car tax question

Associate
hi, I bought an old V70 estate for a project I'm working on
the car was last taxed in September and I bought it earlier this week from a trader (I assume he took it in as a p-x).
I didn't want to pay for a whole month's tax just to use it for 4 days, so I parked the car off the road.

I tried getting car tax online with the v5c form but the website gave me an error, so I went to the Post Office. I know in the past you could buy tax up to 2 days before the month in question. It seems that you can't do that, the attendant said she could only sell me car tax if I purchased October as well.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct? If I go back on Saturday will they be able to help me then? The lady at the post office seems to think the computer will insist I buy October's tax even if I go on Saturday 1st November!! :D

Soldato
I'd have thought the "continuous tax rules" will indeed force you to purchase tax for October, even after November 1.
Taxed or declared SORN - there are your options.

Associate
OP
Frustration. The website says unable to use this service:

"Unfortunately, because of the tax class of the vehicle or recent changes to the vehicle record, you are currently unable to apply for vehicle tax or make a SORN using this service."

Why won't it let me just declare SORN, or buy tax for that matter?

Soldato
Simple the DVLA are scum who will make life a difficult as possible in order to slap massive fines on honest motorists, while not caring or bothering to go after the criminals.

But the OP used it for 4 days during the previous month without paying for tax - so not exactly an honest motorist?

Man of Honour
He parked it off the road to avoid using it surely?

How did it get there, did he have it craned onto a flatbed? I suspect not - hence the issue. The car was not declared SORN between him buying it and the end of this month which means the tax for October is due on the car.

The post office gave him the opportunity to do this, for some odd reason he declined, and now he's stuck.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27138984 said:
How did it get there, did he have it craned onto a flatbed? I suspect not - hence the issue. The car was not declared SORN between him buying it and the end of this month which means the tax for October is due on the car.

The post office gave him the opportunity to do this, for some odd reason he declined, and now he's stuck.

Ahh right I see

Makes sense :)

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;27138984 said:

No I didn't have it craned.
I bought the car with "tax till April". I drove it home in good faith and parked in on private land and has remained there.
I don't know if indeed it was taxed until April 2015, and someone is due to get a refund but currently the DVLA computer says October onwards is due.

I am happy to keep the car off the roads until tomorrow, but it seems excessively difficult to either declare it SORN whilst I wait for the new month, or simply buy tax valid from November.

Why should I pay road tax for a car that I didnt own 27/31 days in October, and didn't drive 31/31 days in October?

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;27139852 said:
Because you did drive it in October?

You can't buy a car with tax, tax is not transferable.

I was told it was taxed for another 7 months. If that was true, the DVLA would refund all whole remaining months to the previous owner, but not of course October.

But would I, as the new owner, also be expected to purchase tax for October too?

Doesn't that mean the seller loses a whole month's tax and the buyer pays for a whole month's tax?

Soldato
I was told it was taxed for another 7 months. If that was true, the DVLA would refund all whole remaining months to the previous owner, but not of course October.

But would I, as the new owner, also be expected to purchase tax for October too?

Doesn't that mean the seller loses a whole month's tax and the buyer pays for a whole month's tax?

Unfortunately that's the way it works now. Double tax is a frustratingly common thing with the recent changes.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately that's the way it works now. Double tax is a frustratingly common thing with the recent changes.

ah, that answers my question - sorry for being thick lol

just 2 points to mention:

The new system means that a car no longer has valid tax at the point of sale, regardless of the buyer's ability to purchase tax. So if you're buying a car at an awkward time of the day or week, or if you're not close to a post office etc, you are effectively driving illegaly.

Second point, I still don't know why the DVLA website wouldn't allow me to declare SORN online when I bought the vehicle?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I thought that with the advent of the 24/7 phone line the buyer always does have the ability to buy tax, regardless?

Soldato
Second point, I still don't know why the DVLA website wouldn't allow me to declare SORN online when I bought the vehicle?

Maybe you weren't the registered keeper yet? As you'd just bought it recently, the log book maybe hasn't got to the DVLA yet for the name change from the previous owner to yourself?

Soldato
Can you check the tax class on the DVLA vehicle info system? The last car I had, when I got that message, the owner had registered the vehicle as a disabled vehicle and therefore did not have to pay tax, only apply, so it could not be completed online - I got a similar message.

If it says something like "Petrol Car" or whatever then it's normal at least. If not, you'll have to get the V5C sent away at a Post Office to change the class.

Back
Top Bottom