The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
And here's the pattern as seen through the viewfinder:
20140903_230041_001.gif

The Yongnuos use laser AF assist beams, are the canon ones laser too or just focused LED beams?

Hmm, does look like that's too high to focus on the centre point :confused:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It does, I think it's because on the 5D3 it sits high up but it certainly is able to focus with the centre AF point in the dark, tested on the iron last night and B&G at last week's wedding :p

I think one of the non primary pattern sections are what it locks on to though.

Caporegime
Strange I couldn't find it searching the internet, at that price though I won't be buying it, seems overpriced for what is it. The 85mm was only £350.

The problem is for the filming I'm doing I'm in a very confined space so I need a fairly wide lens, otherwise when the horse gets close it fills the frame and you can't see the rider.

I'm not looking for professional quality for the filming and will just use the 35mm DX for more casual shooting, the vignetting is easy to correct, I'll just have to see how the fov works out.

Overpriced:confused:
It is incredibly god value for money. The 35mm f/1.4G is £1300, the 1.8G is incredibly close in performance and is a bargain at only 30% of the price!
The 85mm f/1.8G is is a completely irrelevant comparison because 85mm lenses are far easier lenses to design, the 35mm has to be a retro-focus design.

The 35mm DX is now £150, the FX lens will have to cover nearly 2.5X the image circle area, so the FX version costing 2.5-3x as much is to be expected really.

Anyway, the 35mm DX is a cracking lens and works OK on FF but only at the widest apertures and at close focusing. If you try to focus on something further away it wont work.
Why not just sell the 35mm DX to fund the FX version?

Soldato
Overpriced:confused:
It is incredibly god value for money. The 35mm f/1.4G is £1300, the 1.8G is incredibly close in performance and is a bargain at only 30% of the price!

I wonder how the two Nikons compare to the Sigma.

(Disclaimer: I know squat about Nikon :) )

Soldato
IMG_20140904_181448.jpg

Hitech 16 stop FireCrest IRND filter which I've read good reviews on, mostly the very neutral colours it gives, my Big Stopper is a bit of a pain to fix at times.

Eyelead sensor gel stick which I've used with good results, although the shape of the gel means it's hard to get the spots on the edges of the sensor.

Lee Little Stopper, because my Big Stopper is too much for some shots and this apparently also has less colour caste, I've got a 4 stop Hitech ND but when stacked with the Hitech .9 ND grad I have it gives a magenta caste.

Bought mainly for Iceland at the end of the month, going for 2 weeks, hired a 4x4 so will just be driving around the island.

Soldato
Just bought an old 150mm A 645 manual focus lens for £110 off Ebay;

HAsBjn9.jpg

Frighteningly sharp, tested it through my window, it's not that great wide open @ F3.5, but it's fine stopped down beyond F5.6, it's a landscape lens for me so it'll always be stopped down,

Canary wharf around 5 miles away as the crow flies, through a dirty window;

<snip>

These old "A" lenses are blowing my mind considering the cost of them, but seeing as none of them have Nikon nano, or Canon L on them - I bet nobody is even remotley interested :D

Surprised no one has mentioned this. That's a great quality image, even more so when you consider the price of the lens!

My dad gave me a pile of his old gear from the 70s/80s. Mainly filters, but I found this in it:

http://instagram.com/p/sXjxa4LNJd/?modal=true

:D

Caporegime
I wonder how the two Nikons compare to the Sigma.

(Disclaimer: I know squat about Nikon :) )

The 35mm f/1.8 FX doesn't have many reviews out to make a detailed comparison. The Sigma is very similar to the Nikon 35mm f/1.4G. The Nikon tends to be a tad sharper, especially over the center and have a smoother bokeh. The Bokeh plus the rendering characteristics tend to make the Nikkor slightly more attractive to the lens connoisseur, but the objective measurements are pretty equal. The Sigma is actually slightly better corrected for CA and distortion.

Soldato
Bought mainly for Iceland at the end of the month, going for 2 weeks, hired a 4x4 so will just be driving around the island.

I'm just a bit jealous.. I want to do this at some stage but my next chance will be either a week in December or February.. I need to do some research on those times of year but please let me know how you get on :)

Soldato
I'm just a bit jealous.. I want to do this at some stage but my next chance will be either a week in December or February.. I need to do some research on those times of year but please let me know how you get on :)

I've never been there before but I'd imagine that a lot of the roads would be inaccessible then if you were wanting to travel around, depends what vehicle you get I guess.
I've been planning this for most of the year, chose this time of year so that it's cheaper as it's out of season, more chance of seeing aurora, less other tourists, Autumn colours and maybe some snowfall around. We've got some tents we will take so don't have to always rely on finding a hostel.

From what I've read a lot of places close over the Winter but there are enough open dotted around. Hostels look very good for around £30 each.

Iceland is fairly expensive so it's worth going with others to share costs, I'm going with a friend so we will split the car/fuel costs.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's a good trip, if I get any decent photos I'll post them.

Soldato
I've never been there before but I'd imagine that a lot of the roads would be inaccessible then if you were wanting to travel around, depends what vehicle you get I guess.
I've been planning this for most of the year, chose this time of year so that it's cheaper as it's out of season, more chance of seeing aurora, less other tourists, Autumn colours and maybe some snowfall around. We've got some tents we will take so don't have to always rely on finding a hostel.

From what I've read a lot of places close over the Winter but there are enough open dotted around. Hostels look very good for around £30 each.

Iceland is fairly expensive so it's worth going with others to share costs, I'm going with a friend so we will split the car/fuel costs.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's a good trip, if I get any decent photos I'll post them.

I'll need to do some research then, maybe it will be worth me delaying it until later next year. Have a good trip and look forward to seeing your photos :)

Caporegime
Are you liking the 610? I might pick one up in the coming weeks

Feeling the need ot go back to FX and im missing me D700

Yeah it's great, operates pretty much the same as the D7000 I had previously and gives a very nice perspective with tiny dof with the 85mm, it's really sharp wide open.

0285-full.jpg
0231-full-2.jpg
0225-full-3.jpg
0224-full.jpg

Soldato
Will be playing with my pocket wizards over the next week.

The plan is 2 or 3 OCF around the dancefloor with one on camera. Got the AC3 controller too but I don't think this can used with a flash on camera.

In my head it's going to look brilliant with rear curtain, but I know it's going to be a pain and end up being a stressful rush come every first dance. They always are aren't they :o

Caporegime
Will be playing with my pocket wizards over the next week.

The plan is 2 or 3 OCF around the dancefloor with one on camera. Got the AC3 controller too but I don't think this can used with a flash on camera.

In my head it's going to look brilliant with rear curtain, but I know it's going to be a pain and end up being a stressful rush come every first dance. They always are aren't they :o

I've highlighted one of its short comings.

And it is hit and miss with ETTL, because of 18% grey metering, it won't fire that much a flash behind the subject, because of the whole black lit thing. It is actually very difficult. It is much easier to have the flash off camera going off a set value in manual and ETTL the front.

Back
Top Bottom