• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Associate
well nvidia took the hump this time.

kudos to you for checking but posting them on our forum created a problem that we had to fix quickly

Well that's a nice response just shame i didn't see these so called links ! ;)

Probably still getting 290x i feel but really would be foolish to buy anything until tomorrow.

Associate
The skipped the name series to avoid confusion with the non maxwell 880M series that already exist

Its funny indeed since there is a 750 maxwell.

Plus the 880M is M for mobile wasn't it most of the times the same case with mobile versions being last years chip architecture from the desktops being stripped down and optimised to work for laptops? To the naive person it would seem that skipping a generation they would expect a huge bump on the performance between say a 780 and a 980. Lets see how the end product is i was really looking forward to it but i might pass this gen and go for the next one.

Associate
It wasn't remotely exciting, until the last couple of days (and the chatter of great performance at a low price & wattage).

Although that could likely be the usual hype.

The hype seems to grow in the telling as well like Chinese whispers it starts off as it cant run games above 1080 to .. we need to buy 5k monitors by the end of the tonight.

Permabanned
Some games like example Crysis 3 are not ideal if you set all to MAX @ 1080p on a single 780Ti, there are a few more games the same and only more to come.

Most games can be played at 1440p (though I was on 2304x1440p not 2560x1440p).

Tomorrow I will be on 2560x1440p for now I am on back up Mitsubishi monitor (FW900 is gubbed) so 1920x1440p.

Soldato
Associate
well am 780 handles is without issue, so I see no reason why it wouldnt

There isn't a single GPU which can easily run the most demanding of games at a resolution of 1440p while maintaining high frame rates. Sure, you can get most games playable if you're willing to sacrifice some settings, but "without issue" is really quite relative. I'm not willing to call that "without issue", and I would guess most people around here wouldn't either.

To properly run 1440p and up without having to sacrifice much in the way of settings you absolutely need at least 2 GPUs.

Caporegime
as anything some people will except lower frame rates than others.

someone might say minimum of 30 fps is fine

someone might say minimums of 60 is fine.

im in the bracket of 60 fps min so its very expensive even at lower res.

even in some modern games top end cards struggle to hit 60 fps at 1080 and many enthusiasts consider than normal res now not high.

Associate
So I was just about to bite the bullet on an i7 4790K, Gigabyte X97 Gaming 7 and a 290 VaporX today

Now I guess I need to wait :/ boo no PC for weekend then

Associate
I think people are confusing ultra settings with AA I run 1440p at ultra with a SC Titan and get 100fps +on nearly all games but I have AA either x2 or off and you don't notice it at all

Back
Top Bottom