• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GTX 980 Owners Thread

Soldato
I think I'm still in shock of the new Asus 980 Strix.........whipped out the old GTX 570, plugged the new one in....initial run thought "bugger that's quick", started cranking up the clocks. Hit the top settings of the Asus GPU tweak software @1400, running solid as a brick......ok time for something that will tweak it higher. added +10, no hassles, another +10, started thinking am I dreaming this......added another +10, next thing I know I'm the top 100 3dmark hall of fame for single cards & right up there on this forums fire strike extreme bench scores top 10. Ive had a day with the biggest grin on my face in a long time, & now 2 packs of haribo to consume & all I can say from the depths of my black soul is THANK YOU overclockers.co.uk & community for a EPIC day ill probably never forget :)

Well done that's some serious power.
Also your from Taunton, I'm a Bridgwater boy. What motorbike you got?

Associate
Just finished installation of the mighty Zotac GTX980 AMP Extreme Edition. Good god its a heavy beasty... my PC was heavy enough without adding those several pounds extra.

Installed with little hassle and ready to see how it chews up Mech Warrior Online as a first course before moving onto some Star Citizen for the main! :)

Thanks to all you guys at Overclockers for the usual great service getting this over to me super quick. I had pre-ordered a EVGA GTX 980 FTW ACX 2.0 but after seeing their delivery was delayed on Friday I decided to switch to the Zotac. Reading Gibbo's comments helped make my mind up along with confirming I had the space for this in my case. Rang up Saturday afternoon, got the order changed in no time and I took delivery this morning at work.

I'll be back with some thoughts on this monsters performance later tonight. :)

Associate
Got mine today :D
Bz0lKn4CUAAnaKW.jpg:large

Associate
I like reference more. Mainly because I have a small case and can do very tight SLI. G1 is great for big cases.

That's the reason I asked my question above, I have a HTPC and need a Ref design card, also I have been offered a s/h MSI 980 at a good price but the specs say its 280mm long, which is too big for my case, were as, all the other Ref design cards are 266mm.

If this is the case I may go for the OC own GTX980

Associate
I've noticed, according to GPU-Z, my new card was boosting to 1430.4Mhz on the "GPU Core Clock" without me touching any settings etc. I've not got any GPU overclocking tools installed yet to change anything!!

GPU Core clock speed is listed as 1393Mhz in GPU-Z and in the specs for the card. Anyone else seen their 980 boosting higher than spec'ed all by themselves? Anyone here able to explain when \ why the card will decide to do that if it is "normal" behaviour?

I'm certainly not complaining by the way, and everything seems stable with good low temps (So far peaked at ~57C while gaming a little bit).

Soldato
I've noticed, according to GPU-Z, my new card was boosting to 1430.4Mhz on the "GPU Core Clock" without me touching any settings etc. I've not got any GPU overclocking tools installed yet to change anything!!

GPU Core clock speed is listed as 1393Mhz in GPU-Z and in the specs for the card. Anyone else seen their 980 boosting higher than spec'ed all by themselves? Anyone here able to explain when \ why the card will decide to do that if it is "normal" behaviour?

I'm certainly not complaining by the way, and everything seems stable with good low temps (So far peaked at ~57C while gaming a little bit).
They all do that.

Soldato

It's linked directly to temperate and TDP, so it will keep on boosting until either limit is hit All three of my cards boost to different clocks at stock.

1340/1360/1380 lol.

For 24/7 it makes sense to at least OC them to 1400 core over three. Easy pie.

Associate
Are your G1s right next to each other? If so, what are the temps like. Does the top card get a lot hotter?

Mine is 3 slot spacing (using Asus Z97-WS Motherboard)

Got about 73 and 62 maxed out. Top card will ALWAYS be hotter with air cooling.

Now watercooling using NZXT G10 and getting 45-50 maxed out on both cards and overclocked.

Back
Top Bottom