Changing HDD and CPU

Permabanned
Ok so I'm switching out my old AM3 board & Phenom 955 for an i5 4690K and Z97X motherboard.

I'm planning on a fresh re-install of windows of course, but all my programs and games are stored on a separate HDD.

Am I going to have to format this also and re-download and install everything else?

Caporegime
probably yes

if windows 7/8 you might get away with a straight swap of hdd onto the new mb,windows will sortout/install any needed drivers

if it bsod's at startup then you need to backup and re install everything

Soldato
probably yes

if windows 7/8 you might get away with a straight swap of hdd onto the new mb,windows will sortout/install any needed drivers

if it bsod's at startup then you need to backup and re install everything

Unlikely if also changing CPU manufacturer.

Programs on second HDD will have to be re-installed if they are properly integrated into Windows.

Andi.

Caporegime
it depends if you can straight swap your ssd/windows install onto the new mb,if it throws a hissy fit and you need to re install windows on the ssd then chances are most of your programs/games will need re installing on the hdd as it will lose all your links to your old windows install

you can also try startup repair by booting from windows disc and repair your old windows install,it might bootup then

(most of your games/programs you can go into each program folder and create new shortcut from the exe file and they will work again)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom