Creating a lunar base

Man of Honour
lol. don't worry, we can just ask NASA for the batteries they used 1969 as they were capable of powering the aircon in the suits and the spaceship and the rover for a few days. If its that easy, just rip some batteries out of your local truck and you good to go :D

Sigh you do realise they limited EVA to a few hours a day so the suits weren't running permanently off their built in battery supply? and were recharged in the landing module (Also systems like aircon in the suits used a far more exotic and mission specific setup than a permanent system on earth would which completely changes power requirements and other characteristics). There is nothing that exotic or infeasible about the power supply in the lunar module itself - the specs are easy to look up and compare to industrial power supplies - basic battery tech hasn't moved on all that much in the last 3-4 decades.

If your going to try and troll use an aspect that can't be shot down in flames by someone with the ability to use google let alone an expert in the subject.

Man of Honour
Don't bother Rroff. I already laid out the exact fuel cell and battery setup of Apollo for him in a thread ages ago, it didn't sink in.

It tickled me a little - though I'm far from an expert in the subject of all the potentially improbable aspects of it that is one of the easiest to verify as feasible :S

Soldato
Am I the only one that thought this:

23vgap0.jpg

Ladies and gentleman... Welcome to my moonbase

Mwhahahahah ahahahaha

Permabanned
Sigh you do realise they limited EVA to a few hours a day so the suits weren't running permanently off their built in battery supply? and were recharged in the landing module (Also systems like aircon in the suits used a far more exotic and mission specific setup than a permanent system on earth would which completely changes power requirements and other characteristics). There is nothing that exotic or infeasible about the power supply in the lunar module itself - the specs are easy to look up and compare to industrial power supplies - basic battery tech hasn't moved on all that much in the last 3-4 decades.

If your going to try and troll use an aspect that can't be shot down in flames by someone with the ability to use google let alone an expert in the subject.

Yes of course, The batteries were "special", sure those "special" batteries, that is exactly why i said we don't need to worry about power next time. We just use the same "special" car batteries that NASA used in 1969 to power the entire moon base indefinitely. Wait, you are saying they were not special at all? that is even better, we can just get some batteries from the local MOT shop and use those for power.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes of course, The batteries were "special", sure those "special" batteries, that is exactly why i said we don't need to worry about power next time. We just use the same "special" car batteries that NASA used in 1969 to power the entire moon base indefinitely.

A broken promise is a lot like a child's pinwheel. You have to be yourself, or at least within the confines.

Man of Honour
Yes of course, The batteries were "special", sure those "special" batteries, that is exactly why i said we don't need to worry about power next time. We just use the same "special" car batteries that NASA used in 1969 to power the entire moon base indefinitely. Wait, you are saying they were not special at all? that is even better, we can just get some batteries from the local MOT shop and use those for power.

Sadly I'm used to a better class of troll.

Permabanned
Sadly I'm used to a better class of troll.

what was it? Two 16.8V batteries. That is all you need to withstand 100 degrees C during the day -173 degrees C at night. Considering they only went out during the day, their magic suits would have had to have been as magic as their batteries and as magic as their air con.

All running off two little 16.8 volt batteries, if they were Duracell then ill believe it.

I think the only thing magic about NASA is their tall tales. I do like nasa ability to come up with an answer for everything. I guess when you are that good at lying you have the best expertise in the world to make up your lies for you, you can't be proven wrong due to the nature of the lie, you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
what was it? Two 16.8V batteries. That is all you need to withstand 100 degrees C during the day -173 degrees C at night. Considering they only went out during the day, their magic suits would have had to have been as magic as their batteries and as magic as their air con.

All running off two little 16.8 volt batteries, if they were Duracell then ill believe it.

I think the only thing magic about NASA is their tall tales. I do like nasa ability to come up with an answer for everything. I guess when you are that good at lying you have the best expertise in the world to make up your lies for you, you can't be proven wrong due to the nature of the lie, you can't go wrong.

Well, the match lastin' about up until the particular inaccuracy, particular unusually, that should be the ultimate determining factor in about the 12 round experience, heart of a champion, margarine hat.

Caporegime
Hey GD, it's been a while.

Question for you, would it at all be feasible (given our current technology) to go back to the moon and create some sort of lunar base?

I guess my question is more about the feasibility of creating structures on the moon given our current methods.

Would scaffolding be enough? Would we need some kind of oxygen perpetuating system? How hard would it be to use modern tools in a big ol' space suit? Would our buildings actually stay up on the moon and be a successful form of shelter? If a spaceman farts on the moon, does it make a sound? These are troubling questions indeed.

Resin.

lots of work has gone in to it and if you mix moon dust with strong epoxy resins you get a stuff that's basically like very strong concrete you can dig trenches use dust to make thick concrete slaps (meters thick) to line the trench and cap it with more slaps and cover.

you need it very think for protection from impacts, radiation and the cold.

but yeah it's doable, can even get water out of the dust.

moon dust has some quite unique properties because of it's structure.

Caporegime
what was it? Two 16.8V batteries. That is all you need to withstand 100 degrees C during the day

that is 100C from radiation NOT convection or conduction. so most of it can be defeted with reflective surfaces and insulating material.

you stop the heat getting into the suit, then what your mostly cooling is the operators body heat not the outside heat.

Caporegime
oh and one important thing to keep in mind when talking to anything I don't mind 9aka groen) is that he believes objects traveling in space need constant thrust ie the rockets have to fire all the way.

hence why is misunderstanding of the power required for travel is so significant.

im not sure what giant ****ing engines are moving the earth through space though.

Back
Top Bottom