Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well, after nearly 4 years & 30,000+miles of regular cycling I guess it had to happen. I've had an acceident.

Cycling along at around 26mph, going into a slight right hander, when a motorbike pulled out of a side road on my left.
No time to react to him so nothing I could do except go straight into the side of him.

Got the usual comment....."sorry didn't see you" :rolleyes: Then he had the cheek to say, sorry but I'm in a rush is it ok if I get off!!

Bike ok, my right knee & elbow a little sore, but my lower left abdomen is very sore & swollen as thats where I landed on his handlebar/brake lever.

Well after a couple of days my bruise is starting to show itself !!

Soldato
I've really been working on my cadence the past few days and managed to hit a new BP today - 512.

http://www.strava.com/activities/194763577

Either I've got super powers or my cadence sensor/phone bluetooth is dodgy as hell. Going to move the cadence sensor to my turbo trainer tonight so I guess that will answer my question for me.

Looks like just 1 little blip. It's not going to throw out your average (which is the important number).

Man of Honour
Looks like just 1 little blip. It's not going to throw out your average (which is the important number).

On that one ride it's just the one blip but on others it has been worse (not as extreme a number but more frequently bad and/or for longer periods).

The average number that Strava presents is pretty dodgy as well in my opinion but I already went on about that a page or two back so I won't bore everyone with it again :p

Soldato
Does anybody here own the newer Garmin wireless cadence/speed sensors? I am contemplating getting them now that I have a compatible Garmin (my 605 couldn't connect to them), I was just wondering if they work as well as the old one that used the magnet.

Also, I made my first visit on the bike to Richmond Park yesterday, as part of the London Duathlon. Having roads free of cars made for a wonderful experience, and as luck would have it, the deer stayed clear as well. The ride part of my race was four laps of the park, for a total of 44km. Once nice thing about having never ridden there before is that I collected a couple of hundred achievements on Strava; http://www.strava.com/activities/194463411. As you can see, my time wasn't great, but in my defence I had just run 10k and I knew I had to run another 5k, so I couldn't push very hard. If anybody is considering a duathlon as an introduction to multisport events I would definitely recommend the London Duathlon - it was a very well run event, and I very much enjoyed the day :)

Soldato
New bike has arrived :cool:

Managed to put it together roughly, harder then it looks when you are on crutches. Pleased with the way it looks , need to swap out the wheels for my hand built ones then I need to get my leg fixed so I can take it for a spin!

2mcawx0.jpg

eti36h.jpg

20p7p6d.jpg

Soldato
For the price I don't think you can go too far wrong , long story short I got it for £1520.

Hopefully will ride as good as it looks. Roughly checked to see if I can get my bike fit measurements on it and I will be able to easily so L frame was the correct size.

Soldato
Hard to argue against the Canyon stuff. Regardless what model you buy they seem to offer great value. So nice that you get better than average wheels and proper decent tyres. I know over on BR their seem to have been quite a few QC issues with the seatposts but vs the number of bikes they sell its probably no more that most brands.

If I buy a new bike or frame next year then I reckon Canyon will be on the shortlist

Soldato
Does anybody here own the newer Garmin wireless cadence/speed sensors? I am contemplating getting them now that I have a compatible Garmin (my 605 couldn't connect to them), I was just wondering if they work as well as the old one that used the magnet.

Got mine on my MTB, only used them on one ride so far, but no issues. BTW the ride was 100 miles off road and 11 hours or so, so fairly well used.

Will be transferring the speed sensor to the turbo bike for the winter, but they seem sturdy enough, just not as quick to read the initial movement.

Soldato
Hard to argue against the Canyon stuff. Regardless what model you buy they seem to offer great value. So nice that you get better than average wheels and proper decent tyres. I know over on BR their seem to have been quite a few QC issues with the seatposts but vs the number of bikes they sell its probably no more that most brands.

If I buy a new bike or frame next year then I reckon Canyon will be on the shortlist

That was with the V2 seatpost which I opted against.

[DOD]Asprilla;26903163 said:
Order now and you might get it next year......

Thats the rumour , as I said I wasn't bothered how long it took to come come because of leg. Sure enough it was here within 2 weeks of ordering and that wasn't from stock.:)

Soldato
Got mine on my MTB, only used them on one ride so far, but no issues. BTW the ride was 100 miles off road and 11 hours or so, so fairly well used.

Will be transferring the speed sensor to the turbo bike for the winter, but they seem sturdy enough, just not as quick to read the initial movement.
I was thinking of doing something similar, in that I could connect it to my indoor trainer, and along with the HRM I could get some meaningful data. It looks as though it's quite easy to swap between bikes, so it shouldn't be a big deal to move it to the trainer. Do you have both the speed and cadence sensors, or just the speed one?

Soldato
Aye it's lovely sure enough.

Canyon definitely on my shortlist, would prefer a Cervélo though.

Similar thinking here. Shortlist for me

Bianchi Infinito CV - chorus
Basso Astra - chorus
Cervelo S3
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

I'd have another Wilier but not keen on the current paint jobs

Soldato
I was thinking of doing something similar, in that I could connect it to my indoor trainer, and along with the HRM I could get some meaningful data. It looks as though it's quite easy to swap between bikes, so it shouldn't be a big deal to move it to the trainer. Do you have both the speed and cadence sensors, or just the speed one?

I will be primarily using my Garmin Vector pedals for Turbo work over the winter, but good to compare outputs with the estimates on trainer road.

I have both, I also have the old GSC10 on my road bike.

Man of Honour
So.. Trainer Road only supports a very specific bluetooth dongle. It does technically say this in the documentation but the logos and such it has plastered everywhere give the impression that it supports BT4/LE dongles. Extremely irritating. Random sufferfest video for today and hopefully tomorrow a new BT4 dongle that is the particular kind they like will arrive from RS Components.

Sigh :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom