The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Associate
_DSC0005 by skalaberg, on Flickr

Tret myself to a D7100 today. Currently have a D5100 with a 35mm f1.8 prime, a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a Tamron 70-300. Have being toying with going full frame for a while as I feel I've outgrown the D5100 now with 12800 actuation's. This last 18 months has been a real learning curve for me and I still have a long way to go but the reality is I am not and never will be a Pro so the expense of going full frame coupled with the re investment of new lenses just didn't make sense to me.

First impressions after a few quick snaps tonight are good, I think I am going to enjoy this camera.

Caporegime
Overpriced:confused:
It is incredibly god value for money. The 35mm f/1.4G is £1300, the 1.8G is incredibly close in performance and is a bargain at only 30% of the price!
The 85mm f/1.8G is is a completely irrelevant comparison because 85mm lenses are far easier lenses to design, the 35mm has to be a retro-focus design.

I think that comparing the price of an f/1.4 lens to an f/1.8 lens is equally irrelevant to be fair.

If you want to do that though, the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is available for around £600, so I think that the Nikon is overpriced for an f/1.8 lens.

Last edited:
Associate
Really excited to try these two lenses out. :D

TPIDN9.jpg

Caporegime
I had an itch to get a mirrorless and a couple of primes for fun...even thought about a Sony FF...but now.........I'm actually tempted to get a Nikon D750 with a Sigma 35A.....

Somebody slap me lol

Just go for a D810 is you want a Nikon DSLR, the D750 is way to similar to the 5DMK3 to be worth bothering with I would have though. The D810 will open up new possibilities, the D750 wont.

Caporegime
I am going to wait until 5D3 replacement.

If the gap to that 5 stop exposure recovery isn't closed then will just swap over. Will definitely won't have as many lenses so won't be out of pocket.

My accountant will love me though with all that capital investment, selling it and then and rebuying assets !

Soldato
I was pondering this the other day as I'm showing a mate the ropes with his Nikon and I like the capabilities, even on the crop cameras. I'm hugely invested in canon and as things have quietened down at the moment I might just wait to see what comes along. Despite my wide array of lenses I only really use 3 of them, so I could even sell a few to switch to a Canon/Nikon mix now if I wanted.

Still, I've regretted impatience before, so I'm not jumping the gun this time :D

Associate
I haven't had a lot of time to try them properly, but from the odd shots I've taken around the house, I can see why they are so highly regarded. The sharpness of both wide open is very impressive and the 56mm f1.2 in particular has been so addictive.

I may post some images when I take them out for a more serious shoot.

I've had both of those lenses now, you definitely won't be disappointed. What body are you using them on?

I decided to get a used X-E1 over the X-T1 to tide me over for when the updated X-Pro body is announced. With all the latest firmware releases, the autofocus speed is apparently not that far off the X-T1, although operating speed isn't so great and tracking isn't available, but then I am saving a considerable amount of money and I prefer the rangefinder aesthetics. I've also heard that many prefer the image quality on the older X-E1 - something to do with the PDAF on the new sensor slightly effecting the image quality?

I was expecting the lenses to feel unbalanced on a relatively small body but I'm pleasantly surprised to find that it actually feels quite nice in the hand.

I'm hoping that the next gen camera bodies come equipped with higher resolution sensors to get the most out of such high quality lenses. Saying that, I am more than satisfied with my experience with this setup so far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom