The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
600ex-rt.jpg

YN-E3-RT on the way, will add another flash at a later date :D

Associate
In celebration of getting another one of my flashes (Yes I know the EX 2 is out but the only change was the display so I'm not fussed)..

Canon 700d with 18-55 F3.5-F5.0 IS STM
Canon 50mm F1.8 (Nifty 50)
2 x YN656EX Flashes
Assorted junk (Batteries, SD cards, Cheap Tripod etc)

21l453ul.jpg

tbh all my stuff so far has been very budget orientated. The camera was purchases for a £515 from JL brand new when it was on offer and hasn't gone below that point since I believe.

Aim to eventually (when I'm rich lol) move to full frame (6D/5D) and a 24-70mm F2.8 L, 70-200mm F2.8 L and YN600EX (possibly some 622c's as well) and never need anything else again.. He says.

Last edited:
Associate
[/Quote] Aim to eventually move to full frame (6D/5D) and a 24-70mm F2.8 L, 70-200mm F2.8 L and YN600EX (possibly some 622c's as well) and never need anything else again.. He says.[/QUOTE]

Haha...good luck with THAT Promise my friend !

Associate
It is just an IR/optical transmitter as Ray says, the speedlites in slave mode will pick up the popup flashe's firring and sync up their output. What we're on about here are proper radio commanders/triggers that don't need an optical signal to work.

The YN-622c will handle the 430EX II and 580EX II no problem. You can then manage the parameters of each flash plugged into a 622c on the same channel from the in camera menu for external flash control. That's the part the 7D does have IIRC so as long as a compatible radio trigger is attached to the hotshoe and each subsequent flash is attached to a 622c as well you'll get ETTL/Manual control over each speedlite.

Here's what the menu looks like on my 5D3 with just the 622c transceiver attached:

7Do5Wex.jpg

I used 2 flashes on each corner of the dancefloor this weekend just gone, moved around so each time the B&G were in front of either for rim lighting and used manual control for that. nice and handy having full control from the commander this way either from camera or the 622c-TX unit. Shame the TX doesn't have a hotshoe o it like the 622c though, I might buy another 622c and another YN-568 in the near future depending on need as I can then use the master one as front fill with the others set to rim.

So far there's always been some decent illumination for front from ambience anyway but I know the need will come at a venue one day...

I have had a look on the web and the this unit YN-622c appears to be wireless and IR !
So is this not a good unit for 7D and 430MK2 and 580MK2 to use together ! ?

Caporegime
I have had a look on the web and the this unit YN-622c appears to be wireless and IR !
So is this not a good unit for 7D and 430MK2 and 580MK2 to use together ! ?

You put the receiver on the flash and trigger on the camera, ignore the built in 7D trigger and use wireless (RF). It is more reliable, does not require line of sight.

Caporegime
Sounds like a plan, I will have look in to this more.....

It's nothing new, Pocket Wizard started it with Manuals only YEARSSSSSSSsssss ago, you can spot them easily on cameras in studios as they are big with a massive aerial on top. They are however very reliable, good range and again, very reliable.

Then there is the Flex system, which was what people wanted, ETTL wirelessly.

The other alternatives which came out later are Phottix which does the same but with LCD screen on the trigger. The Flex does not have LCD.

Then Canon basically took the whole RF thing by the throat and built it into the 600EX-RT. In essence, it is a 580EXii with radio triggers built in. Hence the price. If you price up a 580EXii with some pocket wizards/Phottix then you are not much off to the 600EX-RT.

The Youguo stuff are always been cheap and cheerful but they are great value for money. Canon missed a trick with the ST-E3-RT as they left out the AF assist. Shooting in the dark with off camera flash AF will struggle without AF assist, no matter what glass you have. That is just a given so leaving AF assist off was a silly idea if you ask me.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The Yongnuo AF assist pattern is rather cool too. The great thing is even the 622c transceiver only has AF assist lights. AF assist on a £25~ transceiver... Makes you wonder what canon are doing charging what they do for the ST-E3/E2.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's the one, it's bigger than Canon, although less dense and more spread out.

Yup, it has outer areas too and even though the pattern is not centred with the 5D3 viewfinder (it's higher) it still focuses on the middle when using spot point AF (I use the middle point 90% of the time, zone or group based when tracking in servo).

Here's the pattern:
20140903_225808_001.mp4_snapshot_00.06_%5B2014.09.03_23.15.22%5D.png

And here's the pattern as seen through the viewfinder:
20140903_230041_001.gif

The Yongnuos use laser AF assist beams, are the canon ones laser too or just focused LED beams?

Associate
A couple more bits landed today. :D

The inevitable nifty-fifty 1.8 arrived and appears pretty good value for a touch over £70, quality lenses even if the cheap and cheerful build quality give the impression it was found in a kinder egg. Should be able to take it for a spin tomorrow.

Also got a wired remote / time-lapse intervalometer as the 600D shutter tops out at 30 secs; at a tenner from Amazon it does the job without having to worry about bricking anything with magic lantern.

Caporegime
This just arrived.

Nikon D610 with Nikon 85mm f/1.8, I've also been using my 35mm f/1.8G DX on it because Nikon don't seem to have a 35mm/f1.8G FX for some reason. :confused:

P9030002-2.jpg

I think I might want a slightly wider lens looking at these images though really, maybe 28mm? Or how is the 18-35mm on FX?

Last edited:
Associate
This just arrived.

Nikon D610 with Nikon 85mm f/1.8, I've also been using my 35mm f/1.8G DX on it because Nikon don't seem to have a 35mm/f1.8G FX for some reason. :confused:

You mean like this? ;)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18-fx.htm

28mm is harder to work with compared to 35mm, but when you nail it the perspective you get is really nice. It's more in your face.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Caporegime
Strange I couldn't find it searching the internet, at that price though I won't be buying it, seems overpriced for what is it. The 85mm was only £350.

You mean like this? ;)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18-fx.htm

28mm is harder to work with compared to 35mm, but when you nail it the perspective you get is really nice. It's more in your face.

The problem is for the filming I'm doing I'm in a very confined space so I need a fairly wide lens, otherwise when the horse gets close it fills the frame and you can't see the rider.

I'm not looking for professional quality for the filming and will just use the 35mm DX for more casual shooting, the vignetting is easy to correct, I'll just have to see how the fov works out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom