Sky Go quality

Soldato
This might not be the best forum to ask so feel free to move this if it isn't but...

What kind of quality is to be expected from Sky Go streaming? 24fps or 60fps or something in between?

Obviously this might depend on the PC playing it and the connection etc but what quality/fps does Sky provide?

Caporegime
SD but I'm not sure about frame rate. It's similar to an older SD feed from Sky+ off example. Certainly watchable if your connection is up to it.

Soldato
OP
I have a decent enough connection with virgin giving me 150+Mbit/s and the PC in question plays local HD content alright too but the sports feed is a bit choppy and it just looks like low FPS.

Just wondering if theres any way to improve it I guess?

Soldato
I have a decent enough connection with virgin giving me 150+Mbit/s and the PC in question plays local HD content alright too but the sports feed is a bit choppy and it just looks like low FPS.

Just wondering if theres any way to improve it I guess?

Sky go is normally set to automatically adjust quality. If you leave it a few seconds the picture should improve. (if not there is a quality setting on the control bar)

Ive streamed live content to a 32" HD tv and not noticed any real choppiness and the quality was reasonable.

Like all live streamed contented its not the bandwidth as much as the latency thats the main issue.

Soldato
As above it will automatically set quality to suit your connection.

It's pretty good quality normally, sometimes you might experience some buffering when lots of people are using it eg weekends.

Soldato
As above it will automatically set quality to suit your connection.

It's pretty good quality normally, sometimes you might experience some buffering when lots of people are using it eg weekends.

It always starts at the lowest setting and works its way up, so will always look bad when started.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone know what the best quality is? It doesn't seem to get past 24/30fps judging from the choppiness when it pans during football etc.

I watch hockey from a dedicated streaming site and I know that's 60fps and it's definitely smoother than what's on Sky! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out some hidden setting to bump up the fps

Associate
It streams a lot smoother on tablets with the sky go app. thats what i noticed.
works best on ipads but android tablets not too bad either.

Soldato
OP
Resolution wise it looks fine on the 50" that my housemate uses but it gets a bit flickery when the camera pans fast and I get the same from low FPS streams of other sports I used to download occasionally.

Shame they don't give you 60fps for sports channels :/

Soldato
OP
do they even film it at 60fps ?

A lot of sports is filmed at 60 these days I think. I don't watch much football but with the ice hockey that I want I find it pretty damn easy to tell when it isn't at 60fps. It's usually lower than 60 when I have to download a crappy stream rip.

I guess Sky might not want to spent more money on the extra bandwidth required since it's just a free/cheap feature of Sky contracts.

Soldato
OP
Standard filming in the UK is 50, the US use 60

For sports or just general filming? Think I read somewhere about PAL and NTSC having different frame rates/refresh rates etc but even if that' the case, that won't translate to streaming as I'm sure Sky only give 24/30fps if you're lucky when using Skygo. It's not really an issue for regular programs but for sports higher is definitely better.

Associate
I'm sure that's refresh rates UK/US you can totally tell when something has been shot in 60fps. Watching basketball games is so much nicer to watch in full 60fps.

Back
Top Bottom