£400 build with keyboard and mouse (NO OS or Monitor)

Soldato
bafMPH8.png

Hi OcUK,
My friend wants to spend £400 on a computer, is there anything better than this? And any recommendations from anyone?

Associate
Spend the extra £15 on a 2TB hard drive.

Even if you have to ditch the £30 kb/m pack and go with a temporary 2nd hand pair. Or even bite the bullet and drop down a notch on the GFX card.

I can appreciate you not wanting to go 2nd hand on the motherboard. But 1TB hard drives will need you to reach for the wallet sooner again than a notch down on the gfx. And a spare kb/m can have its uses.

Associate
Spend the extra £15 on a 2TB hard drive.

Even if you have to ditch the £30 kb/m pack and go with a temporary 2nd hand pair. Or even bite the bullet and drop down a notch on the GFX card.

I can appreciate you not wanting to go 2nd hand on the motherboard. But 1TB hard drives will need you to reach for the wallet sooner again than a notch down on the gfx. And a spare kb/m can have its uses.

Why on earth would you want to go a notch down a gfx card for the sake of a 2tb hard drive, are you really going to be playing that many games at once! Haswell pentium and a "ott" gfx card tends to work pretty well in my experience, its amazing how many games really dont touch the cpu. Even supposedly "cpu heavy games" are still playable with lower cpus, bf4 for instance still playable on high with 2 cores and a good gpu.

Last edited:
Associate
Caporegime
Associate
If you are going to get a Pentium K then can i suggest that you get a motherboard that will overclock it?

Take a good look at the Pentium K Owners thread in the CPU section, they can give you a good idea of what sorts of boards you can use to overclock this chip.

Soldato

Get this and you'd be better with an SSD drive

I think the Aerocool Qs-102 case isn't a good choice as it will be cramped and hot.

Back
Top Bottom