Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I need a bit of help. I bought the complete Jag wire inner & outer cable set from Ebay like many other probably did. Having looked at the set i cant work out how i will install an inline cable adjuster for the front derailleur.

The adjuster thats currently installed looks like this.

jagwire.com/products/v/Inline_Adjusters

I assumed i would be able to re-use this part but I now think i am a cable short.

This is the set i bought
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301240278160?_tr...49&var=600285513557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
Soldato
I got the same kit.
You should have enough cable for it, I always have loads spare when I use these kits. You need to cut it yourself though.
There is 1 length of gear cable outer and 1 length of brake cable outer.

Take your old cables off and measure the new outers against the old ones before you cut it.

Soldato
Posh turbo there ;)

I did A Very Dark Place last week after someone started talking about it - put me right off the turbo atm ... will probably wait until mid October now when its dark/cold outside

Yeah, I did an "extra shot" tonight which is only 20mins and I was a sweaty mess! Might just go to RP some evenings with lights until it gets properly cold and dark at 5pm.

Soldato
I had assumed thatI would need 2 inner cables to use the inline adjuster , but if I now understand it correctly the Jagwire adjuster only effects the outer cable. The inner cable goes straight through the adjuster and only the outer is cut. Is this correct?

Going to order myself a set of park tool cutters.

Soldato
I had assumed thatI would need 2 inner cables to use the inline adjuster , but if I now understand it correctly the Jagwire adjuster only effects the outer cable. The inner cable goes straight through the adjuster and only the outer is cut. Is this correct?

I'm pretty sure thats correct.
Take the old one apart first before you cut anything to be sure

Caporegime

Yes. The inner goes all the way through, it's only the outer that gets split by the adjuster.

Soldato
So... Quick go on the turbo and presumably an old piece of glass stuck in the tyre has been pushed further in...and punctured the tube :rolleyes: Damn you OMS and your making me tighten up the screw bolt thing :p

I guess I'll have to put a fresh/cheap tyre on there.

edit: In case Grudas is wondering, my turbo trainer bike doesn't have pro4s on it :p

one day.. ;) really unlucky tho

Soldato
Hey guys, any tips on connecting my GSC10 to my S5? There's nothing specifically within Android for connecting ANT+ devices, I have 2 apps listed ('ANT Radio Service' & 'ANT+ Plugins Service'), both are updated and running.

Within Strava -> Settings -> Bluetooth Sensors, changing Bluetooth to 4.0/LE (only other option is 2.0) then putting a tick in the box next to Cadence' just show's 'Searching...' and never finds anything. 2.0 doesn't even give me that - still finds nothing.

Within Bluetooth I have scanned and found a 'RC Bluetooth' device and paired with it. Same again within Strava... nothing listed.

I'm sure I'm missing something but google searches turning up very little... :(

Soldato
Posh turbo there ;)

I did A Very Dark Place last week after someone started talking about it - put me right off the turbo atm ... will probably wait until mid October now when its dark/cold outside

If you really want to hate the TT, get I****IATT (It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time - darn swear filter). 2 hours of pain - pack a gel.

Man of Honour
Hey guys, any tips on connecting my GSC10 to my S5? There's nothing specifically within Android for connecting ANT+ devices, I have 2 apps listed ('ANT Radio Service' & 'ANT+ Plugins Service'), both are updated and running.

Within Strava -> Settings -> Bluetooth Sensors, changing Bluetooth to 4.0/LE (only other option is 2.0) then putting a tick in the box next to Cadence' just show's 'Searching...' and never finds anything. 2.0 doesn't even give me that - still finds nothing.

Within Bluetooth I have scanned and found a 'RC Bluetooth' device and paired with it. Same again within Strava... nothing listed.

I'm sure I'm missing something but google searches turning up very little... :(

I think for Ant+ you'll need to use IpBike or the like. Strava doesn't work with Ant+ on Android (le suck). As far as I know there is no way to set it to "translate" Ant+ stuff into BT for Strava.

I could be wrong of course - I'd love to be, in fact :)

one day.. ;) really unlucky tho

The annoying thing is that the tyre had a puncture before my first use on the turbo so I spent ages going through it and pulling out any random bits of crap. I also put a new inner on the wheel. Ho-hum.

Maybe I'll just buy a proper training tyre, though the spare cheap one I have is literally sitting around doing nothing right now.

Soldato
Back after a couple of days of riding for Charity again, but this time I was getting paid to do it! Happy Days, first day was a ride from Oxford - Reading - Aldershot, visiting a couple of depots, and then second from Aldershot - Epsom - Kennington - St Mary Cray, I then cycled back to Epsom at TT esque pace to get back before they locked the depot up where my car was.

First day we had a fair old mixture of bikes from Roadies, to Hybrids and MTBs and even a couple on a tandem, but everyone made it round, 16 people in total. I was one of the ride leaders, as had the Garmin and found it just as hard to keep the group togetherish and at a good enough pace for everyone.

Second day was the main core group of 9 who will ride every day through to Friday. In total it is about 370 miles for the whole week, but with some of the equipment they are using, with very little training, it's definitely an impressive feat. Going to try to join up with the guys on Friday, as could only get the Monday/Tuesday full days from work, and it's my 30th on Thursday so didn't really want to spend it away from Friends and Family! (Hopeful of cycling related presents :p)

Shameless Strava based Charity plug! :D If you follow the justgiving link I'm the one with the bear on my head!

http://www.strava.com/activities/197966866

http://www.strava.com/activities/198444794

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont think the strava app supports ANT+

I think for Ant+ you'll need to use IpBike or the like. Strava doesn't work with Ant+ on Android (le suck). As far as I know there is no way to set it to "translate" Ant+ stuff into BT for Strava.

I could be wrong of course - I'd love to be, in fact :)

You're right, what a complete let down! Very surprised about Strava's responses and attitude towards it - like it's not even high priority?!

Would IpBike allow me to upload my rides to Strava in the same way the Strava app does with the additional cadence from the GSC10? Or is this the point where I move away from Strava?! :(

Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour
You're right, what a complete let down! Very surprised about Strava's responses and attitude towards it - like it's not even high priority?!

Would IpBike allow me to upload my rides to Strava in the same way the Strava app does with the additional cadence from the GSC10? Or is this the point where I move away from Strava?! :(

I can't say for sure as I've not used that exact combination but assuming your phone supports Ant+ IpBike should work fine with the GSC10 and supports automatic uploading to Strava.

You can use the free version of IpBike for anything but super long rides (or perhaps it wants you to buy after riding a certain (large) amount of miles, I can't remember) so you can test it very easily :)

edit: Strava's rather cack response to it is one of the things that slightly lessens my guilt over using Strava so much and having only paid for premium for 1 month. I probably should start paying for it anyhow I guess...

Soldato
What clinchers do people recomend. <£400?

I seen these at £235

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-ultegra-6800-road-wheelset/rp-prod109835

Looking to replace my wheelset as the current ones where damaged in a crash.

I weight 76Kg wheels will be used during the summer months with a mix and match spare set being used in the winter.

[DOD]Asprilla;26949716 said:
Hand builts, every time.

http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk will do H Plus Son Archetypes on Ultegra 6800 hubs for £329.

I'd agree with the above love the H plus son rims.

Associate
I no longer have any room in my flat for 2 bikes so if anyone in London is looking for a 52cm squared fixed bike I am potentially selling mine...!

DSCF0596.JPG

Soldato
Looking at the various hand built wheels. The one thing i did see about the H Plus Son wheels is they appear pretty heavy at 1920g per set. Now not being a weight weenie this appears quite a lot compared to the mavic aksiums 1735g and cost less than half the price or does this kind of weight difference not matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom