iPhone 6+ bendgate issue.

Soldato
I could do exactly the same kind of thing to my HTC One M8 if I put that kind of pressure on it.. But the fact is, people don't pull on their phones like that, because it's going to break them..

Commissario
Oh and another argument against a case - My phone is also my GPS and I use a Brodit mount which holds the phone snugly. That would mean that every time I got in and out of the car, I'd have to uncase and then recase my phone when I get out which would get very tedious very quickly.

Associate
Oh and another argument against a case - My phone is also my GPS and I use a Brodit mount which holds the phone snugly. That would mean that every time I got in and out of the car, I'd have to uncase and then recase my phone when I get out which would get very tedious very quickly.

Caseless is the way to go ;)

Soldato
Not that these don't have a problem. Watch this one, does seem quite easy to bend.

I can't watch the video with sound at work so may have missed something about the video but judging how white his thumbs go it looks like a fair amount of force is being applied. I think it is still an issue but it looks like it may be a less of an issue than initially suggested.

Associate
I can't watch the video with sound at work so may have missed something about the video but judging how white his thumbs go it looks like a fair amount of force is being applied. I think it is still an issue but it looks like it may be a less of an issue than initially suggested.

The thing's a bit overblown but what appears to be a design flaw shouldn't have been brushed aside so readily, the regular 6 seems to hold up just fine.

Soldato
That people are defending this is quite amazing. Confirmation bias is a funny thing.

Correct, im :confused: at people telling themselves its all ok, sure, as far as we know the phone still works when its bent, but it WILL bend eventually, these are facts, yet people are trying to say otherwise is abit........odd.........almost like a religion in the way of thinking.

Associate
So you know that video, the one with the bending? Cries of fake now abound. Does look a little dodgy, check at 1.39 on the video phone says 2:26PM yet later in the vid at 2.46 it says 1:59PM? The bit I'm really suspicious of is, if you look at the video in 4k res you can see a what looks a lot like a fracture line above the switches. This is before he's bent it, indicating it's been bent at least once before and straightened. Explaining why it bent so easily on the overhead shots.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/bendgate-faked-clock-inaccuracies/

----------------------------------------

Not that these don't have a problem. Watch this one, does seem quite easy to bend.

He said he barely uses any presure at all :D Yeah right it really looks like he's barely using any presure at all, I don't think the bending issue is going to be a problem for 99.9% of users and have no intention of cancelling my IPhone 6+ order.

Soldato
Correct, im :confused: at people telling themselves its all ok, sure, as far as we know the phone still works when its bent, but it WILL bend eventually, these are facts, yet people are trying to say otherwise is abit........odd.........almost like a religion in the way of thinking.

It is all okay though... Under normal use the majority of people will not / have not had a problem (if we take apple numbers: 99.99991% are currently unaffected). If you're a tit and apply excessive force then it will bend, physics shocker!!!!

The question is what is excessive force, putting it in your pocket and sitting on it... is that excessive force? As mentioned above... would you put expensive ray ban sunglasses in your back pocket and sit on them? That would exert excessive force. You may think that they are odd comparisons but they ultimately come down to "premium" products.

If I was to put the phone in my front pocket where there is little "excessive" force and it bent, then I would be annoyed and seeking to get the matter resolved.

To be honest, I don't think any can say **** until a month or two of regular use and then looking at the number of actual cases (pun?)

Associate
but judging how white his thumbs go it looks like a fair amount of force is being applied.

Yeah, you can see his hands shaking from the force.

From Apples response I'm happy to keep my order open and I'm sure Mr Phone Bender is a few K richer from all those YouTube hits.

Man of Honour
Yes I'm gonna buy a new car today, drive it into a wall while filming and call it crashgate

The funniest bit about this is all the tech blog dudes throwing money away for no reason at all except to increase traffic

Soldato
That people are defending this is quite amazing. Confirmation bias is a funny thing.

You might be on a different band wagon to Apple fan boys but a band wagon is still a band wagon.

Why Apple seems to invoke such strong reactions I don't know but you cannot say "it WILL bend eventually, these are facts". The facts are a very small percentage of them have bent apparently through normal use and where excess force hasn't been applied. If the phones are so weak why haven't they all bent by now? We don't actually know it is a design flaw, it could simply be a flaw in the manufacturing due to trying to rush produce so many. I don't actually think it is manufacturing but until someone does a more scientific test than a youtube video of look at me I can bend an iphone or the phone has been out longer to get a better understanding of how many are suffering. We simply do not know how big of an issue it is, to claim otherwise is jumping on a band wagon.

Soldato
Yes I'm gonna buy a new car today, drive it into a wall while filming and call it crashgate

This is the bit that makes me laugh, people going on about crashing cars, eating second hand toilet roll, hitting things with bricks, sit on sunglasses and so on, all of which aren't things that a normal user would do from day to day.

To put a mobile phone in your pocket is a perfectly legitimate thing to do and people have been doing it since phones have shrunk to the point where they will actually fit in a pocket...

Yes its Apple and they seem to hold, or at least charge, as if they are a cut above the rest and yes people will always Apple bash so perhaps it been blown out of proportion but its not a "non" issue the same as "antennagate", people are using an apparently premium product in a perfectly legit manor and in some cases its being damaged, it is something, however overblown that Apple should be looking into and releasing a slightly meatier statement to cover..
Problem is, because its Apple they need to actually own up and put their hands up, they cant turn around like they have in the past and said its not a real issue, people are using it wrong, it'll be fixed with an update here have a free case.
Apple are on the slide, they need to change the way they are doing things or they will continue to gain momentum on that slide, they are getting to the point where they cant keep trading on the name and kudos, they need to up the game and little things like this arent helping them...

Soldato
This is the bit that makes me laugh, people going on about crashing cars, eating second hand toilet roll, hitting things with bricks, sit on sunglasses and so on, all of which aren't things that a normal user would do from day to day.

To put a mobile phone in your pocket is a perfectly legitimate thing to do and people have been doing it since phones have shrunk to the point where they will actually fit in a pocket...

Yes its Apple and they seem to hold, or at least charge, as if they are a cut above the rest and yes people will always Apple bash so perhaps it been blown out of proportion but its not a "non" issue the same as "antennagate", people are using an apparently premium product in a perfectly legit manor and in some cases its being damaged, it is something, however overblown that Apple should be looking into and releasing a slightly meatier statement to cover..
Problem is, because its Apple they need to actually own up and put their hands up, they cant turn around like they have in the past and said its not a real issue, people are using it wrong, it'll be fixed with an update here have a free case.
Apple are on the slide, they need to change the way they are doing things or they will continue to gain momentum on that slide, they are getting to the point where they cant keep trading on the name and kudos, they need to up the game and little things like this arent helping them...

See that's the thing for me, and I do enjoy people getting in a fuss about it. Apple are supposed to be premium, expensive, and perfect to the point people will find what they can to tarnish that. If you create a product that requires little to no effort to find a problem, that surely someone would have noticed in production then you can only assume that it's something they know about and have frankly scrimpt on. The product then isn't premium it's cheap but still expensive...

Then there are the fans, the people who think that their favourite company are infallible. Like a religious person being told about evolution, they go into a shell and put their fingers in their ears.

To an outsider it is very funny. :D

Man of Honour

I'd say it's a non issue... what is it 9 reported cases from 10 million sold in first 3 days was it ?

So the problem has effected 0.00009% of users :) (or something like that), and many hundreds of idiots bending them on purpose

Man of Honour
But it's not 9 if you read this thread there's at 'east two people it's affected. The 9 is wrong for one if several reasons. Either lie, used data from just a few hours after release, people haven't reported it yet.

Crashing a car and everything else you said is also stupid. No ones saying it should survive something it shouldn't.
It should easily survive months of being in your pocket. And as shown it is far easier to bend than pretty much any other phone out their. Despite it being the most expensive.

They aren't even throwing their money away, they're making far more in revenue thanks to the traffic.

Last edited:
Soldato
Okay so it isn't 9...

9 cases means it would affect 0.00009
90 cases means it would affect 0.0009
900 cases means it would affect 0.009
9000 cases means it would affect 0.09

And so on until we get to...

90,000 cases which still means less than 1% of the people would be affected. Then out of that, who has a genuine grievance? who will say it just to get a new phone? who will have applied excessive force to try it and is now seeking a new phone...

Associate
You might be on a different band wagon to Apple fan boys but a band wagon is still a band wagon.

That makes the term band wagon redundant if you're going to label both sides of an argument with it.

Why Apple seems to invoke such strong reactions I don't know but you cannot say "it WILL bend eventually, these are facts". The facts are a very small percentage of them have bent apparently through normal use and where excess force hasn't been applied. If the phones are so weak why haven't they all bent by now? We don't actually know it is a design flaw, it could simply be a flaw in the manufacturing due to trying to rush produce so many. I don't actually think it is manufacturing but until someone does a more scientific test than a youtube video of look at me I can bend an iphone or the phone has been out longer to get a better understanding of how many are suffering. We simply do not know how big of an issue it is, to claim otherwise is jumping on a band wagon.

We don't know if it's a problem unique to a handful of units or a design flaw with them all (I suspect the latter but that's only an assumption) but we won't find out when Apple's response is hey don't worry only a few people have complained as that doesn't really address the issue.

Back
Top Bottom