Sky Fibre Optic

Associate
They supply the black SR102 router which may not be the best but atleast it cuts down on plugging stacks of devices in. I would also buy yourself a filtered VDSL faceplate, plenty of them on a certain auction site from £7 with free delivery.

Soldato
Nothing stopping you purchasing an OR modem (get the HG612 and put the modified FW on it) off of eBay and using your own router though :D

We do have an OR Modem because we had fibre with the SR01, however now I've discovered the house has 3 BT Points so running off the master now it's been found and will just use flat ethernet as it's only about a metre from my room.

Associate
Just found this thread for the first time.

I've got Sky Fibre, it's a Sagemcom F@ST2504n meaning it connects to a BT Openreach Modem which then connects to the wall.

I am fed up with the router, the entire network seems to go down at least once every 1-2 hours, after which there seems to be a 'grace period' in which no device can connect to the network for at least 5-10 minutes after the network symbol re-appears.

In addition, the internet is very slow at times, to the point where I can't even browse webpages properly.

If I understand it correctly, I'm 'lucky' as my router and modem are still two different pieces, as I haven't been upgraded to the all-in-one hub.

Could anyone please recommend me a fast, reliable router with QOS so I can get rid of the F@ST2504n? I assume the BT Openreach modem will plug into the new router. Not sure if I need to know any particular settings, usernames/passwords etc?

I am fairly illiterate when it comes to networking, though know a bit about computer hardware.
In the meantime, Ill continue reading the thread.

Associate
lucky you say? you are using a router not meant for fibre & I'm struggling to see how it is actually working unless you have it setup for dhcp? most people go for the Asus or even the TP-Link but I'd be asking sky for a sr102 all in one router as that is what they are supposed to supply. You could always say your going to plusnet & get a full brand new install & see what they say then as you can get 50 quid cashback aswell. Dont pay for a router from them till you have haggled.

Caporegime
When sky first offered Fibre they were sending the Wireless N black and silver router and Openreach modem. Then they moved to the White hub with OR modem and then the Black Sky Hub only.

Soldato
Hi guys,

I have sky fibre (top package) with a small white hub and separate modem box. What is currently the best router right now?

I was considering the Asus RT-AC68U but apparently that has issues. The Billion BiPAC 8800AXL wifi has been reported to be "not great". Are there any others to consider or should I just wait on a firmware fix for the Asus?

Edit

Could I get a Asus RT-AC87U and use that with the breakout/modem box sky have given me?

Should I just ditch both boxes sky have given me and get an all in one solution?

Last edited:
Soldato
Any1 know ifs possible to use phone plugged into pre-filtered master socket, and a sky hub connected to extension socket using micro-filter? like both separately?

Thanks

Caporegime
Any1 know ifs possible to use phone plugged into pre-filtered master socket, and a sky hub connected to extension socket using micro-filter? like both separately?

Thanks

A pre filtered master socket filters all other sockets so no, your router won't connect in any socket other than the master. You can remove the pre filtered section and do what you want to but then the phone in the master socket will need a filter and speeds may be lower.

Caporegime
Ok I'm getting annoyed now... Can someone please explain why it's syncing so low? I've just done a reset in the hope and the upload has increased astronomically however the download is still only 25mbs
eMeDjrF.png

I take it you were quoted the full 40 meg? If so phone sky and ask them to run a service test in case there is a fault.

Soldato
I take it you were quoted the full 40 meg? If so phone sky and ask them to run a service test in case there is a fault.

Yep... I'll wait until I've got the cable and switch as the homeplugs have been playing up and we relocated the router as we've now found the master socket so here's hoping it wasn't us :rolleyes: It is a little weird as at some points I get 2mb download and at others I get 20...

Soldato
I was under the illusion that if I had Sky fibre I would be able to get PlusNet but now I understand that isn't the case :(

Looks like I'll be sticking with Sky but will be asking for discounted 70/20 when my contracts up in the new year...

Shame in the sense I wanted the cheaper deal but to be fair to Sky the service has been stable and constant @ 40/10 (Touches wood!!)

Back
Top Bottom