• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980 Reference EOL Already ?

Soldato
OP
^ Water cool man!!

Decent airflow in a good case wont cause this situation anyway and Maxwell very low heat output too.

Nah water and electronics are wizardry, Wizardry I tell you !!! :D

The last card I had that wasn't a blower exhaust style was the 290X Matrix and holy hell my side panels nearly melted, That thing was like a smelter :p

Soldato
980 Reference is end of life!
Also open air coolers are useless in small PC cases....and even bigger cases like my Silverstone FT02 is designed to work with blower type GPU coolers..

Am sure this move is going upset loads of GPU buyers..including myself :(:mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
^ Water cool man!!

Decent airflow in a good case wont cause this situation anyway and Maxwell very low heat output too.

You need to keep tabs with the real world cooling !

Pity also GFX card coolers have always lacked development and innovation so they just continue to see how much in the way of fans and metalwork they can hang from 4 little screws.

The situation is never helped by the muppet reviewers who say how wonderfully they cool and the don't even test them in a Case :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Also open air coolers are useless in small PC cases....and even bigger cases like my Silverstone FT02 is designed to work with blower type GPU coolers..

Am sure this move is going upset loads of GPU buyers..including myself :(:mad:

Case manufactures are going to have to come up with different designs to house the cards that blow all the hot air back into the case :(

Pity also GFX card coolers have always lacked development and innovation so they just continue to see how much in the way of fans and metalwork they can hang from 4 little screws.

The situation is never helped by the muppet reviewers who say how wonderfully they cool and the don't even test them in a Case :rolleyes:

Yeah that annoys me, They either test it on a test bed or case with the door open, Never mention it in their reviews, Report awesome temps and then when we get the end product we wonder why the temp is higher than was advertized in the review and our internal temps have gone up a good few degrees as well.

Blower style/rear exhaust cards have their place and should not be made obsolete.

Soldato

Water cooling is real world cooling??? They even ship some as standard now, remember?

80 quid and a few screws. Hardly a flux capacitor

Am a bit surprised they've stopped producing them already. Maybe they're dropping Flextronics as manufacturer. That would be good news if anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Water cooling is real world cooling??? They even ship some as standard now, remember?

80 quid and a few screws. Hardly a flux capacitor

It's really only the 295X2 that comes with everything needed, The Asus Poseidon and EVGA WC editions still need a separate pump/res, Tubing, Radiator, Fittings and coolant which is all great and fun but starts to mount up beyond £80 if you want a decent setup.

Associate
Nah water and electronics are wizardry, Wizardry I tell you !!! :D

The last card I had that wasn't a blower exhaust style was the 290X Matrix and holy hell my side panels nearly melted, That thing was like a smelter :p

I strongly urge anyone who is scared (for want of a better word) of water cooling to take the plunge. It's the final frontier as far as PC building goes, and trust me mate, you won't look back.

Soldato
OP
Tubing, fittings and a radiator, stick to cheap fans. Don't have to swap it out ever again besides block. Job done :). Doesn't have to be fanstastical unless you want it to be :)

Very true but you're forgetting the pump and res which increase the cost even further, Would just be wise to keep making the rear exhaust cards for the people that don't want hot air dumped inside their case, Don't have the funds to go watercooling or simply don't want to.

I strongly urge anyone who is scared (for want of a better word) of water cooling to take the plunge. It's the final frontier as far as PC building goes, and trust me mate, you won't look back.

I already built a water cooled rig for my brother a few months ago with duel 290X's, 4790K, 2 x 360mm rads, Pump/res bay combo etc....I enjoyed building it, It looks nice and he seems to love it but I prefer simplicity when it comes to cooling my personal rig hence why I have an H100i which is as close to water cooling as I'll ever get *And in truth it's quite far away from WC* to be honest as it's just not my thing :)

Last edited:
Soldato
They will have another cooler coming. Blowers are underrated by AIBs though unfortunately.

I think maybe this threads gone in the wrong direction, as more importantly it could be that if NV aren't producing reference 980 boards any more. Flextronics could well be well under way with manufacturing something else.

i.e GM200 / Titan 2

Soldato
OP
They will have another cooler coming. Blowers are underrated by AIBs though unfortunately.

I think maybe this threads gone in the wrong direction, as more importantly it could be that if NV aren't producing reference 980 boards any more. Flextronics could well be well under way with manufacturing something else.

i.e GM200 / Titan 2

Will be interesting to see indeed, Once the 980 Ti's start coming out I may snag myself another 980 that will inevitably be on the MM :p

Man of Honour
It's really only the 295X2 that comes with everything needed, The Asus Poseidon and EVGA WC editions still need a separate pump/res, Tubing, Radiator, Fittings and coolant which is all great and fun but starts to mount up beyond £80 if you want a decent setup.

Actually it does not

If it was a proper watercooled card it would not suffer from throttling and limited overclocking.

For anyone watercooling on a budget the 295X2 is a joke as you have to rip off the expensive and inefficient AIO solution to fit a proper waterblock.

If AMD shipped the 295X2 with a proper waterblock it would be cheaper to make than it is now lol.

Soldato
OP
Actually it does not

If it was a proper watercooled card it would not suffer from throttling and limited overclocking.

For anyone watercooling on a budget the 295X2 is a joke as you have to rip off the expensive and inefficient AIO solution to fit a proper waterblock.

If AMD shipped the 295X2 with a proper waterblock it would be cheaper to make than it is now lol.

Very true but you get what I mean, It might be crappy but it's ready out of the box, To be crappy :D

Soldato
Will be interesting to see indeed, Once the 980 Ti's start coming out I may snag myself another 980 that will inevitably be on the MM :p

I don't think you'll see a 980Ti. Not sure why people keep assuming there will be lol. GM204 is a full die, whatever is coming next won't be under the 980 branding - will most likely be twice the price as well

Man of Honour

Very unlikely that there will be a 980ti as the GM204 does not have anymore SMX modules to enable.

The first ti's we will likely see will be based on the GM200 and will be launched after the Maxwell Titan as a more gaming friendly option.

Soldato
OP
Very unlikely that there will be a 980ti as the GM204 does not have anymore SMX modules to enable.

The first ti's we will likely see will be based on the GM200 and will be launched after the Maxwell Titan as a more gaming friendly option.

I'm thinking if it's going to be the 1000 series maybe ? That we'll see it around august next year, The non Titans anyway.

Soldato
If NV are producing GM200 now if/which is the reason then it could potentially be out by Christmas which is frankly outrageous, but nothing surprises me any more :p

I think they'll be holding it back for AMDs launch next year though

Back
Top Bottom