silenced decat

Soldato
Yo.

What are your views on a decat? More importantly a silenced one.

I have the opportunity to fit one with a full stainless exhaust next week, or stick with the cat.

I don't mind having to swap it out for mot, I just want to be sure it will give some benefit and not cause unwanted drone on the motorway.

The one I am getting is the KTR clio 172 silenced decat along with a full 2.25" stainless exhaust. (182 look for 172)

What's people's views on decats?

Associate
if you doing a lot of motor way driving be careful de-cating as someone was saying a friend got pulled over by one of the cops (motorway?)and the booked him for having no cat and othe thing that apply with it ...... the one thing to remember is in the eyes of the law as soon as you take it off you driving a illegal car for road use...

Soldato
Consider a sports cat instead of a de-cat. MOT time will be a pain.

I have a sports cat on mine but mainly because the standard cat started rattling, and the Honda replacement was too expensive. It's less restrictive and it has an extension welded on to the lambda sensor mount so the sensor only gets a slight wiff of the fumes:p No engine management lights etc. so it's fine for MOT.

Man of Honour
I have a resonated decat - it sounds divine. You obviously need a friendly MOTer or put the cat back on for the MOT. :) You will probably get a warning light come up when you change it so you'll need to reset your ECU.

IF you do change the exhaust etc it may be worth considering a remap to take into account the changes.

Gayjin had a spin in my Zed which had recently been remaped, decatted and new exhaust + breather mods, he was very surprised how much faster it felt as a passenger.

Caporegime
Yo.

What are your views on a decat? More importantly a silenced one.

I have the opportunity to fit one with a full stainless exhaust next week, or stick with the cat.

I don't mind having to swap it out for mot, I just want to be sure it will give some benefit and not cause unwanted drone on the motorway.

The one I am getting is the KTR clio 172 silenced decat along with a full 2.25" stainless exhaust. (182 look for 172)

What's people's views on decats?

Nearly bought a decat for my Clio, which was insane like £25 delivered. Wish I did now, the cat is blowing and would be easy enough to replace for MOT times.

Plus a decat would sound better than it does now!

Edit - So yes do it! Plus I bet it's not that expensive really.

Soldato
OP
Well garage is saying it's around 40 mins labour to change a cat on the 172. It's a bitch to get too.

I will have it fitted then and see how it goes.

might have a look at an extension for the lambda too as I don't fancy my emissions light popping up lol

Soldato
Just be aware that lambda extensions aren't guaranteed to work, my car is a prime example of this as some people find they are able to use with a decat and others have the EML light on.

Best way to do it is have someone re-program the ECU such as a remapper :)

Associate
Decat sounded great on my previous Focus ST along with Mangex downpipe but retaining the standard cat-back system.

Then picked up a matching magnex cat-back system at a good price and got it fitted only to find the exhaust boomed horrendously when cruising at motorway speeds, bad enough that I refitted the standard cat until I could get hold of a sports cat which pretty much eliminated the issue.

Latest car runs similar spec but with 100 cell cat - apart from the legal issues, (which I don't need to worry about now) depending how much you can mix and match different manufacturers exhaust systems on your car, it can be worth researching any problems like my booming before taking the plunge. Worst case is then having to splash out the extra for a sports cat, or having to ask Santa for one ;)

Don't miss the decat too much now, but when it ran along with standard cat-back it gave some awesome pops and bands on up-shifts :p

Associate
I have a decat and it sounds awesome. You can tell the sound difference straight away and depending on the car you can range between 1bhp-7bhp gains.
As people said you won't be passing an MOT with it and the o2 adapter might not work.

Associate
When I had a 200sx I changed to a decat. It lasted about a week until I put the cat back in as the drone it produced was awful. I subsequently replaced it with a silenced decat that was a bit quieter still.

Back
Top Bottom