New Car, backward move?

Soldato
Sometimes people need to just say "I wanted a new car and dont really care about the money Ive spent/lost" rather than try and justify it through tales of woe with their old motor :) .

Problem is, just saying "I wanted a new car" then leads to how you selected a Peugeot and without all the cheapness and money saving ideas there isn't much else going for them :p

Soldato
Whilst I won't comment on your choice of car I'll never understand how people can leave the house with no idea what they want other than a short list of criteria and just buy a car same day based on whatever a few garages in their area happen to have on sale.

I agree. But then there are people like me, that sell their car in June and still haven't found a replacement 11 days before Xmas :D

Soldato
Last two months it need
Timing belt, 2 new wheel bearings, something went wrong with the suspension and steering column that need replacing, plus standard wear and tear where it needed new pads, tyres and a new front brake disc. [i think.. plus other little bits]

So you've paid to have all these things fixed, so they won't need doing again for a long while and then you spend thousands extra on a new car? Sorry, but you are daft, but at least the new owner of your Volvo should be happy :)

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I really like those Volvos in 2 Dr, I met a trick one out on the road when out on my bike & it went like Billy O. :cool:

Where as those new Pugs look disgusting & are as boring as ****.

Just my opinion of course. :)

Soldato
Last two months it need
Timing belt, 2 new wheel bearings, something went wrong with the suspension and steering column that need replacing, plus standard wear and tear where it needed new pads, tyres and a new front brake disc. [i think.. plus other little bits]

So you fixed all this stuff for the new owner?

90,000 miles is hardly high, it seems like a really bizarre choice :(

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
So you fixed all this stuff for the new owner?

90,000 miles is hardly high, it seems like a really bizarre choice :(

needed* i informed the seller of this, all of which she was happy with. I still received 1.5k over book price.

In terms of the Peugeot it did tick a lot of the boxes, it will serve me well for a good 2-3 years, albeit a bit boring. It will be relatively cheap to run, insure and tax. I did look at a number of cars, but to get something relatively new or premium (Audi, BMW, Merc) and low mileage i would have needed to spend a little more.

I did shop around, and test drive the following before arriving at the Peugeot.

Hyundai i30 (very nice car, a lot of standard extras would - of needed to go for finance option, as it was slightly out of budget).
VW Polo (holds resell value well, granted! but didn't enjoy the test drive)
Nissan Juke (not for me)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
needed* i informed the seller of this, all of which she was happy with. I still received 1.5k over book price.

You did not receive £1.5k over the book price as the book price for a private sale on a 2008 Volvo S40 R-Design is significantly more than £3000.

Man of Honour

Hyundai i30 (very nice car, a lot of standard extras would - of needed to go for finance option, as it was slightly out of budget).
VW Polo (holds resell value well, granted! but didn't enjoy the test drive)
Nissan Juke (not for me)
That's like going to look at houses and viewing a new build terrace, a flat and then a farm. Very random!

Associate
i had a 2005 volvo s40 , 1.8 petrol , over the 6yrs i had it i only had one issue , and thats the alternator went on it. mileage was on around 170 thou before i got rid and got a v8 Porsche cayenne :o:D now im inn a 2ltr diesel f10, eating up the the miles :(:D
The Volvo driven as good as a 3 series bmw and i would have another volvo if i was looking for one :) cant contribute anything about peugeot's sadly :(

Soldato
I'd class that as a backwards move.

I can't comment on the 308 as i've not sat in one let alone driven one but i have been in my fair share of modernish french stuff and it's all pretty terrible. Especially that 1.6 diesel engine, i've used that in quite a few cars and it's always terrible.

Soldato
Whilst I won't comment on your choice of car I'll never understand how people can leave the house with no idea what they want other than a short list of criteria and just buy a car same day based on whatever a few garages in their area happen to have on sale.

I've done this twice, once with our Grand Cherokee which was a criteria of needing to be as heavy as possible & produce a decent amount of torque. We went out to look & came back with the car about 3 hours later.

Second time we did it with a caravan (ok not a car but same idea) popped into a caravan place in Norwich whilst we were away for the week on holiday down there & just passing by, saw something we really liked & came away £10k worse off. We weren't even looking for a new caravan at the time. :D

Soldato
You walked into the dragons den lol. Your choice will always be the wrong choice here, everyone has there reasons.

Yup, it seems like it is impossible to make the right choice here. I always appreciate help, but you follow the advice of one group, just to spark outrage with another...

Man of Honour
Yup, it seems like it is impossible to make the right choice here.

That isn't really the case though, is it?

I always appreciate help, but you follow the advice of one group, just to spark outrage with another...

Which group said the best thing to do with the Volvo was trade it in at the first garage you could find that had 'a car' irrespective of what it was?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Genuinely would rather have had the Volvo out of this pair. A higher class of car than the Peugeot for sure and it sounds as though the Volvo was fairly sorted after you had done those bits to it. That said, i am sure that the Peugeot will be economical and reliable which is clearly the goal, so its not all bad.

Back
Top Bottom