[PIC_THREAD] Wildlife, Animals, Birds, Zoo

Associate
Getting a bit of a better grasp on my olympus ep5 now, and especially with a 25mm f 1:1/8 prime lens i'm getting some much better photos! Just wish i had the 12mm as lot of my photo's are wild life based or scenery!

What do you guys think?

Shot through the tether posts eye
dYe0Ch1.jpg

Dappy old goat!
D6APUL7.jpg

uQpHQhp.jpg

Dragon fly in flight, this was a bit tricky, but am sure I could do better with a bit more patience and my gorilla pod to set the camera up better and use the wifi shooting, then I'm sure i'd get a sharper shot! It was quite difficult to focus, I locked the focus on something of similar distance away( he kept buzzing over the same part of the lake) and held the shutter half way down until he flew under the camera. If I was to use the wifi where I cant obvious have a half shutter pressing action, how on earth will I focus? Would I have to set it to manual focus and keep adjusting till I get it right?

1L9UsYV.jpg

I call this one ... March of the Hoppers! :D
This one again, could have been better shot from remote shutter due to the amount I had zoomed in on my (non macro as you can see) 40-150mm lens, couldn't get close they'd just hop off otherwise! There's also a bit too much going on with the photo, but..when I shot what I thought was only the middle one, on the PC two more appeared before my very eyes, don't know how I missed them when shooting, must have been well camouflaged!! I think there's a bit too much going on with the shot, but were getting there.

QTG9vkg.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Getting a bit of a better grasp on my olympus ep5 now, and especially with a 25mm f 1:1/8 prime lens i'm getting some much better photos! Just wish i had the 12mm as lot of my photo's are wild life based or scenery!

What do you guys think?

Shot through the tether posts eye

Dappy old goat!

Dragon fly in flight, this was a bit tricky, but am sure I could do better with a bit more patience and my gorilla pod to set the camera up better and use the wifi shooting, then I'm sure i'd get a sharper shot! It was quite difficult to focus, I locked the focus on something of similar distance away( he kept buzzing over the same part of the lake) and held the shutter half way down until he flew under the camera. If I was to use the wifi where I cant obvious have a half shutter pressing action, how on earth will I focus? Would I have to set it to manual focus and keep adjusting till I get it right?

I call this one ... March of the Hoppers! :D
This one again, could have been better shot from remote shutter due to the amount I had zoomed in on my (non macro as you can see) 40-150mm lens, couldn't get close they'd just hop off otherwise! There's also a bit too much going on with the photo, but..when I shot what I thought was only the middle one, on the PC two more appeared before my very eyes, don't know how I missed them when shooting, must have been well camouflaged!! I think there's a bit too much going on with the shot, but were getting there.

Not a bad batch of shots :) I kinda like the goat through the keyhole look although the second goat is better :)

Dragonflies in flight are always tough and that looks like a good effort to me. My first attempts were with me trying to track some that were patrolling over a pond and that was also tough since the AF didn't really want to track something so small at that distance! Ended up with a passable shot despite that!

The cricket things look interesting although it's ended up a bit dark/underexposed which is a shame :( Guess you were in the shade there?

Associate
Not a bad batch of shots :) I kinda like the goat through the keyhole look although the second goat is better :)

Dragonflies in flight are always tough and that looks like a good effort to me. My first attempts were with me trying to track some that were patrolling over a pond and that was also tough since the AF didn't really want to track something so small at that distance! Ended up with a passable shot despite that!

The cricket things look interesting although it's ended up a bit dark/underexposed which is a shame :( Guess you were in the shade there?

Thanks Phal appreciate it! The last one was in full bright sunlight, I don't really know what happened to be honest, i think the combination of being zoomed too far in on my 40-150mm coupled with a bit of user error ended up under exposing it hehe!

Onwards and upwards as they say!

To the above... like a bausss!

Soldato
Thanks Phal appreciate it! The last one was in full bright sunlight, I don't really know what happened to be honest, i think the combination of being zoomed too far in on my 40-150mm coupled with a bit of user error ended up under exposing it hehe!

Onwards and upwards as they say!

To the above... like a bausss!

Yeah sometimes you need to help the camera along a bit since all the automatic feature's aren't always ideal!

I'm definitely still learning mine heh

Caporegime
Taken this morning from my back yard

15134752151_e2dc8c9136_b.jpg

the other week
15134752631_84015b3bc9_b.jpg

And

And

Associate
'Out on my own'

bmwfox67_1.jpg

Line of sight was obscured (fencepost bokeh to left and it was tight with trees so I couldn't move anymore right) and had to whistle to get this young fox to turn it's head (bit of a gamble as it could have run off).

Permabanned
Might want to re-size that image... I think the maximum width is 1280 pixels.

You can still link to higher resolution images... but you would want to use something like:

[ur*l=ht*tp://largeimageaddress][im*g]ht*tp://1280pximageaddress[/im*g][/ur*l]

(without stars)

or just use flickr which does it for you :D

Soldato
Might want to re-size that image... I think the maximum width is 1280 pixels.

You can still link to higher resolution images... but you would want to use something like:

[ur*l=ht*tp://largeimageaddress][im*g]ht*tp://1280pximageaddress[/im*g][/ur*l]

(without stars)

or just use flickr which does it for you :D

Show up the same size as the rest for me on chrome. Just checked in safari though and its full size which is weird!

Soldato
Looked after my sisters dog at the weekend so I usually take the camera with me to try and get some shots of him, he's a pain to photograph having dark fur and he doesn't often sit still but I wore him out with a tennis ball so he had to take a break. I'd found a nice spot with longer grass in the park so waited until an hour before sunset to get the light right. I'd have liked to use an off camera flash for a bit of fill from the left but didn't take it with me.

Lens is an old Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 with an adaptor to fit my D800, I have 2 adaptors, one with glass and one without, the one with glass allows further (but not infinity) focusing but the glass degrades the image. The non glass one limits me to around 2 metres focus range but for most cases thats all I want. Some people love the look of this lens with the odd bokeh, some hate, I personally like it when done correctly. Not a lens I use often but once you get used to it it can produce some great results. You can pick them up for £20-30 on ebay, adaptor is around £5. They will focus further on other camera manufacturers bodies, just Nikons that seem to be more limited.
Lens gives best bokeh results on full frame but I've seen nice results on crop/4thirds.

Back
Top Bottom