Help please! £300-£400 Digital Camera for First child

Soldato
Help please!

Misses and I are looking to treat ourselves to a joint present at Christmas. We decided on getting a new camera (as our old one is VERY dated) with the hope to use it to photograph our first child amongst other things.

The camera we have used for years is a really old Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX33EB Digital Camera - (8.1MP, 3.6 x Optical) 28mm Wide-Angle Lens. Which lasted us well and the misses used it quite a lot up until recently.

Our budget is anywhere between £300-£400.

Not really sure what our requirements are. Just want the best value for money thing we can get our hands on.

Associate
Fujifilm X cameras are all good - something at every price point from £200 to £1000.

The x30 is great and replaces the X20 which was also a very good camera - you can probbly get a bargain on one of those now.

Soldato
I'd probably err towards something with a fast lens and/or relatively large sensor (which will do better in low light) than something with a massive zoom range.

Fuji X20 is a good shout, Sony RX100/RX100II or Panasonic LX7 would also be worth a look depending on your priorities.

Last edited:
Soldato
AFAIK discontinued products come with exactly the same statutory rights as an in-production model. Should be fine assuming it's a new item and not second hand/refurbished.

Associate
If you could stretch to another £100, the Sony a6000 can be had with the 16-50 kit lens, and will be pretty much better than anything else similarly priced. It's actually £549, but there's £50 cashback available ATM.

If that's not an option price-wise, the a5000 with 16-50 kit lens is only £269.

I'm soon to be selling my Canon 60D, lenses etc. to get an a6000 because I want something smaller & lighter, and from what I've researched, the a6000 is one hell of a camera for so little money.

Even with your budget, it's worth buying into either the Sony 'E' or Fuji 'X' systems because either will allow you to make great images and have excellent glass too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you could stretch to another £100, the Sony a6000 can be had with the 16-50 kit lens, and will be pretty much better than anything else similarly priced. It's actually £549, but there's £50 cashback available ATM.

If that's not an option price-wise, the a5000 with 16-50 kit lens is only £269.

I'm soon to be selling my Canon 60D, lenses etc. to get an a6000 because I want something smaller & lighter, and from what I've researched, the a6000 is one hell of a camera for so little money.

Even with your budget, it's worth buying into either the Sony 'E' or Fuji 'X' systems because either will allow you to make great images and have excellent glass too.

I had a look at those briefly but not sure if I want to commit to that kind of price (£500)

I can get an RX100 from John Lewis for about £300 which still seems to come out top for most user reviews (ignoring the old published price as this has now dropped considerably)

I might try pop into a store and try a few out before I make up my mind though.

Soldato
Drag yourself into your local Dixons/Currys and try a few out. Or try to find a local camera shop with people that actually know photography behind the counter.

If you're familiar with Panasonic cameras, the LX7 is worth a look unless you can get a deal on the new LX100.

Soldato
OP
Interested in the you saw cameras today, and thoughts? Like you I am torn!

Did you take the plunge on one?

Not yet,

I am going to visit John Lewis on Saturday to try out the following models:

Sony A5000 (if they have stock)
Sony RX100 (v1)
Panasonic Lumix GF6
Panasonic TX60
Panasonic LX7

and any others that I see on display that I like the look of.

I will let you know what I think once I have a play.

Soldato
OP
Well I ended up going for the RX100

From the little time that I have had to play with it, it seems great.

Some really nice modes and no matter what you set it to it seems to take a great picture.

It was between this and the GF6 when I was in the shop testing then with my own hands. Mainly the smaller size and bigger sensor of the Sony swung it for me.

However there were some nice features on the GF6 that almost made me take the plunge. Things like the touchscreen quick shooting was quite cool, and the fold up screen is also something the misses would have liked but in reality (with all the new baby crap we will have to lug around) the sony won on size alone.

Soldato
Nice one, I'm sure the RX100 will do the job.

Slight bit of pedantry - the GF6 sensor is actually physically larger than the one in the RX100, albeit with less megapixels. Sensor performance should be roughly comparable between the two.

Soldato
OP
Nice one, I'm sure the RX100 will do the job.

Slight bit of pedantry - the GF6 sensor is actually physically larger than the one in the RX100, albeit with less megapixels. Sensor performance should be roughly comparable between the two.

Ah ok - well here is obviously where my lack of camera knowledge comes into question.

Either way that aside I am happy with the choice. Just need some more time to get my hands dirty with it.

Associate
just bought one of these to take pictures of our kids 8 & 3 after ditching the eos 350 from first child i bought no end of bridge cameras, compacts nothing focuses as fast as a slr even a cheap one and you dont want a crazy strobe flash thing when you take photos of your new arrival . I just paid £279 for a d3200 with 18-55 vr lens and you get £20 cashback until christmas day . Now back to your baby just seen this on nikon website for the d3200 specifically has a easy mode to take photos of sleeping babies how cool idiot proof lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv9NuAiqZrc all the best

Back
Top Bottom