• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980 Reference EOL Already ?

OcUK Staff
Oh I forgot to mention MSI are doing a blower type model called the GTX 980 OCV1.

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/GTX-980-4GD5-OCV1.html#hero-overview

Quoted

"MSI announced a pair of minimalist lateral blower-equipped GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970-based graphics cards, under the OC V1 series. The two don't feature flashy TwinFrozr cooling solutions, or even over the top features, but offer PCBs that are close to NVIDIA's reference design, albeit with MSI's own copper channel-flow heatsinks. "

Would you guys buy this though, shall be around £400 to customer?

Galax have to announced today no more NV cooler and instead they will do their own just like the MSI. :(

Soldato
Would you guys buy this though, shall be around £400 to customer?

Galax have to announced today no more NV cooler and instead they will do their own just like the MSI. :(

I would think many would not based on the fact for general gaming the card offers little over the 780 and clearly Nvidia has found massive efficiency boosts so there will be some interesting stuff down the line with the die shrinks.

Associate
It's not upto NVIDIA but the board partners, they prefer their own coolers as they cost less and as such they make more profit.

Asus = nearly out on reference and focusing on Strix
EVGA = reference production stopped! full focus on ACX 2.0
Galax = unknown but moving production over to SOC and HOF, but might continue reference on special request.
Gigabyte = ok but moving production to only WindForce and G1 end of this month
Inno3D = Best supply but now moving over to X3 and X4 Herculez coolers.
MSI = no reference left! full focus on gamer models only
Palit = Jetstream only!
Zotac = all gone and moving over to three fan OC model.

So I'm struggling to get more reference, the partners are focused on their own cooling solutions as it gives them identity and better profits.

If they do completely disappear I can try to do an order with PC partner but MOQ's would be 1000+ units so depends if we think it's worthwhile as it's big commitments and they will cost more as special order items.

Does that mean you won't be able to fulfill all the EVGA SC Reference card orders? I notice the ETA date was put back from the 17th to the 31st already.

Associate
That's depressing, I like the reference coolers. You can tell the 3rd party coolers cost less to make, they look cheap and tacky. If I'm paying out £400+ for premium PC hardware, I want it to look premium. And I don't like the idea of all the heat being dumped inside my case either.

OcUK Staff
Does that mean you won't be able to fulfill all the EVGA SC Reference card orders? I notice the ETA date was put back from the 17th to the 31st already.

We are pushing EVGA, but it is looking grim right now. :(

We've spoke with every board partner, they have all now EOL'd reference cooler.

Only one board partner was willing to continue them if we ordered 3000 units, which is something we cannot do.

So unless I can sort something the reference card is now EOL and will probably be no longer available anywhere come November. :(

Soldato
We are pushing EVGA, but it is looking grim right now. :(

We've spoke with every board partner, they have all now EOL'd reference cooler.

Only one board partner was willing to continue them if we ordered 3000 units, which is something we cannot do.

So unless I can sort something the reference card is now EOL and will probably be no longer available anywhere come November. :(

So 900 series reference is eol, but 1000 series reference is soon :)

Soldato
OP
So 900 series reference is eol, but 1000 series reference is soon :)

I don't think they would release the 1000 series so quickly after the 900 series launched, Wouldn't make sense, However the new reference cooler design being for the new Titan now that I can see.

Oh and by the way an EVGA staff member is denying the EOL statement on their forums when asked about so is it EOL or just EOL for europe :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think they would release the 1000 series so quickly after the 900 series launched, Wouldn't make sense, However the new reference cooler design being for the new Titan now that I can see.

Oh and by the way an EVGA staff member is denying the EOL statement on their forums when asked about so is it EOL or just EOL for europe :confused:

Or EOL for ocuk

OcUK Staff
Or EOL for ocuk

It is EOL everywhere, all that is left is stock left in the channel and on etailors shelfs.

We still have plenty, hence were keeping the price fair for now, but once our stocks are depleted they will be £500+ just like the EVGA 980 ref SC is now priced at.

I warned you all first!

We are working on a deal, but so far the minimum quantity is 3000 units, were not willing to buy that many!

OcUK Staff

EVGA might keep the 980 SC ref, but today they put my cost up vastly for the priviledge as they want to push ACX 2.0, I said I don't care about the price increase if you can keep supplying me stock, but now our price is £529 on that card. :eek:

Soldato
OP
EVGA might keep the 980 SC ref, but today they put my cost up vastly for the priviledge as they want to push ACX 2.0, I said I don't care about the price increase if you can keep supplying me stock, but now our price is £529 on that card. :eek:

£529 ? Holy hell, Well I guess it might retain a good re-sale value for some then :)

Soldato

I hope to see that new titan cooler,but I'm pretty sure nvidia said the new titan won't be called Titan

Associate
Thanks for the info Gibbo, I prefer the Titan style cooler personally mainly due to the fact that it's fully enclosed and looks clean were as the current offerings, Strix, Jetstream, ACX etc... all either have heat pipes on show or open non enclosed designs which to me seems kind of messy, Not uniform and who wants all that hot air being blown into their case ?

I guess rear exhaust blower style cards are going to be a thing of the past then :( at least with this generation.

Might have to get a 2nd 980 Titan style while stocks last for SLI.

Hi, we will also produce exhausting cards again but most likely with our own cooler so exhausting cards will still exist

Associate
More people might like it but not everybody will purchase it, specially because of the price... As this cooler is more expensive then evry other cooling solution more people go for the cheaper versions

Back
Top Bottom