PC dead.. Any ideas?

Soldato
ok so up till last week my pic has been working flawlessly. Then last week we had an electrician round to fix a faulty electric heater.. As part of the process he had to check the trip and I forget my PC was on sleep not turned off..

When I booted my pic a few days later my motherboard wouldn't post past a message saying Checking DRAM... Then restart. I reset my CMOS and tested my RAM with Memtest and it all passed. So thinking I was in the clear used my PC as normal..

My PC was due a lot of windows updates but after update 78 of 80 my PC did a hard reset and rebooted. Obviously it tried again next time I shutdown and failed again.. Finally intried a restore point, but now.. My PC won't turn on, no CMOS a power light, just nothing. Anyone got any ideas?

Associate
try to test psu on another pc.
i take it you have removed the cmos battery and tried again?
try booting with windows cd or usb to see if you get the option to repair or even able to get to BIOS

Associate
Is it completely dead? Like the power switch is turned off at the wall?

Try a different power supply, different cable, even check the socket is working on the wall!

Soldato
OP
Socket is working fine.. I'll check cable first thing (hoping it might have fused but seems unlikely with a 5a fuse in the plug) otherwise the PSU has gone but then I fear the mobo might have been taken out with it.

Soldato
This might seem a bit excessive but I purchased a PSU tester for a fiver years ago when I first dabbled with watercooling as its better to use it when testing the loop over the paperclip method. I've since kept it and its been invaluable in cases like this when something has gone amiss with my PC and it takes less than a minute to figure out if my PSU went poof and can quickly remove it from the equation as it also tests the 5v, 12v etc.

Soldato
Wow 6 years, i bet your glad you chose that one now. I never really look at warranties because its normally fault when something gets broken in my PC :)

Back
Top Bottom