How does your local Doctors appointment system work?

Soldato
Your appointment slot ends up being the following one as they're always running late and you have about 2-3 weeks to wait for an appointment. If they recognise your voice or find you're elderly it can be that day or next morning though. Waiting room is always empty.

Soldato
If you have a urgent problem you get to see a doc the same day, if its just "my big toe nail has gone funny" or "I have a backache" i.e. non-urgent then you wait a couple of weeks. If its serious or life threatening then you go straight to A&E, at least thats how it works around here.

They're there for, y'know, genuine medical complaints not because you demand to see them because you've cut your finger.

Soldato
Attempt to ring up at opening time. Continue attempting to ring back up to 30 times. Miserable woman answers asking what my issue is. Tells me she had an appointment in either 5 minutes or 5 weeks.

And

And

Associate
You think that's bad? I ring up mine and unless I push-push-push I'm told the next available appointment is in 2 weeks. Pushing means a triage nurse will call back, talk to you, and offer you a chance at waiting after 5pm and seeing the first available GP. The surgery closes at 6.30pm and a number of times I've been waiting more than an hour to see a GP. Even when I have had an appointment it's always at least 15 minutes on top of that to wait. Oh, and each GP has a sign on the door about 8 minutes being the limit to see someone.

Recently our local Doctors surgery has changed it's appointment system so that the only way you can see a Doctor now is you have to ring up first and tell them what the problem is, then the Nurse will tell you a Doctor will ring you back within so many hours (not a specific time) for a telephone assessment, and then he/she during that assessment will decide if it's worth coming in or it.

****ing pathetic.

Since when has seeing a doctor become a 'near' emergency only process?

Is this becoming the norn now?

Soldato
ring at 8:30am if its urgent and they tell you to come wait in line at 11am.

if its not urgent you will get an appointment 2 weeks later.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Recently our local Doctors surgery has changed it's appointment system so that the only way you can see a Doctor now is you have to ring up first and tell them what the problem is, then the Nurse will tell you a Doctor will ring you back within so many hours (not a specific time) for a telephone assessment, and then he/she during that assessment will decide if it's worth coming in or it.

****ing pathetic.

Since when has seeing a doctor become a 'near' emergency only process?

Is this becoming the norn now?

Really depends where you live, I moved doctors because I was not prepared to discuss it with the person who answers the phone.

We have a care home and we can plead for a doctor to come out and they refuse to see some one in their 90's. They just say if she gets any worse call an ambulance, we then get complaints from the hospital saying were calling 999 too much......

Caporegime
I can book appointments and order repeat prescriptions online on the practice website, and I don't have to give a reason. Shocking service that some of you are describing.

Caporegime
mine is OK - no chance of an appointment any time soon but you just get told to turn up at 8:00 in the morning on the day... everyone queues at 7:30.. I've found the best move is simply to turn up at say 8:15 once they've processed the queue and allocated times and you get an estimated time slot circa 12:00pm... they then give you the option to come back instead of hanging around in the waiting room

Associate
Well, I ring up for an appointment and am usually seen within 30 mins. We do have to pay $90 for the privilege though, I suppose we could go to a bulk billing doctor and not pay, but I like my one :)

Caporegime
Really depends where you live, I moved doctors because I was not prepared to discuss it with the person who answers the phone.

We have a care home and we can plead for a doctor to come out and they refuse to see some one in their 90's. They just say if she gets any worse call an ambulance, we then get complaints from the hospital saying were calling 999 too much......

Associate
Phone up, speak to intrusive and rude reception staff, get told the next appointment is 3 weeks away. Have to speak to a doctor and fake near death to get an appointment any sooner

Associate
Mine is the same as the OP

You can't book an appointment anymore, have to have someone call you back, half the time they can't phone you back because they are fully booked for the day, it's a joke to be honest. terrible.

Soldato
I ring up, see doctor same day easily, pay the $40 (20 quid). Done.

The NHS is a farce and I'm glad I no longer live in the UK and have to deal with it's nonsense. It's much nicer just paying a small fee to guarantee seeing your normal doctor when needed. It's not like the NHS is free either as national insurance is used for it! Loads of UK doctors over here now all saying they left the UK as it's too overcrowded and mismanaged with a poor work/life ratio.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ring up, they call you back in x mins (usually within 30 mins) get appointment for later that day if before 9am.
If not go in and wait. took about 45 mins last time.
costs 200Kr per appointment for any reason.

Seems like most of the Docs here are Polish instead of Indian/Asian.

I think there is something seriously wrong if you are having to wait upto 2 weeks.

Soldato
Just been through this. Phoned on Tuesday afternoon, asking for a telephone consultation. Doc rings back Wednesday lunch and, after a chat, says I need to go in. I immediately rang the clinic to get appointment and I'm going in Thursday at 0830.

Simple and effective.

Back
Top Bottom