Visor treatment products

Caporegime
Hi all

So at this time of year there's obviously a lot of dirty spray being thrown up from the roads. What I'm finding is that I'm having to clean my visor twice a day and when I wipe said spray off my visor, it creates a dirty smear that actually makes it hard to see, especially when car headlights are causing glare.

Are there any products that help repel dirt and water? I use rain-x on my car windscreen. Is this suitable for a helmet visor, or will it ruin it?

Cheers.

Soldato
If its wet its no problem as the dirt gets wiped off with the water. The problem is when it's dry or damp like the last couple of days, my part white helmet is turning rapidly black, and my visor is getting the same muck - have to clean the visor with a wet tissue before leaving for home at work. Might pick up some muc off visor cleaner and a sponge.

Man of Honour
ive never had to use any tbh and I ride in all weathers,just turn your head to the side and let the wind clear the visor

If you're at 50mph+ then this is the most effective way.

Let me know when you find a bug repellant though
2014-09-28%2018.06.04.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Rain-X helps the water bead off, not sure it would help much with the salty crap being thrown up at the moment though.

I recall some talk of Rain-X potentially causing visors to become brittle, but I don't personally know either way.

I normally just carry one of those small Muc Off spray bottles with cloth and wipe over when I reach my destination :)

Soldato
Blue Pledge polish for the inside of the visor to help stop steaming up

Any polish with bees wax for the outside of visor, helps rain bead away and is a darn sight cheaper than Rain-X

and for the road, a pack of cheapy baby wipes does the job nicely.

Caporegime
OP
Cheers all. I found a link on HJC's website actually encouraging the use of Rain-X, so I applied some this morning with no adverse effect. However, the following is definitely true:

Rain-X helps the water bead off, not sure it would help much with the salty crap being thrown up at the moment though.

The dirty spray is too fine to bead, so my visor still needed a wash when I got to work, albeit it was very easy to clean.

Back
Top Bottom