The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Soldato
has anyone noticed a gap at the top the the monitor running along as if the bezel is not fitted correctly, about a 2mm gap

asus_rog.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
Soldato
That definitely does not look right. I have seen slight gaps that have been uniform all the way around the screen edge of some screens as in it is part of the design but that looks "jagged" and definitely out of place.

Kick butt!

Soldato
That definitely does not look right. I have seen slight gaps that have been uniform all the way around the screen edge of some screens as in it is part of the design but that looks "jagged" and definitely out of place.

Kick butt!

I would hope it's not a common problem with these monitors as the picture is great but the build quality is unacceptable

Soldato
That's enough to tempt me in - gonna have to sell a lot of stuff to fund this but the temptation is just too much for me. :p

Will report back once I receive it for other people interested in the B Grade along with general experience. :)

Very early days but after an evening's usage I can confirm that (unsurprisingly) Bailey's a man of his word and there are no dead pixels. Will have a much deeper look into it over the next few days but no obvious faults I've seen at all. Package was very slightly blemished but better than some non-B-Grade products I've purchased.

Initial thoughts - viewing angles MUCH better than feared. Basically no difference at all when sitting head on as most people will. Video playback also shows no major downgrade other than dark scenes but even then it's not a huge problem.

144 Hz is as fluid as I'd hoped compared to 60 Hz... G-Sync - not sure about this at all. I always used V-Sync previously and was perfectly happy with it. More testing needed before I can give any meaningful input.

3D Vision is garbage on first impressions. That's the only big disappointment but I don't believe it's this monitor's fault - rather the nVidia tech itself. I was hoping for an experience better than anything I've seen in videos and it really isn't - at least not playing Trine which is supposed to be heavily optimised for it. In fact, the experience was much better playing in 2D for me personally. Tried Dead Island Riptide too as it was my current playthrough but was a complete shambles in 3D. Much more experience required before I can give a definitive view but my initial findings conclude it's a feature to avoid unless you're a fan of the current implementation of 3D.

General desktop usage does demonstrate the shortcomings of colour reproduction and vibrancy you lose compared to a good IPS panel but the gaming sure does make up for it. The fluidity really is a huge boost compared to 60 Hz. I was never prepared to sacrifice 1440P once I'd experienced it and this is the first monitor to provide both. This is the reason I purchased it and I'm not disappointed at all. In fact, considering my aforementioned apprehensiveness I'm more than satisfied.

Product - A

B-Grade Quality - A*

I'll follow up with more in due course. I can't hope to offer you the technical insight or depth of experience that some of the commentators have expressed here. But as a general user who's gone from a good quality 1440P IPS all-in-one to this monitor - I am one happy chappy. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Waiting on an rma from Asus who say they're out of stock due to the screen suddenly showing evenly spaced horizontal lines running all the way across the screen from top to bottom. (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26844892&postcount=2664)

Bit worried there's some sort of design defect with the panel as fair few people on ROG forum said they had it too.

Been over a week without a peep from them, wonder if I should just return to the vendor and cancel order or get elsewhere!

Soldato
Set my ROG up last night, generally very impressed so far. For some reason though I don't have the 144 hz refresh rate option to select in either the Nvidia CP or the monitor OSD, highest I have available to select is 120hz. Running 340.52 nvidia drivers(GTX 770 4GB sli), ULMB off, OD normal. 120 hz feels very smooth/fluid in the games I've tested but would like to try 144, will re-install GPU drivers when I get off work, any other tips on getting it working appreciated. Cheers.

Associate
Unfortunately it is the same in all companies. But manager who runs that area has being informed to ensure his staff are fully aware of the rules and are putting the customer first. :)

I wished this was true :(

I purchased a Asus swift around the end of last month but decided to send it back for a replacement because it had dead pixels. I received the replacement monitor at the beginning of this week but the box was damaged and it was missing the power supply / lead, I have a feeling it might be a B grade replacement.

I sent a email asking if they wanted me to send the monitor back or if they could post a power cable and they said they would send me the lead but that was the last I heard from them, I haven’t received anything in the post. I've not been able to use my monitor for a week now so I decided to buy a cheap monitor from PC world to tide me over as I need it for work.

I have just sent an email asking if I could send the monitor back for a refund and managed to get a RMA number but was told I would have to arrange a courier myself because it was an unwanted item. I am sending it back because it has missing items in it though. I also don’t even know if the monitor works or not because I can’t turn it on. It’s a pity because I really like the monitor.

Also, I’m having trouble finding a courier which will insure PC monitors so I’m not sure what to do.

Is this overclockers normal policy on returning items with missing parts?

Soldato
Will let you know how my swift is...arriving today :D

You have to remember with forums like this, people are more likely to post about an issue with something then they are praise it :)

Soldato
Try Witcher 2, Metro 2033 or Metro Last Night in 3D Vision, I thought they looked amazing.

Had very little time to play since I last posted but I gave Witcher 2 a quick go and 3D Vision was still terrible for me.

Not saying it isn't good for other people, just not something that appeals to me. Doesn't effect my happiness with the product too much though, was only considering it a nice bonus if it was to my taste.

In standard vision I also gave Left 4 Dead a short blast to see what it's like playing a fast paced FPS on this monitor and it's a real treat! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
and also many post to **** things off when they cant afford one themselves..........

Unfortunately very true also, especially where gpu's are concerned.

@those trying 3d, did you have to alter the depth etc... To compensate for the higher res? Have tomb raider, crysis 2 and trine 2 installed waiting for a run through. I'd heard from some trine 2 go's mental on this monitor with 3d so I'll have a muck about with that first and see if I can find a fix :)

Back
Top Bottom