*** Show us your bikes! ***

Soldato
I'm still on the lookout for an Aprilia Shiver around the £3k mark, just doesn't seem to be many new bikes coming onto the market at the moment. The same ones that were for sale 6 weeks ago are still there, and there's maybe one new one every 2-3 weeks. There's a lovely once up in Milton Keynes but it's too far to go really.

If you're looking for a new bike then I bet there's some stonking deals to be had, I had at least 3 calls from the Ducati guy after my test ride so things must be slow!

The used market is dead right now though, no-one buying new bikes which means no-one part exchanging bikes which means dealers have the same stock they had a month ago :(

It's less than 2hrs away :p

You're going to be waiting a looonnng time if you want the perfect bike to be right on your doorstep.

Get it delivered if you're that bothered about riding it back.

Soldato
It's less than 2hrs away :p

You're going to be waiting a looonnng time if you want the perfect bike to be right on your doorstep.

Get it delivered if you're that bothered about riding it back.

True, but it's 2 hours on a varadero 125 sitting at 11k rpm. And if I have to collect it later, that's 3x the tourney of 110 miles! :p Need to part ex my bike so would have to ride it up there.

If I wasn't on a 125 I wouldn't give a second thougt about it, but sitting on the motorway for 2 hours straight is a little painful, even on a vara. The ride back would be great but it's a pain getting anywhere on a 125 :(

In fact the main issue is that I want to test ride one to make sure it's for me, although a newer one has come up for sale over in Canterbury so I might see if that's available for a quick test, once I know it's for me I'll look at bikes further away, but a 4 hour round trip just for a test ride is a little too far ;)

Last edited:

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
So are you just looking to ride a Shiver to see if you like them or are you looking to buy one ?
When are you thinking of Buying the new bike ?

Done a 1000 miles on mine since having it, Was out tuther day & am so happy with the bike I cannot put it into words. I really do Love it, not just like it a lot but really love it, the bike has so much character & rides so well it just seems to be perfectly suited to me & to English roads. :cool:

This is the Ape forum I use, Maybe there's somebody local to you that can meet up. :) http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forum.php

I can also talk about Shivers for days on end so if you have any questions, Fire away. :D

Soldato
So are you just looking to ride a Shiver to see if you like them or are you looking to buy one ?
When are you thinking of Buying the new bike ?

Done a 1000 miles on mine since having it, Was out tuther day & am so happy with the bike I cannot put it into words. I really do Love it, not just like it a lot but really love it, the bike has so much character & rides so well it just seems to be perfectly suited to me & to English roads. :cool:

This is the Ape forum I use, Maybe there's somebody local to you that can meet up. :) http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forum.php

I can also talk about Shivers for days on end so if you have any questions, Fire away. :D

Both! My shortlist of many bikes to buy once I'd got my full licence is/was down to 2 bikes - the CBR600F or Aprilia Shiver - these couldn't be more different obviously! I'm a fan of V-twins (see my Ducati Monster 821 test ride) so it's really to make sure I fit the bike, and that it 'feels' right. I've ridden a few big bikes, namely an MT07 (a little small, but great bike), an NC750 (again a little small and cramped), and the Ducati Monster 821 (which was ****ing awesome!). So basically, I'm 99% set on a shiver, but really want to ride one beforehand to make sure. (I'm not an impulse buyer, as you can tell :p:D)

Everything is right about the bike, I do 200 miles a week so the long service intervals are very welcome, and the dash layout is perfect. I have sat on one briefly and it seemed to fit me ok, I'm tall so the seat height isn't an issue.

I'm not in a huge rush tbh as my vara has it's MOT due soon and needs a new rear tyre, and as I'll be part-exing I can see dealers knocking down the trade-in price because of this if I traded in before hand, but regardless these will be done in the next week (mot booked for the 15th).

I browse the aprilia forums regularly, have joined up but not posted yet.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
CBR-F isn't even a proper bike. :p If you get a CBR6 you get a CBR600RR or why bother ? :D

Seriously though they are a World apart & not worthy of being compared to a Shiver/Monster. I had my VFR didn't I & that's the same sort of thing as the CBR-F they are both Awesome bikes for commuting/touring etc but being brutally honest they are both Boring & that's the trouble with an All rounder, Great as a tool for getting to work etc but boring.
There is nothing boring about a Shiver I can promise you that.

Anyways, What's your dimensions ? :D Height weight etc

Soldato
CBR-F isn't even a proper bike. :p If you get a CBR6 you get a CBR600RR or why bother ? :D

Seriously though they are a World apart & not worthy of being compared to a Shiver/Monster. I had my VFR didn't I & that's the same sort of thing as the CBR-F they are both Awesome bikes for commuting/touring etc but being brutally honest they are both Boring & that's the trouble with an All rounder, Great as a tool for getting to work etc but boring.
There is nothing boring about a Shiver I can promise you that.

Anyways, What's your dimensions ? :D Height weight etc

Yeah I like a bit of character in my bikes, plus being newer for the same money is a bonus.

I'm 6ft 3 & skinny (12 stone) and leg room is my main issue - I seem to fit the cut outs on the shiver though.

Any sport bike like the RR is out, insurance is too high - £1200+ vs £500 for the shiver. Even a VFR is £800+ for the year.

Last edited:

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Well I'm 6ft 5 with size 14 boots & my Shiver fits me like a glove, Everything is just in the right place. :D

My VFR fitted me well so did my BMW F650 but the ZX7R Ninja didn't fit me at all, After around 2 hours I could barely straighten my leg out to prop myself up at lights, My legs were just folded up to much & because of the length of me I was to far forward on the bike, I did a 1000 miles on it then got rid for the F650.
My Shiver I could ride all day, Took me about 6 hours to get home when I first bought it, Through 2 rain storms & into the night/dark, Got nicked for speeding & stopped for fuel & a coffee but must have been in the saddle for 4hours plus. When I go out for a few hours I get off the same as I got on apart from the stupid grin on my face.

Even without the obvious owner bias the Shiver is an Awesome bike. :cool:

Also you shouldn't really have a prob getting a decent one for 3k, Mine was up For Sale for £3200, this time of the year you'll get a right pearler for that money.

Soldato
Cool, if it fits you I shouldn't have a problem :D yeah there's a few bikes about for the £3-3500 mark, hopefully should be able to get about 1500 part ex for my vara. I did try all of my local aprilia dealers but none have demo bikes at the moment.

Soldato
What year Vara? :eek:

2008 some times i think this the bike i'll keep then some times when meet other riders on my travels i get to thinking on switching to somat bigger.

IMG_1911.JPG

Last edited:

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Cool, if it fits you I shouldn't have a problem :D yeah there's a few bikes about for the £3-3500 mark, hopefully should be able to get about 1500 part ex for my vara. I did try all of my local aprilia dealers but none have demo bikes at the moment.

Found you one in Suffolk :D Join the Aprilia Performance Group on Facebook & you'll see it.

Some Details
Facebook user name = Allan Sims
57 plate 15k full history 12 mot / carbon cans crash bobs rad cover v good con. My local aprilia dealer is selling it for me around 3200 in there shop

Just sitting at a dealers waiting for You to test ride it :D

The Boy do good ?

:p

Soldato
2008 some times i think this the bike i'll keep then some times when meet other riders on my travels i get to thinking on switching to somat bigger.

As a comparison, I looked at a £3500 shiver yesterday and they said they'd give £1100 for my 05 18k miles varadero, less if I hadn't done the rear tyre :( granted it was very dirty, but I'd want at least £1300 - £1400, and it didn't seem there was much movement on the shiver price as they were selling it for a customer, even though they've had it sitting in the showroom since at least the middle of October.

Didn't get chance to call about that shiver you found 4T5, was out all day on the bike - I'm planning to go see this one Shiver £2949 and this one Shiver £3495 next weekend along with the one you found.

Edit: Looks like the 2nd one has been sold, it's gone off autotrader and their website, was an '09 white ABS model, with arrow cans and under 7k miles.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I could get my bike indoors it'd be indoors.

I have a shock cover to put on and it uses seriously strong bonding stuff to attach to the battery/under tray but the instructions recommend it is done in temperatures above 12 degrees. No chance in its bed or outside atm.

Back
Top Bottom