iPhone 6+ bendgate issue.

Soldato
It is not really surprising, thin Aluminium will bend.

Perhaps they should have used Titanium, but then you could probably add another couple of hundred quid to the retail price.

Or maybe they need to get over the Aluminium fetish, and start thinking about stylish plastics!

Defininately seems like a design flaw though, insomuch as it seems like they have not used material thick enough or with adequate reinforcement in the structure.

However, something that I have not seen explored is whether the issue could be due to internal heat fluxes distorting internal components that then cause the bending rather than just the external case bending due to external forces.

One report I have read was a guy who had the phone in front pockets of loose fitting suit trousers. Should be no physical pressure there really, so perhaps it is a heat issue causing distortion?

Either way, it seems like a gaff of epic proportions!

I blame Bono!! Boo hiss! :D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My iPhone 6 is bent :(

It's started talking in a flirtatious manner and giving me the "come to bed" eyes.

Soldato
It is not really surprising, thin Aluminium will bend.

Perhaps they should have used Titanium, but then you could probably add another couple of hundred quid to the retail price.

Or maybe they need to get over the Aluminium fetish, and start thinking about stylish plastics!

Defininately seems like a design flaw though, insomuch as it seems like they have not used material thick enough or with adequate reinforcement in the structure.

However, something that I have not seen explored is whether the issue could be due to internal heat fluxes distorting internal components that then cause the bending rather than just the external case bending due to external forces.

One report I have read was a guy who had the phone in front pockets of loose fitting suit trousers. Should be no physical pressure there really, so perhaps it is a heat issue causing distortion?

Either way, it seems like a gaff of epic proportions!

I blame Bono!! Boo hiss! :D

Aluminium is a premium material. Apple said so!

To be fair it would probably be fine had they have made the casing a bit thicker.

Last edited:
Soldato
Metal thing in bending when applied pressure non shocker. Next week, plastic melts in small lighter based fire.

So naive. The issue isn't about a metal object bending when force is applied, it's about whether the amount of force required to bend the phone is less then acceptable.

Soldato
So naive. The issue isn't about a metal object bending when force is applied, it's about whether the amount of force required to bend the phone is less then acceptable.

In which case someone needs to perform a scientific test, with force meters and stuff based on real world pockets. Someone phone the guys from MythBusters...

Some bearded faux hipster numpty who likes unboxing things, trying to get YouTube hits by bending an already weakened iPhone is not scientific.

Caporegime

Well the only 'scientific' test I've seen is someone using all their strength to bend it. There's no way of knowing the circumstances of all the other reports but it's probably down to user stupidity.

Soldato
Soldato
Jeez, I wonder how long it will take them to acknowledge, bit like the antenna issue with the 4, they really tried to fob that one off for a long time.

If people are sitting on it with it in their back pockets then fair dos, I would expect some damage but also for it to be extremely uncomfortable :p Large people take cushions with them wherever they go I guess.

However I saw a few saying they'd only had them in shirt pockets or front pockets.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yep, the 6+ has no chassis/frame inside and the screen panel sits on top. The thin aluminium is simply not strong enough over that length on its own.
Strange coming from a company who mastered the unibody years ago, wonder how it slipped through quality control?

Back
Top Bottom