Creating a lunar base

Caporegime
One thing I've wondered with regard to a moon base is how would it deal with the massive temperature variation on the moon? Is there a part of the moon that would have to be used as it has a more stable temperature range or would be have to create some way of regulating the temperatures and if so wouldn't that require a lot of energy?

about 10+ meters of heaped moon dust and rock over the base?

you don't have to build the base on the surface, under the ground (open excavation not tunnel boring) is much more sensible and removes most of the technical issues.

Hey GD, it's been a while.

Question for you, would it at all be feasible (given our current technology) to go back to the moon and create some sort of lunar base?

I guess my question is more about the feasibility of creating structures on the moon given our current methods.

Would scaffolding be enough? Would we need some kind of oxygen perpetuating system? How hard would it be to use modern tools in a big ol' space suit? Would our buildings actually stay up on the moon and be a successful form of shelter? If a spaceman farts on the moon, does it make a sound? These are troubling questions indeed.

Resin.

lots of work has gone in to it and if you mix moon dust with strong epoxy resins you get a stuff that's basically like very strong concrete you can dig trenches use dust to make thick concrete slaps (meters thick) to line the trench and cap it with more slaps and cover.

you need it very think for protection from impacts, radiation and the cold.

but yeah it's doable, can even get water out of the dust.

moon dust has some quite unique properties because of it's structure.

Last edited:
Soldato
what was it? Two 16.8V batteries. That is all you need to withstand 100 degrees C during the day -173 degrees C at night. Considering they only went out during the day, their magic suits would have had to have been as magic as their batteries and as magic as their air con.

All running off two little 16.8 volt batteries, if they were Duracell then ill believe it.

I think the only thing magic about NASA is their tall tales. I do like nasa ability to come up with an answer for everything. I guess when you are that good at lying you have the best expertise in the world to make up your lies for you, you can't be proven wrong due to the nature of the lie, you can't go wrong.

Lol groen :)

Here's a few questions for you to consider. Researching the answers would be a fun way to find out what is wrong with your statements.

1. How long is a lunar day?

2. How long were the Apollo missions on the moon?

With these answered, then you can work out...

3. Therefore, how many lunar days and nights, with their associated extreme temperature variations, were the astronauts and their equipment on the moon for?

Now this last one might not even make much sense to you till you have the answers to the others, but hang in there...

4. What time of the lunar day did the Apollo missions take place?

Good luck.

Permabanned
3. Therefore, how many lunar days and nights, with their associated extreme temperature variations, were the astronauts and their equipment on the moon for?

Trick question, answer is zero, they went up in the rocket and down in a powerchute and straight back to the hollywood studio where the suits and batteries (lol) could withstand the earths temps without any problems.

Irrelevant because they never left the atmosphere. :rolleyes:

I can barely run a desk fan with a 16 volt battery.

Man of Honour
you don't have to build the base on the surface, under the ground (open excavation not tunnel boring) is much more sensible and removes most of the technical issues.

There are quite a lot of reasons why a permanent facility on the moon would have to be subterranean none the least due to meteorite impacts.

Soldato

Trick question, answer is zero, they went up in the rocket and down in a powerchute and straight back to the hollywood studio where the suits and batteries (lol) could withstand the earths temps without any problems.

Irrelevant because they never left the atmosphere. :rolleyes:

I can barely run a desk fan with a 16 volt battery.

If there was an Oscar for best Troll in a motion picture, you would win hands down. Even Robert De Niro could not better you. I saw The Hobbit the other day and there were some pretty convincing Trolls in that, but they pale into insignificance when I read your posts. I salute you Sir. You have taken Method Acting to a new level and I shall make it my life's ambition to ensure I follow all of your subsequent posts. You are the apex predator of credulity.

Permabanned
What we should do is not that difficult. We need to setup a plan for remote management of construction vehicles and we need robots advanced enough to repair and implement communications and other machines that can assist in moon base implementation. Then a ship large enough to send them to the moon. The ship will have to have a transport module that could break off and land on the moon surface with no plan of exit, that contains machines and robots. Now we need to setup comms first and we need two comms satellite at least for backup and robots that can repair the satellites and spare parts and 3d printer. Then we send out the remote controlled construction vehicle and machine to create the moon base for the man. Then when man goes on a one way trip they can land at the moon base. Of course this does not solve the problem of propulsion or the many other problems. This is just how i think it would be done if we ever have the technology to get us there.

Last edited:
Soldato
You would be funny if the posts weren't so dull to read whilst somehow also being mind-bendingly stupid.

No one likes a boring troll.

Soldato
Sure you don't.

You might try and come across like it but I don't believe for a minute you're actually that stupid.

Why is he trolling?
I can't wait for this reply.

The constant nonsense about it being impossible to get the moon and 16v batteries etc.

I don't buy for a minute that he actually believes any of it.

It's all for a reaction - trolling.

Soldato
a moon base is kind of like a space station in many ways, just further away and harder to get to.

technically possible yes, economically feasable no.

its for the same reason we havent tried a manned mars mission by building a large rocket in space [or a space station with engines] and leaving a cookie crumb trail of automated pods containing food etc along the way. nobodys going to pay for that many large rocket launches, not yet anyway

Man of Honour
The constant nonsense about it being impossible to get the moon and 16v batteries etc.

I don't buy for a minute that he actually believes any of it.

It's all for a reaction - trolling.

Apologies, I thought you were on about the OP.

Like I've said before, if America never landed on the Moon why did Russia accept that they did?
For all the 100s of CTs concerning the Moon Landings nobody has ever got past that one.

Soldato
It's been possible for many many years, just we as humans are too stupid to look beyond our own greed and self worth to contribute anything to doing something that good.

We can't even help each other let alone start colonizing other planets/moons. Self destructive that's all we are, that's all we ever will be sadly.

Back
Top Bottom