EE to end Orange Wednesday cinema deal

Associate
Oh and on the subject of snacks.
The cinema staff have no right to search you. They can of course refuse you entry to the screen if you don't submit, but at the end of the day it's your choice as to if you let them look inside bags etc.
At our screen they do speak to people carrying obvious "purchased elsewhere" items, but never seen any kind of bag searching. So the wife will take the sweets in her handbag - she owns bigger bags if we're taking popcorn instead

Also, and this is the bigger issue - you don't need snacks while you watch a film!

Of course we don't , and obviously it's about going to see the film etc , but i could then see the film anywhere through any means. I thought going to the pictures was about the experiance , picking your flavour salted or sweet etc lol .

I totally get that they can't search us , but we have been refused entry unless we disposed of those items like you say

Associate
Oh goody! Big screen experience with 3d and IMAX, or low bitrate streaming at home. People really prefer this nowadays? :(

Netflix is HD as long as your internet connection isn't cack. Twin it with a decent TV/monitor and sound system and I find it much more preferable to being stuck in a dark room surrounded by noisy, fidgeting randoms.

Soldato
Oh goody! Big screen experience with 3d and IMAX, or low bitrate streaming at home. People really prefer this nowadays? :(

Some people do...personally I do, but only now I have a nice TV setup at home. Which means I can eat what a want without being price gouged, pause for the loo, not have to deal with idiots talking during the movie.

I do still enjoy the cinema occasionally, it's fun to make a night out of with with a few friends when the movie is current. But TBH I have so many different shows on the go these days what with access to iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime and TiVo. I don't have enough hours in the day to watch everything I want to watch, and when I do watch it I like to do so in the comfort of my own home at a time I dictate.

I don't miss not being going to see film the week they come out, so 6 months down the line is fine for me.

Like Soviet said, it's all HD if you have a half decent connection.

EDIT: IMAX is the only thing that draws me to actual cinemas these days.

Last edited:
Soldato
It may be HD in resolution but it's still fairly low bitrate isn't it? I recall something like the total stream bitrate being similar to just one of the audio tracks on a BluRay disc, nevermind the video.

Associate
I've used it a couple of times but it's just not convenient for me. By the time I get out of work and made the 20 mile drive to the nearest cinema, the film is usually sold out from all the people more local to the cinema going in and buying their tickets in advance during the day. I'd probably use it more if there were a way to purchase in advance without actually having to be there in person.

Soldato
It may be HD in resolution but it's still fairly low bitrate isn't it? I recall something like the total stream bitrate being similar to just one of the audio tracks on a BluRay disc, nevermind the video.

As I understand it, the max bitrate of DTS-HD Master Audio on a bluray is 24.5 Mbit/s. A Netflix 1080p stream will be 3 Mbit/s or 6 Mbit/s.

Back
Top Bottom