Asus G751JY ROG Gaming laptop IPS display

Soldato
Anyone else seen these that are coming shortly. The spec looks fantastic and it has an IPS screen finally.

I use the G750JZ and it's a great machine and these look a nice upgrade.

-Spec-

Asus G751JY-T7051H
17.3-inch Full HD LED IPS display
Intel Core i7-4860HQ 2.40GHz
32GB RAM
1TB HDD
512GB SSD
4GB GTX 980M
Blu-Ray
Windows 8.1

Between MSI and ASUS some very nice laptops coming up but for me this one so far is looking superb.

Asus G751 Gaming laptops

Following the announcement of the G771 17-inch gaming laptop, the new G751 is its more powerful, 17-inch brother. Featuring the latest Nvidia GTX 900M series graphics, including the GTX 980M with 4GB GDDR5 for G751JY and the GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5 for G751JT, where the graphics cards can also be overclocked using new ASUS TurboMaster. New hardware also extends to a new Intel Core i7 i7-4860HQ processor and M.2 PCIe 512GB/256GB SSD options for the G751YT as well.

All three G751′s include a 17.3-inch anti-glare Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS display for superb color quality and wide 178-degree viewing angles, with touch support is also included for the G751JM. Up to three additional displays can be simultaneously plugged in via the HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 and d-sub (VGA) ports on all models. Software enhancements include ASUS SonicMaster, ROG AudioWizard and GameFirst III.

-----------------------------------------

G751 in stock and available from OCUK.

Asus G751 laptop range

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, thanks for the info, seems much better pricey than the MSI GT72.

I have ordered the MSI GT72 with 128GB SSD, GTX 970M at 1639 pounds with OCuk..when I see the Asus one with 980M (ok less memory but I'm sure it won't make any difference), 512GB SSD, 32GB RAM (16GB only for the MSI) and a IPS display at 1899 Pounds, I'm telling myself that MSI is really joking...

Do I miss something ? Does the GT72 has really something different than these Asus that could explain the difference ?

Does the Asus has a switch for Integrated graphics/Dedicated graphics like the MSI ?

thinking strongly about canceling my order this evening and wait for these ASUS ones.

Any Idea when it is coming onto the market in UK ? any ETA ? I do not want to wait 2 months in the meantime...

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No idea about the switch there is little info on them yet.

The releases date is the 14th October but whether this is confirmed for UK and stock availability I have no idea.

I only found out about them myself as few days ago so trying to get more info from Asus at the moment.

Associate

I have ordered the MSI GT72 with 128GB SSD, GTX 970M at 1639 pounds with OCuk..when I see the Asus one with 980M (ok less memory but I'm sure it won't make any difference), 512GB SSD, 32GB RAM (16GB only for the MSI) and a IPS display at 1899 Pounds, I'm telling myself that MSI is really joking...

Do I miss something ? Does the GT72 has really something different than these Asus that could explain the difference ?

Does the Asus has a switch for Integrated graphics/Dedicated graphics like the MSI ?

thinking strongly about canceling my order this evening and wait for these ASUS ones.

Any Idea when it is coming onto the market in UK ? any ETA ? I do not want to wait 2 months in the meantime...

Thanks

Hi there

I do believe we have the following which maybe makes ours different :

SteelSeries fully programmable KB
More VGA memory (6GB on 970M & 8GB on 980M)
CoolerBoost 3 which has won many awards.

Of course - spec for spec sometimes other things look better, but I urge you to read reviews on the GT72 - many available which will tell you how good our build quality is.

Also, I am not sure about the Asus model, but our GPU on the GT72 is based on MXM technology so that means that in the future this can be upgraded.

If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to drop me an email :

[email protected]

Regards

Associate
Hi Arjibear,

Thanks for the comparison, I still think that the MSI is overpriced compare to what seem the RRP of the Asus.

The Video Memory is not so important, I mean very few game will make the most of more than 4GB of VRAM.

The KB fully programmable is not highly important for me.

The Cooling system of the Asus G750 was already praised by a lot of people.

For the MXM format of the Graphics, it is true (but still we do not know for certain for the G751). In the meantime, people like me that buy these sort of laptop are generally changing laptop every 2-3 eyars and I'm not sure the possibility of changing the graphics is a very important sales argument. Even more if you can't change the CPU.

I was really looking forward to buy the GT72 to be honest but I was already disappointed to see the pricing, I wanted the 980m but seeing the pricing I had to buy only the 970m...Now I'm seeing that I can have the 980M with Asus for same price than the 970m, I will certainly cancel my MSI order.

I understand that it is premium prices but Asus too, it is premium also and the difference is really huge, we are talking about 300-400 pounds difference for almost equivalent configs

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Arjibear,

Thanks for the comparison, I still think that the MSI is overpriced compare to what seem the RRP of the Asus.

The Video Memory is not so important, I mean very few game will make the most of more than 4GB of VRAM.

The KB fully programmable is not highly important for me.

The Cooling system of the Asus G750 was already praised by a lot of people.

For the MXM format of the Graphics, it is true (but still we do not know for certain for the G751). In the meantime, people like me that buy these sort of laptop are generally changing laptop every 2-3 eyars and I'm not sure the possibility of changing the graphics is a very important sales argument. Even more if you can't change the CPU.

I was really looking forward to buy the GT72 to be honest but I was already disappointed to see the pricing, I wanted the 980m but seeing the pricing I had to buy only the 970m...Now I'm seeing that I can have the 980M with Asus for same price than the 970m, I will certainly cancel my MSI order.

I understand that it is premium prices but Asus too, it is premium also and the difference is really huge, we are talking about 300-400 pounds difference for almost equivalent configs

Hey Barthelemy56

No problem at all.

I think in other posts, some people criticized our GS series for haveing a 3GB 970M instead of a 6GB, so different things vary in importance for different people.

I wish you all the best with whichever NB you choose!

Happy gaming :)

ARJiBEAR

Associate
Hey Barthelemy56

No problem at all.

I think in other posts, some people criticized our GS series for haveing a 3GB 970M instead of a 6GB, so different things vary in importance for different people.

I wish you all the best with whichever NB you choose!

Happy gaming :)

ARJiBEAR

True.

Thanks for the understanding ;)

Associate
Just read the following :

http://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALap...much_are_we_expecting_the_new_asus_rog_to_be/

This means that for the same config MSI GT72 I have ordered at 1639 pounds, you have the G751 with same proc, same graphics 970m (but only 3GB of RAM - maybe a bit short for future game), same memory, a bigger SSD (256GB instead of 128GB), a DVD writer instead of Blu-Ray (from my perspective, it is not important, I'm not watching blu-ray) at 1899 $ which is 1200 pounds :eek:

Prices need to be confirmed obviously but 400 pounds difference is really a big gap...

Associate
Moogleys,

I have read about the Optimus issue with the G750, I know that for some games it is impossible to play in full screen mode due to the game not being able to use the Nvidia card.

I saw also your older post about the G750.

I have looked around and it seems that no real solution has been found for now.

Would you have any update on this (as I guess you have looked around quite a lot for this issue) ? What does ASUS says about this ? Do you think the issue could be solved on the G751 ?

Is there a list of games impacted by this issue (apart Diablo and Grid) ?

Thank you

Associate
I had an information from a UK reseller for the G751 :

Please note that G751 series should arrive to UK in the middle of November.

G751JY-T7051H GTX980 i7-4860HQ , 1TB 7200HDD+512GB SSD RRP £1950
G751JY-T7009H GTX980 i7-4710HQ , 1TB 7200HDD+256GB SSD RRP £1650
G751JT-T7019H GTX970 i7-4710HQ, 1TB 7200 HDD+128GB SSD RRP £1450

As soon as we receive an ETA, exact spec and exact price – we will put them on our website .

This means that there would be less difference than expected between the GT72 and the G751 with 970M (less than 200 pounds)

But you can still have a 980 (with only 4GB Vram) and with a 256GB SSD for almost the same price as the MSI GT72 with a 970M (but 6GB RAM) and a 128GB SSD.

Seeing that availability of this laptop seems uncertain for the UK in the next month, I have finally decided to stay on the MSI GT72.

Last edited:
Associate

Thanks

MSI do tend to be a bit more experience than most of the competition, I know the MSI rep has replied above helping to explain why, but honestly it's just best to accept they aren't the cheapeat option. Thankfully they tend to be great machines which helps justify the premium.

Asus tends to be very good value on the other hand and these new Asus seem to be no exception, better cpu, much better screen, double ram, much bigger SSD, best in market cooling with really only one negative on paper, half than the maximum GPU ram, 4gb isn't going to be a problem for the life of any gaming laptop sold for years to come, look at all the desktop parts that are current and relevant with similar or less vram.

My wife and I currently own a pair of G750 and while she loves hers I use mine for work too and the screen is a deal breaker, it's very grainy and colour accuracy is awful no matter how much I calibrate it.

To answer another question you had regarding the G750, I can't play Diablo 3 due to the gpu problems that have no solution. On the plus side these laptops run cooler and quieter than anything out there, including the GT72 i've had the pleasure of playing with, the only time I hear my G750 cooling kick in is during benchmarks.

Keyboards and networking were both great on G750 and GT72, one machine may have a gamer branded this or that but they felt no different and networking was fine on both. Infact the only keyboard i've disliked in recent years was on a Aorus, and that felt like I was typing on a £150 netbook.

The G751 has had a redesign from the G750, slimmer, much lighter so we can only hope the cooling remains as perfect. Personally i'm going to wait for some reviews to land, but i'm almost positive i'll buy one. I'd love to hear the GPU switching has been fixed too, but not being able to play Diablo 3 isn't a huge deal for me, everything else has worked great.

I was set to order a new GT72, but the older CPU was a deal breaker for me in what is essentially the most expensive laptop you can buy with such a superb GPU. Perhaps the next revision will have a more balanced part list.

If I end up with a G751 next week I should have time to leave some impressions and compare it to my experience with the G750 and GT72.

Associate
Thanks for the nice review, Clear and detailed :)

As said on my previous post, I decided to confirm my GT72 order with OCUK as availability of the asus G751 in the UK seems uncertain for now (some are talking about mid November..)

Even if the GT72 is more expensive, I guess it will be a nice machine anyway :)

Associate
Thanks for the nice review, Clear and detailed :)

As said on my previous post, I decided to confirm my GT72 order with OCUK as availability of the asus G751 in the UK seems uncertain for now (some are talking about mid November..)

Even if the GT72 is more expensive, I guess it will be a nice machine anyway :)

At the level you're shopping at they're all excellent performers tbh, you can't go wrong.

Some are better value, some have a nuance of spec here or there and some have great support(though not all) but what they share is an end product that performs really well out the box, you just have to chose the one that suits you best.

Caporegime
Hmm ok a local online store (non-EU) has the following spec:

ASUS Notebook 17.3" G751JY-T7018H

• Intel Core i7-4710HQ, bis 3.2 GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • nVIDIA Geforce GTX980M DDR5 4GB
  • Blu-ray Reader / DVD Writer
  • 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare
  • Windows 8.1

...for £1370.

Ok so it has no SSD, but that still seems like a blinding price, right?

Back
Top Bottom