Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Is te esata connector a bit fussy about hard drives?

Tried a few and they spun and but it didn't recognize them, tried a 320GB WD and it was recognised!

What's the largest disc I can use on the esata port?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can someone point me in the right direction on this issue please.

I have an N54l which boots ESXI 5.1 of USB and have two VMs on the 250gb drive as a datashare. I want to migrate the VMs onto a 256gb Samsung 840 Evo. I have tried booting into Acronis Trueimage 2014 from USB but when cloning the drive it says the Evo is 124mb to small and I need to remove files. I have also booted into ESXI tried adding the Evo as a datashare and copying the files of the HDD onto it. That works and all files copy with 30gb odd to spare but after adding the VMs to the inventory they wont boot because an error about some thing to small (possibly cache I cant remember now).

Does any one know an easy way to achieve this?

Soldato
Can someone point me in the right direction on this issue please.

I have an N54l which boots ESXI 5.1 of USB and have two VMs on the 250gb drive as a datashare. I want to migrate the VMs onto a 256gb Samsung 840 Evo. I have tried booting into Acronis Trueimage 2014 from USB but when cloning the drive it says the Evo is 124mb to small and I need to remove files. I have also booted into ESXI tried adding the Evo as a datashare and copying the files of the HDD onto it. That works and all files copy with 30gb odd to spare but after adding the VMs to the inventory they wont boot because an error about some thing to small (possibly cache I cant remember now).

Does any one know an easy way to achieve this?

Plug in the new hard drive
create a new datastore in vmware on new drive
power down VM's
migrate them from old datastore to new datastore.

Dont copy the files use the migrate function

Last edited:
Soldato
Plug in the new hard drive
create a new datastore in vmware on new drive
power down VM's
migrate them from old datastore to new datastore.

Dont copy the files use the migrate function

Thanks for that. Will that move the data stores or keep the originals as well? I dont want to migrate them and find they dont work on the ssd and then Ive lost the originals too.

Soldato
So this probably wont interest too many people but thought I'd add it for reference.

I've installed an AMD R7 240 PCIE card in the server without issue, currently running Windows 8.1 on my N54L, did have ESXi for VM purposes but thought I'd see what this was like connected to the living room tv.

I've connected it up via HDMI so that I can get audio out too, nothing special, just something to play the odd older game and watch films on.

The actual model name is ASUS AMD Radeon R7 240-2GD3-L PCI-E Graphics Card 2GB and the model number is R7 240-2GD3-L.

http://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics_Cards/R72402GD3L/

Nothing on the Asus site (or anywhere else) says whether it comes with any brackets but I assumed the L in the name meant it was and it does come with two low profile brackets, 1 for HDMI and DVI and the other for VGA, so you can split them across two back plates.

There is also this version which is silent but I can't tell if the heatsink is too large for the case.

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R7240SL2GD3L/

Back
Top Bottom