• iPhone 6 plus 16gb

Votes: 18 3.3%
  • iPhone 6 plus 64gb

Votes: 109 20.1%
  • iPhone 6 plus 128gb

Votes: 62 11.4%

• Total voters
Caporegime
I think a lot of the problems people face is that they don't really understand business.

I'm sure everyone can remember the old Western movies where you have some very clever confidence trickster selling a bottle of Elixir from the back of his wagon. The guy claims it will do everything from cleaning stains of your clothes to being an aphrodisiac.

Well basically business today is no different and Apple really are masters of the art, though as said all businesses do it.

They rely on a few things to be successful -(1) they have to carry you along with all the hype and (2) they rely on the fact that human beings love having new things, even if quite often they don't need them.

The keynote speech is today's equivalent of the guy shouting to the crowd off the back of his chuck wagon - it really is as simple as that. Apple simply need to carry everyone on their wave of anticipation.

I suspect that once the bills start to roll in a couple of months time many people will have buyers remorse. They will say to themselves what an absolute fool I was to spend all this money when I already had something that works perfectly well, or I should have bought something that wasn't going to land me with all this debt.

Will most people publicly admit to that - well of course they won't. Some really honest folk will, but most will silently grin and bare it vowing never to be so stupid again - until the next time.

I think you just have to recognise things like the Apple keynote speech for what they are i.e. huge selling opportunities. The internet has made this sort of hard sell much worse as it's instant live and global.

I'm sure lot's of people will reply as to why they haven't fallen for this, but we all fall for it at some time or another, whether it's Apple, other businesses or even politicians trying to get your vote.

Have you considered that maybe there are people who have looked at the costs of the phone (such as everyone in the thread looking at the cost over 2 years) and decided that, on balance, it is worth it? If someone uses Macs, has other iOS devices, uses iTunes Match etc. then it doesn't matter how good an alternative Android handset is, it won't do the job that they require.

What point are you making? That the Keynote is a marketing exercise and advertising affects peoples buying habits? That seems pretty obvious. Your point can be boiled down to "Apple are very good at getting people to part with cash that they might not have", which is the entire point of a company existing. If the cost of their products started to outweigh the value gained from using them, then people would stop buying them. Personally I think a 20-30% premium over Android is a price worth paying.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's the thing that you're failing to grasp though. 'Competitive' doesn't mean the same thing to everyone - you look at the hardware specs, and that's fine. A lot of people (including me) are in the position where if it doesn't run iOS then it isn't an option, so a non-iPhone will never be the better choice.

Soldato
Would anyone agree if the iPhone had android phone specs, but the iOS OS it would be the best phone? If it's the specs that let people down then some of you really need to open your eyes.

A phone should do what you need it to do. Complaining about the price of upgrades/new phones is irrelevant. Technology changes every day, it's a very successful business plan. Apple will always be behind on the hardware but it's the user interface which makes up for it.

I have used Android phones and I cannot withstand that minute lag they get. The iPhone is fluid the whole experience is easy going. Can't get any better then that for me.

Soldato
The issue is desirability and competition. Apple's competition used to suck, they had the best interface, were easy to use and were well built devices, plus the iphone was quite a desirable thing to have. Now, everyone has one, the competition is much better and we have a much wider choice of handset, containing better hardware at a cheaper price point. Also the os's of various other devices are getting better an better. Its easy to stand out when everything around you sucks, but when they catch up it becomes hard to stay on top.

Im not saying iphones now suck, but they are becoming to look expensive around their competition.

Caporegime
There are better specked tablets than my ipad 4 but it just works flawlessly with a solid feel and experience....

It's not all about the hardware under the hood....I'm an apple noob and only got the ipad through work....but I can now see why people love apple products..

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Not competitive you say..

As seen on Apple's iPhone tech specs webpage, both the iPhone 6 and its larger iPhone 6 Plus sibling leverage next-generation H.265 technology, also known as High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), for encoding and decoding FaceTime video calls over cellular. The phones also support the older H.264 standard first championed by Apple with legacy devices like the Apple TV and third-generation iPad.

According to Matthew Fleming, an expert in the field of signals processing who spotted the new iPhone 6 feature, H.265 promises to deliver video quality identical to H.264 AVC at only half the bit rate. This translates into a massive overhead reduction much needed in constrained data systems like cellular networks.

"This has the potential to give Apple a serious advantage in the mobile video calling domain where bandwidth is at a premium," Fleming said.

Exactly how Apple is implementing H.265 is unknown at this time, but considering the feature is restricted to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, some speculate the new A8 SoC incorporates a specialized encoder/decoder module not present in older handsets. Further, Fleming points out that while Macs have the processing power to run software-based H.265 encoder/decoder solutions, portables usually require hardware integration.

The H.265 draft standard was first released by the Motion Pictures Expert Group in 2012, but has yet to see wide adoption in the consumer device market.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...lus-use-h265-codec-for-facetime-over-cellular

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I read the above and just realised that I have never, ever, in my entire Mac Pro, MacBook or iPhone ownership life received or made call via FaceTime. Skype yes (cause it's cross platform). Google Hangouts yes (cause it's cross platform). FaceTime never. Pattern emerging.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im not saying iphones now suck, but they are becoming to look expensive around their competition.

They have always been expensive around competition. Doesnt matter much really though because they equally hold their value a lot more than competition. Can you go into a shop and buy a phone from anyone else on release day then then sell it for ~£200 more if you wanted to? I bought a 5S on release and someone offered me £50 more for it just as I walked out the shop!!

Caporegime
I read the above and just realised that I have never, ever, in my entire Mac Pro, MacBook or iPhone ownership period received or made call via FaceTime.

My 14 year old daughter has an iPhone 5s and I didnt know what FaceTime was until I got the ipad and now we use it all the time....she chats to her grandparents with it ...and it just works!!!!!

Soldato
They have always been expensive around competition. Doesnt matter much really though because they equally hold their value a lot more than competition. Can you go into a shop and buy a phone from anyone else on release day then then sell it for ~£200 more if you wanted to? I bought a 5S on release and someone offered me £50 more for it just as I walked out the shop!!

Yes but my point is they were much better than the competition imo, in terms of functionality, features and UI.

Associate
It would be good if they increased the charging rate to something more like the 2.5amp for the iPads with the larger batteries instead of 1amp. My 5s seems to charge up so slowly compared to my 4s. I know the 5s battery is bigger but the 6 plus I've ordered will take ages to charge.

Caporegime
Why does every new iphone thread always come to this ?

The android users come in and bitch and moan about how expensive it is and **** the apple users off for being sheep and paying the price, and all the apple users who perceive the extra to be worth it bite back to justify their choice.

Can we not just drop it ?

Back
Top Bottom