PC cant identify home network?

Soldato
Hey all

Just bought a dell optiplex 960 to use as a plex media server and i've somehow unintentionally screwed my main pc up.

When i got the dell i unplugged the ethernet lead out of my pc and used that to do updates, drivers etc on it.

Now i've plugged my ethernet back into my pc it wont pick up my home internet and its stuck at "unidentified network" and wont connect. I did install a few programs on the Dell to allow me to remote control the pc without keyboard and mouse. Since i did that my ip address began with 192 but now its 127 and the apps on my phone wont connect to it for some reason. Its all linked me thinks :p

Any suggestions? I've reset the router and pc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your PC having a random IP suggests that would be the problem. Go into the IPv4 settings and make sure it's set to gain it's IP automatically then go from there.

Can you run a CMD prompt and do an ipconfig to see what it spits back out?

Associate
Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type adapter, and then, under Network and Sharing Center, click View network connections.

Right-click the connection that you want to change, and then click Properties. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click either Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and then click Properties.

To get IP settings automatically using DHCP, click Obtain an IP address automatically, and then click OK.

To specify an IP address, click Use the following IP address, and then, in the IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway boxes, type the IP address settings.

Soldato
OP
I think I turned DCHP off earlier trying to sort it out. All my address fields are blank under ipv4 and 6.

If I wipe windows will it sort this out? Networking is VERY out of my skill range sadly.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OK, so a windows format and reinstall didn't work! I'm using 2 tp link power line adaptors if that makes any difference?

I've paired them both together and it still won't work. I've reset my sky hub back to default and rebooted and no joy.

All my wireless stuff is fine though?

Just plugged the laptop into the hub and that works fine too. Its either the power line adaptors or my PC then :(

Last edited:
Soldato
It sounds like you've either got a dodgy/loose Ethernet cable, or the Powerline adapters aren't working.

Try removing the Powerline adapters from the equation.

Associate
Try manually assigning the IP on IPv4 to

IP address - 192.168.0.2
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.0.1

dns

Associate
Yeah a 169.254.x.x suggests your router is no longer sending out IPs, or your PC can;t see the router.

Do you know the IP of your router? Usually 192.168.0.1 I think.

If so, can you ping that IP from a command prompt?

APM

APM

Associate
try a re-set on the router too,normally a tiny pin-hole you can get a toothpick into or similar,hold that in for a second or two and see if that does the trick

Back
Top Bottom