• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
you using afterburner to overclock??

(ASIC 69% if your interested, I've read a lot of threads and although it's not an accurate indicator you can bet a 80% is going to be better than 65% for sure - See GPU-Z or w/e for yours)

what do you mean by this??

did you achieve your overclocks on standard volts??

Associate
Guys I'm a bit confused.

I've just received, and installed, my Gigabyte G1 970. From reviews (and official specs) I thought it came preclocked at 1329 MHz core and 7Ghz memory.

However when I just ran Unigine it's reporting a core clock of over 1500 Mhz and after 45 seconds the PC crashed (not surprised at that clock speed).

Why is a brand new (apparently) G1 970 clocked so high?

hnG1itk.png

(Pertinent notes - Rig in question is in sig. I used DDU to remove all aspects of previous cards which were two AMD 280x's. I've no overclocking/monitoring tools installed)

Heaven/Valley is always showing wrong clocks. Use Afterburner or GPU-Z to monitor correct base/boost cocks.

Associate
you using afterburner to overclock??

what do you mean by this??

did you achieve your overclocks on standard volts??

Forget the part about the ASIC quality it's probably not relevant in the slightest, just think of it as the silicon lottery.

Anyway, yeah 1515 is done on stock vaults. I set the power limit to 110% which is the max the default BiOS will allow.

Gaming has never broke 100% PL for me, but benchmarks have. It's important to note your mileage will likely vary with your card though. (I think I may have been lucky or unlucky in this respect).

Stock voltage increase nets me 0 gains, if that clarifies a bit for you?

My current settings which im using for gaming are (from msi afterburner):

+199 = 1514 boost clock constant stable
+452 = 3960 (7920 effective)

The temp has never broken 72c max for me on the default fan profile (I have poor air circulation in my room though!).

I believe 1500 clock is achievable by most MSI cards though so I'm sure you will be fine? (hopefully you get lucky!)

Hope this helps.

Associate
As I understand it this only appears when the GPU is under load and being overstretched so you wont see it unless you stress the GPU at lot. If you dont see it thats a good thing it means your GPU is coping handsomely with what you are throwing at it.

no i mean i don't even have a blank space where it should be...afaik the field should be there, even if it doesn't show anything.

Associate
Hey Flakey

im overclocking my GPU as we speak (MSI gaming 970)

im at 1521mhz on core without even touching voltage and TDP floats around 88% 92% mark

memory is stock at moment no artefacts or anything at the moment...

Might have a good chip on me..

will report back when all is done

[EDIT] pushed the core to 1531 not going any higher as im happy with that temps did not go beyond 68oC

[EDIT2] dammit memory is holding me back cant hold +500 in afterburner (artefacts in heaven)

Last edited:
Associate
neither 0.7.9 nor 0.8.0 show perfcap for me.

ah...the 0.7.9 *test* version shows it! gonna report a bug.

edit: on techpowerup someone said you have to 'install' 0.8.0 for it to work?!? it's an option in the icon menu (where you read asic quality), i didn't try it yet.

Last edited:
Associate
You're at the limit with the core at 1575Mhz, more voltage might fix it but it might not.

My cards have a limit of around 1506Mhz and no matter how much voltage and power I give them they won't run higher.

Just back it down until it's stable.

Thanks mate. Had a tinker with it last night and managed to get it stable:

Core: 1530mhz
Memory: 7696mhz
Volts: 1.2310

No difference on the temperatures still around 65

Firestrike benchmark below. Think this pulls me in line or just above a stock GTX980 (based on the table below):

firestrike.jpg

Don't hotlink images - Rilot

Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
Settled on my BIOS now.

- Boost Disabled
- 1450Mhz core speed
- 8Ghz default memory clock
- SLI voltage bug fixed
- Voltage at 1.178v

Rock solid stable and it's even reduced the coil whine from the one card, low voltage much be helping in that regard.

I can run at 1505Mhz core but then I need 1.25v to get it stable so the extra 50Mhz isn't worth the extra voltage.

Permabanned
Thats a massive memory overclock. mine seems to come out with artifacts anything above 7.7Ghz.

What Voltage you running at?

It might be a power issue too, overclocking your RAM also causes it to consume more power.

Try running the core at stock, turn the power limit up and then try to push it above 7.7Ghz.

If it doesn't artefact then you know it's a power issue, if it still artefacts then you know you've maxed out your RAM.

Soldato
I am amazed with this Asus Strix card! I have played Borderlands the Pre-sequel for 63 hours with it and not once has the fan spun up :eek:. I was expecting it to just not spin up in some indie games, not games like BL.

Associate
Im getting in some games like arma 3 its clocking down to 1200mhz and lower sometimes it moves around a lot! do they all do this? only applied a mild oc to 1450 and 7900 mem

also even thought ive pushed the volts up to + 37 gpuz says it doesn't go over 1.2?????

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom