• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

IC Diamond creates a gasket-like seal

Associate
IC-DIAMOND CREATES A GASKET-LIKE SEAL

This thread is a WORK IN PROGRESS, so please bare with us:)

(photos to arrive soon)

We have had some rather interesting feedback about ICD Diamond creating a square like stain where the CPU Block and IHS meet.

This is not the above but an ADDED effect of IC-DIAMOND. What you call a stain is rather the oxydisation effect of the Thermal compound. We like to call it the 'Overclockers Patina' (lovely Marketing word there)

ringpost_zps20d6937b.png

There is no effect in the centre of the block, however around the outside edges we see a thin black line, thus the oxydisation effect we were mentioning earlier.

[
We made an 'oven' sample to accelerate what would happen to the copper naturally block over time.

ovenoxydisedcopper_zpsf732b0e4.png

When air is introduced into the joint of any two surfaces then the efficiency of the Thermal Compound will be greatly reduced

The higher the viscosity of the TIM, the better to create a gasket-like seal around the CPU BLOCK.

So this oxydisation effect is actually a GOOD thing, as it shows that no air is getting into the contact area and thus drying out the compound and or reducing efficiency.

Thus any TIM pushed to the edges where there is an extreme amount of pressure will create as seal if the thickness of the TIM is right.

When removing the CPU block, just give a slight twist and pull.

Removing the compound:

Simply apply your chosen cleaning solution and allow it to soak in then wipe (DO NOT SCRUB) the TIM from the IHS and viola one perfectly clean CPU IHS with no staining.

REMOVING the Oxydisation effect.

Good old Lemon juice and Vinegar is one option.

lemonvjuicevinegar_zps593e322b.png

thread is a work in progress

Associate
OP
Depends on the viscosity of it, the higher it is the less air gets into the joint.

I do not believe there is any other paste that is as thick as ICD,

iLL BE UPDATING this thread as time goes on buddy:)

Associate
i wont use anything else now. ive got my pc in an air conditioned room at 16 deg c now and the temps are unbelievable. amd overdrive stability test fx8350 @4.96ghz and wont go over 48 deg c package temp after running for an hour. thats the pc in my signature but oc a bit more. 2 x 240mm ek pe 240 rads with the gtx770 in the loop as well.

Soldato
i wont use anything else now. ive got my pc in an air conditioned room at 16 deg c now and the temps are unbelievable. amd overdrive stability test fx8350 @4.96ghz and wont go over 48 deg c package temp after running for an hour. thats the pc in my signature but oc a bit more. 2 x 240mm ek pe 240 rads with the gtx770 in the loop as well.

Assuming you're in the UK. Air Conditioning? In the UK? Are you mad? :D

Associate
Depends on the viscosity of it, the higher it is the less air gets into the joint.

I do not believe there is any other paste that is as thick as ICD,

iLL BE UPDATING this thread as time goes on buddy:)

Yeah I've measured viscosity and thermal conductivity of a few TIM out there and Thermene & GC-Extreme get real close but ICD is still the thickest one from all I've played with.

Associate
Assuming you're in the UK. Air Conditioning? In the UK? Are you mad? :D

yeah lincolnshire. ive got kidney failiure and for some reason i feel better when im cold. strange i know. i get this funny pins and needles feeling without the numbness if i get too hot. ive got the ac on now its 17.5 deg c at the mo as im on dialysis.

Soldato
yeah lincolnshire. ive got kidney failiure and for some reason i feel better when im cold. strange i know. i get this funny pins and needles feeling without the numbness if i get too hot. ive got the ac on now its 17.5 deg c at the mo as im on dialysis.

Ahh that's understandable. Sorry to hear that, are you on the waiting list for a transplant?

Associate
Ahh that's understandable. Sorry to hear that, are you on the waiting list for a transplant?

yeah ive been dialysing since 2008 and on home dialysis since 2012. i was adament i wasnt going to have a transplant it seemed more hassle to go through when it might not work anyway. however in january this year i almost had my best friend die in my arms in boston resus after she had a huge asthma attack and couldnt breathe for days and peterborough hospital sent her away saying she was having a panic attack! by the time boston did an av blood gas they then had to pump the bathroom cabinet into her veins and again and again and nothing was working. they wanted to incubate her but the itu nurse refused because she wouldnt have survived the move to itu. she was unresponsive slumped in my arms and i was just waiting for the heart monitor behind me to be a constant beep. then miracle of miracles she slowly started coming round but was on numerous drips, nebulisers and pure o2 for several days but shes much better now and shes quit smoking and got an e-cig. the day after that happened in january i put my name forward for transplant as i didnt want her to feel like i did if it were the other way around. ive been on the list since early september :) roughly 2 year wait maybe more as im o+ which is one of if not the most common blood type.

Associate
OP
Hey lads I have finished the article. a small update is below:
A further demonstration on this oxidisation effect can be seen at :

http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...veaway-reliability-survey-18.html#post9650127

excerpt:

Note the halo of oxidized oil outside the contact area, the process here is that with a tight particle distribution along with decent pressure you create an airtight "Gasket" type seal retarding liquid loss and preventing oil oxidation and hence increasing the life of the application. This is combined low liquid content (high bulk Loading) eliminating void formation with pump out and bake out type failures

The oxidized oil is only a few hundred atoms thick and has no effect on thermal performance and can be easily removed with a scotch pad, sandpaper or with AKASA TIM cleaner which smells of lemons which seems to be a better all around cleaner. Others have told me that lemon juice works quite well.

If one follows the link above and all the posts, then based upon USER testing ICD is the most reliable compounds application for laptops (amongst those tested by the aforementioned publ;ic testers)

The GASKET EFFECT!

Another example of this Gasket type seal can be noted in an example TANWare provided where he introduced a copper slug to increase C/P and the result is after 9 months use.

Note in the contact area the compound is still liquid while the compound exterior to the joint shows signs of aging or dry out

570nmAFTER9MONTHAPPLICATION_zpsaa7dd9f6.png

Another example:

Note that the copper in the contact area is shinier in my test sample than the area exterior to the joint - indicating that it was airtight with no oxidation visible -oxidation results will vary in the joint relative to the contact and pressure quality. The example more or less represents the Ideal application for maximum reliability. as noted results will vary as pressure and contact will vary between mounts.

Comparison failure pic with Mississippi Delta pattern from excess liquid.

dersktop_compound_failuretwo.JPG

We do use a heavier grade synthetic oil to retard liquid loss which may lead to the "patina" upon evaporation being denser to begin with- that being said other pastes leave a residue also but because it is so liquid it spreads thinner so is not as visible.

As for those whom wish to clear the oxidisation ring, then one only needs to follow this link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Copper

and chose which method you are most comfortable with.

Hope this helps.

Frosty

Back
Top Bottom