Hey guys, I have a question...

Soldato
Right, hello everyone! I am relatively new to the forums despite being a long time lurker and benefactor of a lot of the useful people on here!
So, I have a question or 3!
Think back to your school days and your IT or Computing experience.
What was it like? What did you enjoy? What do you think the kids of today should be taught?
I do have an agenda here! I am a teacher of Computing and trying to get students engaged and interested nowadays into this wonderfully geeky world can be a challenge!
To combat that I am building a rig at school! That should be fun

Also on a personal note, Im looking to build a small PC at home for work, development and some programming with occasional video/photo edit.
Has anyone had any experience with the following parts or can suggest any improvements in my build:
Elite 130
Z97i-Plus
HyperX Beast 2400mhz 16gb RAM
MX100 SSD 256GB
Possibly water cooled (H80i?)
PSU?? Not sure

Thanks for looking guys (Apologies if this is not the right section!)

Soldato
I once had to show my teacher how to make a hyperlink in word, then got ban from computers for most of secondary school for crashing the print server and giving everyone access to pinball. So yeah, had to make my own fun unfortunately as the lessons were terrible. What I'm getting at is: get some good IT teachers in!

Programming. Teach them how to write code more, but proper code - CSS, HTML, etc. Actually, wait, don't. That might make me less valuable once that generation leave school :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I once had to show my teacher how to make a hyperlink in word, then got ban from computers for most of secondary school for crashing the print network and giving everyone access to pinball. So yeah, had to make my own fun unfortunately as the lessons were terrible.

Programming. Teach them how to write code more, but proper code - CSS, HTML, etc. Actually, wait, don't. That might make me less valuable once that generation leave school :p

My fun in school was sending simple batch files to open several thousand calculators that was more than capable of crashing the hardware!

I was always watched after the caught me :D

Soldato
OP
I once had to show my teacher how to make a hyperlink in word, then got ban from computers for most of secondary school for crashing the print server and giving everyone access to pinball. So yeah, had to make my own fun unfortunately as the lessons were terrible. What I'm getting at is: get some good IT teachers in!

Hey skaif

Welcome to the forums :)

Cool project

You would be best heading over to the general hardware section of the forum with this post as that is where people will help check the spec over

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=8

The guys over there especially stulid (a spec god) who has a huge amount of experience with builds for any budget.

Hope this helps

My fun in school was sending simple batch files to open several thousand calculators that was more than capable of crashing the hardware!

I was always watched after the caught me :D

Thanks for all the responses!
We are teaching them programming now, starting with HTML and JavaScript then moving onto python!
That calculator trick sounds cool, wonder if the kids will try something like that at mine! haha!

Its amazing how much its moved on, I didnt get to do 'ICT' at school despite having a vested interest, and now the 11 year olds are coding!!

Also, This:
QUOTE=Craig321;27125245]I lessons were terrible. What I'm getting at is: get some good IT teachers in![/QUOTE]

Its unbelievable how much we need good teachers now! I would consider myself to be good (not meaning to blow me own trumpet) but there is a need for Computing teachers out there!
We need to make this topic an exciting one!

Last edited:
Soldato
:L

@ECCO
OPEN
C:\Windows\System32\calc.exe
STOP

in a notepad saved as a .bat still remember it haha ( but with the directory multiplied)

I did have one cool teacher though who praised me for being intuitive and learning stuff not on the agenda as i enjoyed it.

Soldato
OP
Haha thats cool!
Is sublime 3 open source? I love open source stuff as it means kids have instant access to it. You tend to find those from a disadvantaged background have more of an interest in Computing but cant get into it due to funds. Anything free is gold!

Soldato
As far as i know i think you need to subscribe to the thread at the top and then you can chose how you are notified although that would be by email.

I personally like the simple appearance of the forum and hold great respect for the gentleman who pays the bills for it for keeping it how we like it opposed to the likes of youtube changing everything 30 seconds

Associate
Programming. Teach them how to write code more, but proper code - CSS, HTML, etc.
Since when HTML is proper code? You would only expose people to an abomination that HTML and CSS are if you want them to forever hate programming.
Even Pascal (which is a steaming pile of ...) is way better than HTML in terms of getting people to understand and appreciate coding.
Prolog may be interesting as well to start with.

Back
Top Bottom