Help

Associate
I'm sure I've made a really obvious mistake but I've recently upgraded my computer as it was getting a bit long in the tooth and bought a OcUK motherboard, RAM and CPU bundle plus a new Graphics Card. I installed everything today but when I boot the computer Linux doesn't wok. In fact it says it's broken, tried to fix itself and then says it can't. Which is really odd because my Hard Drive with Linux on it hasn't been touched, so what's gone wrong?

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't believe you have been here since 2003 and don't know that all that new hardware will normally require a fresh install of Windows.

They are ways of not doing a fresh install and maybe getting it to work, but it's normally more trouble than it's worth.

Soldato
have you changed the BIOS sata ports from IDE to ACHI?

most motherboards by default are IDE and if it was previously setup with ACHI and gone back to IDE it may not boot correctly as I have had this before.

I went from a AMD system - processor, memory and ram to INTEL I7 950 - motherboard and ram without having to do a fresh install of windows

Last edited:
Soldato
I am fully aware of that and am a Prize Winning Tool. I meant Linux. This my Linux Rig not Windows Rig. God I am so embarrassed.:o

Also this is my first Linux rig so I am noobie on this.

We all make mistakes...I obviously didn't read you are on Linux for example!

I would just back it up...you will be able to access all your files on your Linux drive by booting to a Linux DVD (or USB) and access your drive that way.
It's a bit slow, but at least you get all your old files back! I find Ubuntu DVD good for that.

Once backed up....do the fresh install :)

Back
Top Bottom