Calling all visitors to Iceland

Soldato
I've a few days to kill mid-November, and having spent most of my recent short breaks around the Med, myself and the other half are going to have a change and go north - to Iceland.

Looking at the weather, my expectations aren't high. It looks like it will most likely be raining, snowing or just overcast, with only around 6 hours of daylight. But we might get lucky. We'll be staying in Reykjavik and don't want to move away from the one place unless we really have to - we're only going to be there for five days.

I'd love to devote a couple of days to photography. So, assuming we can hire a car, unless you have alternative ideas, what are the best places to visit within reach of Reykjavik?

Caporegime
I've a few days to kill mid-November, and having spent most of my recent short breaks around the Med, myself and the other half are going to have a change and go north - to Iceland.

Looking at the weather, my expectations aren't high. It looks like it will most likely be raining, snowing or just overcast, with only around 6 hours of daylight. But we might get lucky. We'll be staying in Reykjavik and don't want to move away from the one place unless we really have to - we're only going to be there for five days.

I'd love to devote a couple of days to photography. So, assuming we can hire a car, unless you have alternative ideas, what are the best places to visit within reach of Reykjavik?

Lol another Iceland thread! It seems we've started a trend! :p

Your chance for NL activity around November isn't going to be great. The weather will be against you, however if you get a clear night there is a chance you will see them.

From RK you have a lot within travelling distance. It really depends what you consider to be reasonable though?

I'd definitely consider Selfoss, the Geysir, the Blue Lagoon (this will also get you brownie points from SWMBO)

Viks is also a couple of hours drive and that will give you the Black beaches and many pretty scenic places you can stop off at along the way.

Associate
Plenty to see and do in the Golden Triangle. Personally I'd recommend Skogafoss, Selfoss and Thingvellir. If you're prepared to travel a bit further (an overnight stay at Hofn or Vik, for example, then Vik beach and Jokulsarlon (the ice lagoon) are well worth it.

Soldato
take every piece of warm clothing you have....lol :D

If its photography you could try one of whale watching boat trips or glacier spotting boat trips (not sure if its year round though)

Caporegime
Don't bother with the whale watching, its a waste of time and money. The boats are hugely overcrowded and its full of people with iPads trying to get photos...we were really annoyed at it, even if we did see a humpback breaching!

Anyway, with regards to clothing. Its not about wearing as many layers as possible but wearing the correct ones.

You will want a base layer, a thermal layer, then an external one.

Base layer - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00H2RIHJ0?cache=bf9b3afb01b0750405476c8a92a186a7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&qid=1413961437&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1
Does exactly the same job as the £60 ones from a regatta shop.

For legs we wore long Johns.

Socks, hats and gloves we wore thinsulate stuff.

Then I wore a normal t shirt and then for a jumper and trousers I went to Costco. They sell thermal lined trousers and regatta jumpers in bulk so it's mega cheaper than anywhere else.

Afterward I hired a north face thick coat. I was nice and toasty.

Also but the chemical hand warmers and stuff them in your gloves if needed they work well and are cheap.

I also hired the proper boots from the same place I got the coat from.

I should start a dedicated Iceland thread at this rate :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm not sure to be honest. I've never looked at visiting at that time.

One thing I can say is that Iceland has such an active climate....one minute it'll be snowing and the next sunny. You will see (or at least we did) all 4 seasons multiple times a day.

Soldato
I'm not sure to be honest. I've never looked at visiting at that time.

One thing I can say is that Iceland has such an active climate....one minute it'll be snowing and the next sunny. You will see (or at least we did) all 4 seasons multiple times a day.

When we stayed in January the receptionist in the hotel said:

"If you dont like the weather wait half an hour, it will be different"

January it was around 0oC and that was quite bearable, Wind chill is the only thing that can catch you out. We stayed in Hveragerdi.. Strongly advise hiring a car and heading east.. Go see Selfoss, geysir (they are on the same road!) and Thingvellir. Be prepared to stop anywhere as there are soo many amazing sights!

Do a glacier walk tour, sensible size groups and it is an experience I will never forget.. And photography was encouraged :)

If you have the time keep heading east along route 1 and you will bump into some amazing waterfalls.

We are planning on going again, a week was not long enough!

Also, dont miss the Icelandic Phallological Museum... http://www.phallus.is/en/ :D

Soldato
Weather totally unpredictable go expecting it to be terrible take anything else as a bonus!

Don't spend the whole trip in Reykjavik go and stay in a small hostel in the countryside it is amazing and much more Icelandic. I would recommend vik and jokalskaron if you don't mind some travel vik was our favourite spot!

We enjoyed our whale watching trip the boat was busy and it wasn't really a great trip for photography but I got some nice shots and seeing a hump back in the wild was a dream come true.

Other than that just enjoy yourself and take it as it comes things will change and develop as you go so just enjoy it. Oh and the good is amazing in the right places!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice and ideas - we're all booked up! 2 nights in Reykjavik to start, followed by a night in Jokulsarion. That gives us two days travelling to there and back, all along the south of the island, and then two days in Mosfellsbaer - out of town but close enough to duck back in if we need to.

Fingers crossed for decent weather on a couple of days or more. 5 days is very much an in and out trip, but should still prove fun. Just wish I could take my motorbike with me!

Soldato
OP
11th to 16th November. I guess the weather will be whatever it'll be - I'm just excited to be going, and the prices seem pretty reasonable - probably due to the time of year. Just looking at hire cars now - I saw some great tips in the other Iceland thread on here - looks like a decent car to haul three people around can be had for around £300 for the whole trip so not too bad at all.

Looking forward to trying the blue lagoon out early in the morning whilst it is still dark and then watching the sun rise. I'd also really like to give the whale watching a try, but it'll just depend on if the weather is good enough whilst we're in the area.

Associate
Still considering it, not done many dives with a drysuit and it look cold ! :) Doesn't look a difficult dive though. Just wondering if it's worth it for the money as we usually dive with fish, and SIlfra has none :)

Back
Top Bottom