Undecided - Spec me a monitor!?!

Soldato
I do all of this too and I have the Rog swift with a cheap 1440IPS next to it which I thought about keeping for colour checking but actually havent used it since getting the Rog because the rog is good enough and for gaming it blows everything else out of the water

That said, you have AMD so maybe not the best choice for you, maybe one of the 3440x1440 IPS, or wait to see what adaptive sync monitors come out, or just do the right thing and switch to green

In fact all of my monitor pics will need more than a single 290, so i'm not really helping, sorry

Soldato
OP
I do all of this too and I have the Rog swift with a cheap 1440IPS next to it which I thought about keeping for colour checking but actually havent used it since getting the Rog because the rog is good enough and for gaming it blows everything else out of the water

That said, you have AMD so maybe not the best choice for you, maybe one of the 3440x1440 IPS, or wait to see what adaptive sync monitors come out, or just do the right thing and switch to green

In fact all of my monitor pics will need more than a single 290, so i'm not really helping, sorry

I wouldn't switch to green just for the hell of it, it would need to be for a very good reason, nothing wrong with my 290 currently, but thanks for your input :)

While the Swift is nice, £600 for a TN panel is just ludicrous.

Need a happy medium.........any other suggestions?

Associate
Need a happy medium.........any other suggestions?

I have been weighing up pros n cons over which monitor (and possibly graphics card) that I am going to buy next, with money not really being an object within reason ~£1000 ish (for both). I do however find the slobbering consumerism often found on tech sites where the only recommendations are invariably the most ludicrously expensive, to be quite disgusting and would hate to see myself buy into it 'just because I can'.

Whilst I would be prepared to pay upwards of £1K for my PC visual upgrade, I would want the aesthetic improvements for such an expense to be absolutely immense. Whilst I am sure that G-sync is a neat little innovation, I am also sure that it is widely overpriced (it is Nvidia after all), just as I am also sure that 35-60fps with G-sync will not match the aesthetic qualities of a solid 60 fps v-syncd, albeit with 'input lag' eliminated. Like yourself, I am currently RED team (HD 7970), so a g-sync monitor would also entail an 'upgrade' to a GTX 980, as the GTX 970 would only be around 15%-25% of a frame rate upgrade over what I already have (and GTX 980 would only be ~35%-40% of an improvement, which isn't that fantastic for a £500 outlay imo)

So after I have forked out my £500 for my GTX 980, I am then basically looking at the ASUS Swift 1440p screen, as the reviews from all the other g-sync options are telling me to steer clear, especially for the money involved. So that would be another £700, taking me up to £1200 in total, and settling for running most demanding games at sub 60 fps, in the hope that G-sync means that I don't notice that I am dropping frames. Also, all the G-sync monitors are TN panels, which means that their colour reproduction isn't a patch on non TN panels. Even with the ASUS Swift, the colour reproduction is reported as 'excellent', for a TN panel (but not a patch on an IPS panel).

So after much deliberation and reasearch, I think I have come to a firm decision that when I get back home, I shall be order the Eizo FS2434.

There are plenty reviews about, but all of them are in German. Since I understand German however, I have read through several of them and all of them make a rather glowing case for someone like myself, who is looking for an all round high class visual experience from his monitor, delivering an image quality that way surpasses anything that you might get from any TN monitor, whilst also delivering a response time that doesn't result in trailers, excessive blurring, or noticeable input lag. True, the response time of the Eizo FS2434 simply cannot match those of the recent TN gaming panels, which poses the question, do you really beleive that you need those extra few ms of responsivity to enjoy your gaming? If so, wouldn't a vastly superior image quality in terms of colour reproduction more than compensate you for those increased few ms of delay that you will have to 'put up with'?

The monitor can be had for around £250 and the monitor is also 1080p, which in my case means my present HD7970 will suffice until a better and more worthwhile gfx card is released that truly justifies shelling out £500 on a gfx upgrade. If you are serious about your photo editing, then perhaps you will want a higher resolution than this but then your gaming performance will take a heavy hit when you start going up to the 1440p range (obviously it is not just the present 'demanding' games that have to be considered, but all the even more demanding games just around the corner that you may want to enjoy). So the resolution issue is an issue that you would have to weigh up for yourself.

Last edited:
Associate
I do however find the slobbering consumerism often found on tech sites where the only recommendations are invariably the most ludicrously expensive, to be quite disgusting and would hate to see myself buy into it 'just because I can'.
Yes! Sometimes I find myself looking at what was popular yesteryear and get that 2nd hand.

Back
Top Bottom