Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Evening all,

I'm new to Quadcopters, I flew a friends Hubsan X4 back in the summer and found it fun. So for Christmas I'm asking the girlfriend to get me one ;)

I've seen the Hubsan X4 with the camera, these seem to be £35 (rubbish camera) & £50 for the HD camera version. I have however now seen the Syma X5 quadcopter, which looks a better package for the money.. advice please on which to buy!

Soldato
Jesus - Just got a text from DHL - £63 VAT & import duty due!!!!

NOT happy about that at all. Thought there might be a bit if anything but having already had to pay £50 shipping (as none of the stuff was in the UK warehouse) - another £63 on top is just mental - that's nearly 50% on top of the order costs in shipping and import duty.

Is there anything I can do before I pay it?

Man of Honour
Yeah it looks to be a bit of a bargain considering I almost spent £250 on a 3 axis one yesterday, the 3rd axis I probably won't immediately notice.

What do I do about 'landing gear' for my hexacopter? Are all the mounting points on the underside of frame kits standard?

I have the same gimbal on my 550... the below was shot with it, pretty smooth

Soldato
That's very cool. I'd be happy if I can get anything remotely like that!

I want to get a USB or Bluetooth FTDI board so I can connect my MultiWii flight controller to my PC, so I can have fun with waypoints whilst I wait for my FPV gear to arrive.

Any idea where I could get that on a Saturday delivery? I should've ordered it with my HobbyKing order, but didn't realise I needed it. I'll probably just strap an old phone to the bottom of it and set it off for a bit of fun.

Caporegime
A GoPro is quite bulky, so a multirotor to carry one will be quite big. Your better off getting a smaller, lighter camera and therefore a smaller quad.

A 250 and a Mobius are the standard it seems. ~£250 for everything if you shop smart (excluding any FPV this is).

Soldato
I don't think you can do anything about that mate. I ordered all my kit from the UK warehouse, I know that's not always possible, but it means it comes quickly and you don't get stung along the way.

Anyone else have the idea of sticking an antenna on the roof of their house, flying the multi copter from their TV in the lounge? That would be so cool. :p

Soldato
A GoPro is quite bulky, so a multirotor to carry one will be quite big. Your better off getting a smaller, lighter camera and therefore a smaller quad.

A 250 and a Mobius are the standard it seems. ~£250 for everything if you shop smart (excluding any FPV this is).

Hmmm.... So it's either a console or one of these in Jan then. I'd resigned myself to spending £300 on a console even though I don't really need one but might reconsider now. Barely use my PS3 don't know why I'm even considering a new one.

Soldato
Get a multicopter. Dooooo eeeeeeeet. :p I'm watching a video of a guy doing a tutorial on the MultiWii flight controller and getting ridiculously excited.

Has anyone tried Flying their multicopter via gps waypoints, just sending it off and praying that it comes back? Tempted to set it up to fly it to my brothers house and back, across town, and record the footage. If you did it at a reasonable height it wouldn't be too obnoxious.

Associate
Maybe start smaller with you waypoint flying, just in case it goes wrong and you never see it again or it flies through someone's window!

Soldato
I don't think you can do anything about that mate. I ordered all my kit from the UK warehouse, I know that's not always possible, but it means it comes quickly and you don't get stung along the way.

yeah - just paid it online. Bizarrely at the same time I was about to pay it, I got a call from DHL telling me I could pay over the phone to speed things up. Considering I only got the text at 8am this morning, they are on the ball for sure!

Crazy to think - it departed HK warehouse at 11.36am yesterday morning, arrived in Germany this morning at 2.38am and it's already in East Midlands airport at 4.51am this morning!! 10,000km in under 17 hours!:eek:

Royal Mail can't to 30 miles in under 24 hours with some post!

Back
Top Bottom