• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fastest 1136 CPU is ?

Soldato
I have with me here an I7 6 core 1136 CPU. The 970 one.

I know that the 980 is out there and its a tad quicker, but given its price, I would be an idiot to upgrade to it from the 970

But I was wondering if there are any faster, more up to date CPUs for this board?

The reason I am asking is that my AMD setup is the 8350 and that runs sweetly at 4.3Ghz, but the 9590 is out and that could be a nice boost for sure, but the other day, mayube a week or so ago, I am sure that I saw a fairly new 1136 6 Core CPU that was for sale?

Its annoying me because I cannot find it, but whats going through my mind is that my new Gaming laptop utterly murders my AMD 8350 and so I am thinking that the newer I7 CPUs must be a lot quicker and so... Well, can you see where I am going?

What is the fastest CPU I can get for the 1136 Motherboards, and how does it compare to the I7-970 6 Core ?

Thanks .

Soldato
The very fastest chip on the LGA 1366 platform (Intel X58) was the i7 990X (6 physical cores at 3.47GHz stock). However, this is basically the same gulftown chip as found in your i7 970, just clocked a bit higher at stock and likely binned a bit higher. As you mentioned with regards to the 980, the 990X is way more expensive.

The new 6 core (and 8 core) CPUs that Intel just released are for the LGA 2011 platform with the X99 chipset do look very nice, but are not particularly cheap (especially with DDR4 memory) and unfortunately they will not work on a LGA 1366 board.

Associate
FatRakoon is bob on the money - the only faster chips you have for Socket 1366 are 980, 980X and 990X - all of which are fundamentally the same as the 970, but with a (slightly) higher multiplier.

The X suffixed processors had a completely unlocked multiplier, which was of limited use as you could achieve similar speeds with a little overclocking of the BCLK - from the default of 133 up to an past 200Mhz...

The socket 1366 platform boards and cpus are no longer in (mainstream) production so you're best bet to get more out of the current installation is to overclock the 970 - there are hundreds of guides out there

When I sold mine on, the guy who bought it from me had it running at 4.7Ghz (which he duly validated with CPU-Z) which was a particularly good result...

You wont get any discernible benefit from upgrading your 970 to another chip in the same series. Upgrading your whole platform to the latest (X99) is only just starting to show SIGNIFICANT benefits, but again, that depends on the application you are measuring your performance on. I doubt very much that you'll see a game, for instance, NOTICEABLY faster....

Soldato
OP
But the XEON vs the 970? Would it actually be worth the outlay?

My main AMD is the 8350 and thats sweetly at 4.3 with simply doing the auto-clock on the Mobo... I have had it higher but its rock solid at 4.3

I am seriously considering getting a new AMD CPU, and going back to that, and just leaving this 970 in here then and using this for my hobby room computer.

Since the new AMD is well under 200 notes, I think thats the best option as my next upgrade then yes?

As for the link, thanks for that FlashHeart, but does that show me if my 970 will be any slower? Unless im mental, I saw nothign to suggest that the Xeon 6 core will be faster... Anyone give me any info on just fast any particular xeon would be compared to the 970?

Hey, dont getme wrong here.. ( Did I just say this in the OP? ) but my new Laptop is by far the fastest machine I have irritatingly enough and so the really new Intel CPUs are obviously sickeningly quick, but I cannot at this time justify another mobo... AGAIN!

Soldato
The xeons iirc are basically the the same as your 970 clock for clock iiirc, What sort of clocks do you have your 970 at? if you can get it to 4.4 or higher it should still be quite quick

Soldato
Hey, dont getme wrong here.. ( Did I just say this in the OP? ) but my new Laptop is by far the fastest machine I have irritatingly enough and so the really new Intel CPUs are obviously sickeningly quick, but I cannot at this time justify another mobo... AGAIN!

Hmm.

I have what? *looks around* 5 computers in my flat. Ranging from a Kabini quad core to a 3970x and they're all the same until you put a load on them. IE - they all boot from various different SSDs (from PCIE to RAID 0) and for general duties they all feel the same to me. It's only when I load up PS CS6 on my main desktop (with a four SSD RAID 0 array) or start tossing around graphics that I even notice any speed difference.

Are you using an SSD in your laptop? is there one in your desktop?

Soldato
OP
for general duties they all feel the same to me.

Bingo

Are you using an SSD in your laptop? is there one in your desktop?

All my laptops and all my desktops have an SSD to boot from and Normal HDs for data.

The xeons iirc are basically the the same as your 970 clock for clock iiirc
But then the 970 has HT so surely the 970 would be... what? 30% faster?

What sort of clocks do you have your 970 at?

Im running stock... 3.2Ghz, btu I have had a bit of a play. I have not had massive success with clocking this one, even with a great clocking setup, I have found it to be very finicky about doing any changes in the BIOS that go too far from Setup Defaults, so I just gave up. Best stable clock is around the 3.6 mark but I have had 4 and managed the desktop before it poos itself, but volts and temps are uncomfortably high.

So, stock it is.

if you can get it to 4.4 or higher it should still be quite quick

Ah well... not happening.

Its perfectly fine at 3.2 - its faster than I truthfully need... Hellishly slower than I want, but not need.

Soldato
OP
Also, I have a Flaming Blade Setup thats got a 4 core I7 in it.

Following the link provided by FlashHeart, people are on about the Xeons, and I think I will grab one for that board... Have a play and a compare and see whats what!

The Flaming blade is another sexy board but unlike the Saphire PureBack, it has 3 slots and not 6 so only half the RAM... Still 12GB is more than anyone really needs for most uses anyway.

Back
Top Bottom