• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

690 Upgrade to 980 or 980 SLI

Associate
I've been running a 690 in my rig for near enough a couple of years now, and it's not struggling with any game grunt wise.

VRAM wise is a different kettle of fish though. Looking at the Evil Within recommended specs, and based on Watch Dogs maxing out even at low settings, it's quite clear that for next gen games, 2GB simply isn't going to cut the mustard.

So I'm waiting for the XSPC blocks to come out, and then going to buy.

Would a single 980 be the best option for 1080p? Would SLI 980's be overkill? What do you reckon?

Its hard to find 690 vs 980 benches.

Thanks.

Associate
One card can struggle to max out 1080p with some settings but its a bit of a non issue really. If you only plan on playing at 1080p just get one 980 or 970 SLI.

Associate
SLI 980s would be a tad overkill for 1080p, especially if you're on a 60Hz screen. I have a 1440p panel, and I've even noticed that my 780Ti SLI is overkill most of the time, but the 3GB of vRAM does help.

A single 980, or 970 SLI are good shouts.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Didnt mention in original post, im on 120hz (was originally 3d vision monitor when from when it was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread).

Its a custom loop so its single 980 or sli. Im thinking single to start with and o/c the nuts off it

Back
Top Bottom