Asus G751JY ROG Gaming laptop IPS display

Associate
hey gibbo you guys should recieve my RMA tomorrow, sent back my gs60 ghost pro 3k, changed my mind, didnt want it, i wanted a G751.

To cut a long story short, last week amazon was meant to get the G751 in and ship them on the 21st, they didnt and removed them altogether now, so i ordered a GS60 from OCUK and decided it wasnt for me didnt open the box, and now this week you have listed the G751 !!!! Feel so gutted i didnt wait on 3 or 4 more days. Will have to wait for my card to be credited now, how long will it take to credit back,and i will order the G751 instead.

Soldato
OP
How does the top end one, the ASUS ROG G751JY-T7051H compare to the likes of the MSI http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-163-MS&groupid=959&catid=1828

The G751JY is a better machine. It's quiter and has an IPS screen.

I would get the £1600 G751 over the £1900 model as the CPU's are near identical apart from the built in Intel graphics which is not used as these do not have Optimus. It's not worth the extra £400 for an extra 8gb of ram and extra 256gb of SSD space.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thanks mate. I'm currently using an MSI GT70D and that has been immense for me the time I have had it. Ultra reliable too.

But the ROG has a much better spec obviously. So you're saying the G751 is the better purchase? I'm wondering about the Optimus tech though. Will I actually miss it or not.. Decisions.

Soldato
OP
The GT72 is a great machine it's just to expensive for what it is. There are other models coming with single SSD's and without the Blu Ray writer but they are still not as good a deal as the G751JY.

Asus paid attention to what the gamer wanted and the £1600 JY model offers a much better spec than the comparable GT72 and is also a fair chunk cheaper. The MSi has dual SSD's, Blu Ray Writer and an 8GB 980M but these are things that are not needed in a gaming machine.

The GT72 can also be upgraded but tbh changing the CPU and GPU in a laptop is going to be too expensive to make it worthwhile.

Optimus was a pain in the previous G750 and I'm glad to see it gone tbh. It does hurt battery life but using the single GPU removes all the issues and makes things much simpler.

This machine is my recommendation after using both the Asus and MSi and taking in to account the spec to price ratio.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-206-AS

Man of Honour
They are good points Moogleys. I just don't want to feel slightly 'disappointed' after having used the MSI GT70D if you know what I mean. However, like you say, the price is very good at the moment and the Intel/Nvidia switching can be a PITA. The battery life isn't really a massive problem as I will be using this mostly on the mains. It looks like it's roughly the same weight as this too. I couldn't stand anything heavier.. Do you know if you get any of the accessories with that model?

Caporegime
No worries, if its a driver issue at least it will be fixed.

Performance on this laptop is insane... 8450 in Fire Strike at stock, and 9350 overclocked. All the gamesi play run butter smooth with everything cranked up plus AA. :)

Man of Honour
That's good to hear. It's only a incremental upgrade over my current MSI cpu wise, but the GPU is a huge advance in tech. Does it get exceptionally hot? This MSI can get hot but the cooler seems to do a top notch job, plus a nice manual switch to give it a quick blast of air really seems to help.

Caporegime
That's good to hear. It's only a incremental upgrade over my current MSI cpu wise, but the GPU is a huge advance in tech. Does it get exceptionally hot? This MSI can get hot but the cooler seems to do a top notch job, plus a nice manual switch to give it a quick blast of air really seems to help.

It is barely warm to the touch, the cooling system is exceptional and the fan noise is a dull whoosh even at load.

Soldato
OP
Not had any speaker issues yet.

As above the cooling is superb if not one if the best laptop cooling setups I have had tbh. The temps remain low with minimal noise.

Caporegime
Not had any speaker issues yet.

Hmm so just to confirm, the sound comes out evenly through both of the speakers and not just out of the bottom left corner?

As above the cooling is superb if not one if the best laptop cooling setups I have had tbh. The temps remain low with minimal noise.

Have you updated to BIOS 205? This fixes temp monitoring and makes it more accurate apparently... my idle temps now look much better. :)

Also, use the Intel tweak utility to squeeze another 100-200mhz out of the boost.

Last edited:
Associate
My G751JY arrived this afternoon! After having it on order elsewhere for six weeks and no update information I cancelled the order yesterday and ordered through Overclockers. My order arrived less than 24hrs later!

I haven't had a chance yet to do anything with it, however it looks beautiful.

Thanks!

Caporegime
My G751JY arrived this afternoon! After having it on order elsewhere for six weeks and no update information I cancelled the order yesterday and ordered through Overclockers. My order arrived less than 24hrs later!

I haven't had a chance yet to do anything with it, however it looks beautiful.

Thanks!

Check for the sound issue, and read the ROG forums to know what issues to look for, and I have made a fair few posts myself with issues (with some fixes, especially the correct setting to get full wireless speeds). http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?198-G771-G751-G551-and-GX550-Gaming-Notebooks

Enjoy. :)

Man of Honour
Well I ordered the ASUS ROG G751JY and got it on this week only so it feels like a bit of a 'black friday' discount even if it isn't. Unfortunately it doesn't appeared to have shipped today so it's unlikely I will receive Monday (unless they do Sat processing/shipping). But I'm looking forward to it, and I guess that means my trusty GT 70D will be up for grabs too.

Associate
Ordered mine Thursday afternoon and received it Friday morning complete with my favourite haribos :p
Took a bit of getting use to windows 8. Bf4 runs incredibly smooth maxed and ive just started to dload my steam titles. This laptop is absolute quality. Sound needed a little tweaking with my ancient stereo headset but apart from that everything else is sweet. Cant beleive how quiet it is and the heat is no problem.
Big thx to ocuk for there excellent service!

Back
Top Bottom