Tyre choices! Audi A4 & 255/35/19

Associate
Afternoon Gents! :D

My Audi 2013 A4 2.0 Black Edition is due some more tyres!! :eek::eek:

Its now on approx. 28k and is due ANOTHER set of fronts and its first set of rears!

The car originally came with Continental Sport Contact 3, to which the car tramlines BADLY! So i put some Sport Contact 5P's on the front and it still tramlines!! :rolleyes:

So, what to put on next?!

Here is the list, what would you guys recommend?

1) Pirelli P Zero
2) Pirelli P Zero Rosso
3) Dunlop SP Sport MAXX
4) Michelin Pilot Sport 3
5) Continental Sport Contact 5P (Currently fitted to the front... car still tramlines!)

I have to stick with these brands as my work purchases the tyres through kwikfit.... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Associate
OP
Yeah, its not a bad tyre to be honest.

I fully expected it to tramline, but not to the extent it does! Its borderline dangerous!

Ive driven other cars with even '30' profile tyres and didnt experience tramlining as bad as this car. From my limited search on various Audi owners club, it appears to be a 'characteristic' of this car and its 'electromechanical steering system'

A few people have recommended the Michelin's and that they reduce the tramlining, but wanted the views of the good people of OCUK :D

Soldato
Hmm no Eagle F1s, Conti's don't seem as good for me though I'm stuck with them now.

The Eagle F1s I had before were quite superior!

Associate
Michelin Pilot Super Sports, best tyre out for my money and comes in that size :), you said same brand and Michelin seems to be on the list, see if they can get those, otherwise as others have said the Contis.

Hawker

Soldato
I've got Conti SC 5 on my Mazda at the moment, 205/50/17 and I've been distinctly unimpressed. I replaced Nexen N6000 and Linglong GreenMax ditchfinders (on when I bought it) at a cost of nearly £500 plus the cost of a 4 wheel alignment. They give a very poor ride, even on a 50 profile and they're no quieter or give no better feel than the cheapo tyres they replaced.

I've bought Michelin Pilot Sport 2 and 3 in the past and they have been faultless - good grip, good feel, quiet and excellent wear rates. I'll be buying them again next time I need tyres.

Increase the pressures a bit will often help with tramlining, although 35 profile tyres on 19" inch wheels on an Audi A4 sound like a recipe for being shaken to death as it is!

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;27309496 said:
Why? It's a lesser tyre, replaced the Pilot Exalto. The Super Sport is the good one.

Perhaps because he has said the Conti's are still tram-lining for him, so why put another set on?

Not a fan of Pirelli really. Haven't been for a long time. I'll maybe try them again in the future, but not for me just now.

And while I don't mind Dunlops personally (I have run their winter tyres on my last 2 sets for example), I think the Michelin would probably be better.

So it's a lesser tyre than what out of the options the OP has given? Bearing in mind he is already complaining about the Conti's in that list, that you are recommending.

Soldato
I have the Dunlops on 225/40/18 and they tramline occasionally - Just fitted winter wheels - 205/50/16 and it's transformed the ride - smooth and nice feel to steering.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom