Pretty good Parallels app bundle deal

Soldato
Thanks for posting this!

I was just about to purchase 1Password 5, but I've not upgraded Parallels yet to work with Yosemite. So this is the perfect deal for me!

Soldato
whats the difference between using parallels and bootcamp ?
why would you choose one over the other, just bought a rMBP so this is all very new to me

Associate
whats the difference between using parallels and bootcamp ?
why would you choose one over the other, just bought a rMBP so this is all very new to me

Boot camp is a separate partition for windows on the hard drive and requires you to boot into either windows or OS X. Fusion or Parallels are Virtual Machine software(?) which enables you to run a virtual machine (windows, linux, whatever you want) inside a virtual machine within OS X.

The dedicated partition avenue of bootcamp provides a more powerful but less convenient way to run windows on your mac.

Associate
Boot Camp = Dual Boot, you start the machine and then choose either OSX or Windows

Parallels = OSX with Windows/Linux etc running in a Virtual Machine, much like using VirtualBox but better integrated with OSX (You can run Windows apps almost like running OSX apps)

Boot Camp is faster as it's basically just running Windows on your laptop, Parallels is slower because OSX has to sit in between Windows and your Hardware but means you can flick back and forth between Windows+OSX apps.

If you want Graphics acceleration to run properly, you need Bootcamp, but for most purposes (ie if you just need to use a Windows-only app) Parallels is fine.

Parallels is a bit expensive, though: worthwhile if you need to use Windows apps regularly, but for more casual use most will be fine with VirtualBox (free)

Soldato
Ah I think I'll be going for the bootcamp option
Thanks for cleaning that up
What's your reason behind this decision?

I couldn't imagine running bootcamp, I don't see the point in having a Mac if you do.

Saving everything, shutting down Mac OS, turning off laptop, restarted it and booting in Windows.. just seems a really horrible experience - especially when virutalisation is fast - if you are trying to play games or do really graphical intensive stuff, then fair enough.

Associate
What's your reason behind this decision?

I couldn't imagine running bootcamp, I don't see the point in having a Mac if you do.

Saving everything, shutting down Mac OS, turning off laptop, restarted it and booting in Windows.. just seems a really horrible experience - especially when virutalisation is fast - if you are trying to play games or do really graphical intensive stuff, then fair enough.

Depends if you have an SSD or not... with one you can switch OS in about 20 seconds (30 if you need to save and close your work)

Before I upgraded to an SSD I agree it was a much more painful process with a 5400 rpm HDD - especially before cloud storage existed

Back
Top Bottom