The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
I've highlighted one of its short comings.

And it is hit and miss with ETTL, because of 18% grey metering, it won't fire that much a flash behind the subject, because of the whole black lit thing. It is actually very difficult. It is much easier to have the flash off camera going off a set value in manual and ETTL the front.

So I set 2 580ExII's up on manual with 2 flex TT5 receivers, then on camera I have a MiniTT1 with another 580EXII on top on EETL.

Camera set to <1/20th - f.8ish - 800+ISO - 2nd Curtain sync - and every night shot will be perfect......

AC3 seems like a waste of money then really, is there anything that I can replace it with that will still fire the Flex's off 2nd curtain? And give me the ability to change the 2 manual flash powers without walking over to them?

Associate
I just got the Tokina 11 - 16mm 2.8 Is it any good? :p

4825553597_a11708e4f6_z.jpg

Caporegime
So I set 2 580ExII's up on manual with 2 flex TT5 receivers, then on camera I have a MiniTT1 with another 580EXII on top on EETL.

Camera set to <1/20th - f.8ish - 800+ISO - 2nd Curtain sync - and every night shot will be perfect......

AC3 seems like a waste of money then really, is there anything that I can replace it with that will still fire the Flex's off 2nd curtain? And give me the ability to change the 2 manual flash powers without walking over to them?

AC3 is useful in a studio, and lazy...

Soldato
Yes it's the best UWA lens available for crop without a doubt.

Very debatable. It's a good lens and the f/2.8 aperture is nice but the Canon 10-22 goes wider, has more range, better focusing and just edges it on image quality.

EDIT: Unless we're talking about Nikon, then I don't have a clue lol :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Very debatable. It's a good lens and the f/2.8 aperture is nice but the Canon 10-22 goes wider, has more range, better focusing and just edges it on image quality.

EDIT: Unless we're talking about Nikon, then I don't have a clue lol :p

Apparently the new 10-18mm is sharper and cheaper but with less range than the 10-22mm so that's also worth throwing into the mix :) Has similar variable aperture but also has IS which is definitely a plus.

Depends if you really want that F2.8 aperture I guess

Associate
Got this just before I went on holiday for 2 months.

DWBAur4.jpg.png

Canon EOS 70D
Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM (f/3.5-5.6)
Canon EF-S 10-22mm USM (f/3.5-4.5)
Cokin H250A ND Grad kit
Cokin H270A Full ND kit

Absolutely loving it. Just need to find a case now. Borrowed my dad's for the holiday.

Also, next lens looks like it'll be the EF-S 24mm pancake lens if the price is right.

(I've also got a 64GB SanDisk Ultra SD card. The two 32GB SanDisk Extremes that I ordered direct from Amazon turned out to be counterfeits...)

Soldato
Are you going hipster on us Rojin?
I do actually like the bag, doesn't scream photographer, you'd have to make sacrifices on what you take though. The all round zip is useful.

Soldato
Are you going hipster on us Rojin?
I do actually like the bag, doesn't scream photographer, you'd have to make sacrifices on what you take though. The all round zip is useful.

Nah, I would've bought an Ona :D

It easily fits the two bodies with 23mm and 56mm mounted with hoods ready to go. In the middle I can put a 50-230mm, or a couple of other lenses. If I want to take more lenses I can go with just one body. If I need to take it all I've got bigger bags :)

Back
Top Bottom