm finding I need a remote flash or light source behind bands as they get lost in the shadows. A couple of bands I cover use a huge black backdrop to reduce sound bouncing around. You can get some cool low key photography, but I like it when the drummer stands out.

All a bit of a moot point as the gig stuff has dropped off at the moment, but luckily a bloke that screwed over myself and a journalist recently for a HUGE gig, got sacked over it and my mate has his job now, so I may be busy soon :D

Associate
Nice,

A guy over on NPN shoots really great stuff in the UK with a Pentax 67II, (Ian Cameron) a great selection of lenses too,

Yeah, I think I'll eventually pick up a 55/4 and a 165/2.8 to round out the kit, the camera is such a change from my TLRs. 6x7 is so nice to work with as well, it feels just right for landscape and vertical stuff.

Associate
For a good idea of how much it will be let's look at how much more recent unit are vs the Canon competition.

Canon ST-E3-RT:
UK price: £240 (Amazon).
Grey import: £194~.
VS
Yongnuo YN-E3-RT:
UK price: £91 (Amazon).
Grey import: £80.

And

Yongnuo YN565EX II:
UK price: £67.50 (Amazon).
Grey import: £62.
VS
Canon 580EX II:
UK price: £280~ (Google).
Grey import: £244.

So from that I get the idea that the YN-600-RT may cost around the £150 mark considering the Canon 600EX-RT currently goes for £400 or £340 import.

Ah of the flash or the whole kit do you mean?

I have a 580EX MKII and a 430EX MKII, my question is which transmitter is the best to use as Pocket Wizards seem to not be that popularf ! ?

Soldato
Just bought an old 150mm A 645 manual focus lens for £110 off Ebay;

HAsBjn9.jpg

Frighteningly sharp, tested it through my window, it's not that great wide open @ F3.5, but it's fine stopped down beyond F5.6, it's a landscape lens for me so it'll always be stopped down,

Canary wharf around 5 miles away as the crow flies, through a dirty window;

QifiOf0.jpg.png

These old "A" lenses are blowing my mind considering the cost of them, but seeing as none of them have Nikon nano, or Canon L on them - I bet nobody is even remotley interested :D

Back
Top Bottom