• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Associate
Thanks for the feedback and help folks. I've made some progress and have my RAM running at ~1600Mhz but i'm now having trouble with getting the CPU multiplier where I want it.

So I tried reef's suggestion of setting 200mhz Bclk and changing the multiplier to target 1600mhz on the ram and gave me 3.4Ghz CPU with a CPU multiplier of 17, which worked fine.

I've now started trying to go with a lower Bclk (160Mhz) and set the multiplier to target a higher CPU speed which boots up fine and the bios shows the configured speed, but when I look at CPUZ in windows its still showing the 17x Multiplier. Any advice on what I'm overlooking or not understanding would be greatly appreciated. I've got a X5675 so I should be able to use a multi all the way up to 25, but it seems locked to max of 17 when I get into windows.

Soldato
whats the deal with x20 with turbo boost = x22 some people saying it runs all core at max speed others say they dont can any one clear this up ha as mine sweet spots @3.9 and i would love to get more with boost would hit me round @4.3

I suspect it's a motherboard feature as to whether it works or not.

Associate
Been having a play with this X5650 tonight and have it stable at 4.18Ghz 190bclk. I previously had my 950 at 4.2Ghz 200bclk and feel this chip wants to do more. I am on custom water and the temps are so much better than my 950. But I am being held back with the rather annoying bug on my EX58-UD5 that limits the uncore multi to 20X.

If I change it one notch then it fails to post and constantly flashes a C1 error code until I clear the CMOS. I've tried enabling/disabling turbo and C1 states but it seems this is just a limitation of the bios. I am using the latest F13j. I did some searching and they have fixed this with an update on the UD7 but not my board it seems. If anyone knows of a newer beta that fixes this then give me a shout.

For now I have the uncore at 20X multi and my ram at 10X using Teamgroup LV PC2133Mhz dimms. I have the timings at 9-11-11-28 and could probably tighten those up a bit. I have had to give it 1.375v on the QPI to keep it stable at 3800Mhz uncore. I am tempted to see if I can push this further but am concerned about degrading my chip. How high should I be able to push the uncore safely? If I push the QPI volts a little more then I may just be able to get it to 4.4Ghz.

Overall I am pretty satisfied to have similar single thread performance to what I had before and the extra cores. Well worth the £70 I paid for it on ebay and now I have some extra cash to spend on upgrading my GPU :)

C16RMd9.jpg

For uncore speed you can use 1.5x RAM, 2x or 2x +1 was for 45nm quads it seems

Soldato
I think you might have just been unlucky with your one. I can do 4GHz on the 5650 at around 1.3v and the 5670 is doing 4.4Ghz at 1.3625v

Associate
Got my X5670 running at 4.08ghz with 24 Multiplier and 170 BLCK, would I be better off with a lower multi and higher BLCK? It's stable but running prime95 it hits 80 degrees so I don't want to push it any further, probably a limitation of my ageing H50.

Soldato
Got my X5670 running at 4.08ghz with 24 Multiplier and 170 BLCK, would I be better off with a lower multi and higher BLCK? It's stable but running prime95 it hits 80 degrees so I don't want to push it any further, probably a limitation of my ageing H50.

What volts are you using to get to 4.08GHz? I'm on 22x200 to get to 4.4GHz at 1.3625v under water.

http://valid.x86.fr/kgkg3g

Associate
I left the voltage alone as it was stable, it's still at 1.35 which is what it defaulted to. I'd rather keep the temps down than push it right to the limit.

Associate
Oh, I just realised my RAM is running at 800mhz! the P6T-SE doesn't make it easy to see what the RAM is doing. I get some odd speed options, what would you suggest BLCK wise to get the RAM running at 1600mhz?

Soldato
Is it really running at 800Mhz? If your looking at CPU-z then it will show 800Mhz but it will be running at 1600MHz. 22x200 as per mine will let you set 1200 or 1600Mhz or higher.

Associate
Yeah it was running at DDR3-800. Playing around with the BIOS I cannot get it to boot running at 1600mhz. I reset it to stock speed, loaded default settings and it runs at 1333mhz. If I try to force it to 1600, it refuses to boot :-\

it was running at 1600 with the 920. That said, the RAM is not running in triple channel mode and it's mixed memory so it was probably lucky to work before. I have 2x2gb Corsair XMMS (it was a triple channel kit but one of the sticks fried) and 2x4gb corsair vengence. I'll play around with removing sticks as it's clearly not a perfect setup.

Associate
Hmm, even with a single stick of the 2gb it will detect the RAM as 1333mhz and won't boot if I try to override it, will try with a single stick of the 4gb Vengance but I'm not expecting it to work. It's odd that it worked with the 920.

edit: Same with 1x4gb stick. Auto-detects at 1333mhz and trying to run it at 1600mhz refuses to boot

edit 2: The only other thing that's changed is that I did a bios update. I didn't check the RAM speed between updating the BIOS and installing the Xeon. It's unlikely to be that though

Last edited:
Caporegime
So, serious question all you people who are upgrading. Would anyone be willing to stick their old i7 in a jiffy bag and post it to me so I can try and update my BIOS? Will send it back afterwards and can PayPal gift you a token amount for the postage if you like. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Have a look at my settings here http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26833506&postcount=207, the p6tse is almost the same as the p6t so those ram voltage settings might get it to boot normally.

If you get overclocking failed, try a soft reboot and see if it applies then. Mine was doing that for a while.

Thanks I've been having a play. Here's what happens:

I set the RAM to 1600mhz and it wont boot, no output to the monitor at all, no beeps but the fans are running

I turn off using power button and turn back on and get "Overclock failed". A soft reboot seems to just cause the same non-booting PC.

I upped my QPI/DRAM Core voltage to 1.35 which is what the CPU is running at and the DRAM up to 1.55, I don't like to push it too much as it's rated at 1.50, still no luck but I'll keep playing.

Associate
Made some great progress today and am really happy with where I've ended up.

Got 3.8Ghz using only 1.216 volts and with my RAM running at just over 1600Mhz. My temps seem pretty under control while gaming etc (peaked at 50C on 1 core with others around 41 - 48C)

I'm running 166 Bclk and have set the multi to 23 with everything else set to auto in my bios. I am starting to think about getting the Intel Burn Test running to confirm stability before maybe looking to push the multi up to 25 to hit 4.1Ghz. I'm only using air cooling so not sure if that's a good idea as the temps might get out of control, but be interesting to try. Whatever happens I'm really chuffed with my reasonably cheap upgrade!

Associate
SupernovaUK, what did you do to get your RAM running at 1600mhz? I know you were struggling with that earlier in the thread and I have the exact same ram as you

Associate
Thanks I've been having a play. Here's what happens:

I set the RAM to 1600mhz and it wont boot, no output to the monitor at all, no beeps but the fans are running

I turn off using power button and turn back on and get "Overclock failed". A soft reboot seems to just cause the same non-booting PC.

I upped my QPI/DRAM Core voltage to 1.35 which is what the CPU is running at and the DRAM up to 1.55, I don't like to push it too much as it's rated at 1.50, still no luck but I'll keep playing.

I was basically having exactly the same trouble. I was only able to fix it by manually setting the CPU multiplier and the Bclk to a value that would allow the bclk to memory ratio get me to 1600Mhz... so in CPUZ on the Memory tab I can see the FSB : DRAM is being set by the motherboard to 2:10 which is how my RAM is now hitting 1600Mhz

Back
Top Bottom