Tidal Lossless streaming

Soldato
I got an email saying early register people were getting 30 days free trial.
Sounds good but im not enough of an audiophile to tell if its actually better than spotify.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
yeah got a 30 day trial music sounds good not sure if sounds better but I think with a bit of work the interface could be my favourite still £19.99 is a lot a month especially when DRM restrictions still apply, UK getting shafted like usual.

£12.39 if you use hola to set up the paypal payments but damned dollar rate is terrible atm

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
Got my invite for a 30 day trial too but not tried it yet. Was thinking of either going premium with this or spoitify but looking at the price think I'll stick with spotify unless this really impresses me

Soldato
The one thing I like about tidal is that they have an offline mode so it doesn't use your mobile data allowance.

Quality seems decent enough for underground travel (and better than anything else apart from a personally ripped cd to lossless, otherwise very little difference) - using a 128GB iPhone 6 so storage isn't a problem lol

It IS very expensive and a little frustrating when they release an album, and then you find that some of the tracks aren't playable (at all), waiting to hear back the reasoning behind this.

Soldato
OP
software needs some polishing when compared to deezer and spotify.

They won't be tempting me from deezer at the moment. If they fix the software and sort the pricing. maybe.

Associate
I agree TwsT, from the brief play I had last night the software could do with a bit of work and the pricing really needs sorted but since its a free month I'll give it a go.
Think they are shooting themselves in the foot with the cost though.

Soldato
software seemed pretty good for 1st release, the killer for me is the p*sstake currency conversion; Epic seem capable of real time accurate conversion of $19 to around £12 so there's no excuse for it.

Soldato
OP
yes the software looks great and is easy to use I just think it's poorly optimised (perhaps not dealing with the load well) it's feels sluggish to react in searches and whilst I know playing can't be instant at times it seems oddly slow. I have 120mbps tinterweb so it shouldn't take too long to start playing.

Associate
I heard rumours a few months ago that Qobuz are suffering from financial difficulties. Whilst they currently offer gapless playback and digital booklets, I wonder if they'll have to cut back on future improvement if the rumours are indeed true.

What is interesting is how quickly Aspiro have managed to build hardware partnerships for TIDAL after seemingly being ambivalent during the roll-out of WiMP. We'll see in the next few months whether they can improve the core performance of the service, and I e-mailed them with my own questions (their e-mail support is very responsive when the messages get through, but seems to have a very strict spam filter so I had to send to all the below addresses):

dabotsonline / Nicholas Polydor said:
general AT tidalsupport DOT zendesk DOT com,
kristin DOT eldnes AT tidalhifi DOT com,
service AT tidalhifi DOT com,
support AT tidalhifi DOT com

Dear all,

Firstly, I've signed up to the 30-day TIDAL trial and it's excellent! Congratulations to you all for your hard work.

1. The Pulselocker streaming service available through the 'Splyce' iOS app has a large catalogue of niche dance music and some interesting playback effects for mobile DJing. However, I would love to see TIDAL support in the 'DJ Player' iOS app ( http://djplayerapp.com ) with its fully-featured timecode support, and I feel that its developer, Gábor Szántó, might be interested in a partnership. I would also love to see TIDAL support in desktop-based DJ apps: Traktor, Serato, Virtual DJ, Cross, djay, Deckadance etc. Is there any possibility of this?

2. I notice that you have AirPlay support in your iOS app - what about Google Cast support in your iOS and Android apps? Will you also be updating your Android app to support Android TV? What about Apple TV, Xbox One, Playstation 4?

3. Lots of mobile operators are now rolling out LTE-Advanced, and CEntrance - not to mention Sony, Denon and OPPO - are aggressively expanding their range of portable DACs. Genelec and JBL Professional have recently made exciting announcements, and I'm sure CES and NAMM in January will reveal yet more products promoting great audio quality.

I note that Deezer has just launched in the US with their 'Elite' service in collaboration with Sonos and featuring the same streaming as yourselves: 16-bit/44.1kHz CD-Quality. This is the same fidelity that Qobuz use in other countries and, crucially, they also offer up to 24-bit/192kHz digital downloads if the studio masters were recorded in such resolution (as do HDTracks, Pono Music etc).

However, do you have plans to offer *streaming* at 24-bit/192kHz at some point soon? What about streaming of 5.1 and Dolby Atmos?

4. Also, it is expected that Google Music Key and YouTube Music Key will offer hi-fi sound with HD music videos very soon, building upon their existing Play Music All-Access service. There are also rumours that Apple will leverage the Beats Music editorial curation to launch a new hi-fi music service in concert with the Grammys next February, perhaps including streaming. Spotify have gone on record to say that they are watching all these developments closely and will be prepared to raise their bitrate above 320kbps when necessary.

How do you intend to differentiate the TIDAL proposition amongst this landscape of keen and extremely well-funded competitors?

Kind regards,

Nicholas Polydor (based in the UK)

And their response (via general AT tidalsupport DOT zendesk DOT com ):

Fredrik @ TIDAL said:
Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for your feedback.

1. We are talking to a lot of both hardware and software manufacturers, but I can unfortunately not reveal any names before it is official. I will anyways forward your request to our Partner Team.

2. We are working on Chromecast support in our Android app. No timeline to share yet.

3. We have already done some testing with 24bit/96kHz together with Bluesound at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest - works well. No ETA.

4. We believe in our own service, but we will welcome other streaming services as well. Competition is healthy.

I hope I was able to assist you sufficiently.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Best,
Fredrik

Has anyone seen any reports of the 24-bit/96kHz streaming collaboration with Bluesound at RMAF 2014? I've searched and found the following tangential mentions:

Spencer Holbert said:
PRIMER: ROCKY MOUNTAIN AUDIO FEST 2014

... word on the street is that we will see 96kHz/24-bit streaming in late 2015. This is huge.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/primer-rocky-mountain-audio-fest-2014/

Tyll Hertsens said:
The Tide is in...And Tidal Lossless Streaming is Rockin' This Boat

Redbook masters
Submitted by tidalpal on November 6, 2014 - 1:03am

How can giving you access to 2.5-3 million albums in redbook quality, masters coming directly from the mastering houses (we don't rip anything) for $20/mth be a rip-off?

To clarify
Submitted by tidalpal on November 6, 2014 - 1:08am

The lossless option in 44.1/16 is available on all our clients. Our clients not including Windows Phone as there is no native lossless codec there yet and we use the native media renderers in the platforms normally.

This means
- Lossless in Chrome. We will add more browsers but Chome is so far the best at letting us do some memory management in the background to optimize playback. This is also a good option for Linux. (FLAC)
- Lossless in PC/Mac client. This option is still the most robust for sending to an external DAC, unless you have some other re-routing going on in OSX or Windows. (FLAC)
- Lossless in Android (FLAC)
- Lossless in iOS (ALAC).

When you write hi-rez, even though I would like that to be true already, we are streaming lossless redbook 44.1kHz/16bit. In my world, the high-resolution world starts at 88.2kHz/24bit, or perhaps more common 96/24. We have also demonstrated streaming at these rates, but there's still quite a bit on the business side before this is a fully released product, Tyll.

WiMP
Submitted by tidalpal on November 6, 2014 - 1:41am

TIDAL is the same as the WiMP HiFi product in EU. Not only Bluesound & NAD, but these were communicated as partners at launch with many more to come already: Anthem, Airable by Tune In Media, Astell & Kern, Audeze, Audiovector, AudioQuest, Auralic, Aurender, Bel Canto, Dan D'Agostino, Definitive Technology, Denon HEOS, DTS Play-Fi, Dynaudio, Electrocompaniet, Harman Omni, HiFiAkademie, ickStream, JH Audio, Linn, McIntosh, Meridian, MartinLogan, Paradigm, Polk, Pro-ject, PS Audio, Raumfeld, Simple Audio, Sonos, Steinway Lyngdorf, Wren Sound Systems.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/tide-inand-tidal-lossless-streaming-rockin-boat

Soldato
OP
I tried qobuz I think it suffers from the same problems as Tidal

buggy software and expensive as heck. and to the average user (which is where you make your money) £20 is too much when they can barely hear the difference. I mean it's not twice as good by any means.

Soldato
I'm surprised this thread hasn't surfaced again, as it was officially launched last night.

I don't know what to think. £20 a month is a lot! And even the £10 a month is pretty much the same as Spotify free, without the ads.

Anyone still using it?

Soldato
OP
I have a 1 year sub with deezer i got off the mm for £25 so no not using tidal :)

I might have another trial of it see if they've improved the software but In all honesty works net connection wouldn't like streaming FLAC and doing my job :o

Back
Top Bottom