Old FF games and very difficult bosses...

Permabanned
the only boss is struggled to the point of almost giving the game up and never touching it again was demon gate, in the temple of the ancients. that was back when i was about 11 or 12 mind you. :p

Yep. Your party have got to all have at least 2000hp for that battle and unless you've been doing a fair bit of levelling, they'll probably be around the 1500hp mark. I was stuck on him for ages the first time I played through. Luckily I found you get some good exp in the room where you fight the dragon boss. Keep running round until you encounter the 3 flying dragons, use Odin (he slashes them and kills them one hit) and you level up in no time.

I remember the Materia Keeper and Schizo gave me a bit of trouble.

Associate
I think, putting extra bosses to one side, the thing you need to remember with Final Fantasy games is they kind of assume you will grind a little on the way through the story.

Not saying to stay in one area for 5 hours longer than you need to till you can 1-hit anything but just....take your time, look in crannies and crevices and take the extra random encounters. Those few extra level ups this will add as you progress through the game will help

Soldato
Yep. Your party have got to all have at least 2000hp for that battle and unless you've been doing a fair bit of levelling, they'll probably be around the 1500hp mark. I was stuck on him for ages the first time I played through. Luckily I found you get some good exp in the room where you fight the dragon boss. Keep running round until you encounter the 3 flying dragons, use Odin (he slashes them and kills them one hit) and you level up in no time.

I remember the Materia Keeper and Schizo gave me a bit of trouble.

Yeah those two were right pains. No real tactic other than to hammer it. And don't use fire against materia keeper ;) lost number can be a bit hard too. Especially if it forms into the purple melee side! :p

Associate
When I first played the FF games as a kid I got to the final boss on every one (7,8,9 & 10) and never managed to beat them.

It's only after re-playing the games later in life that I managed to finish the buggers lol.

Associate
FF8 can be made into an unbelievably easy game when it comes to bosses, just use the card game to get Laguna's card from Ellone when you're on the space station. That can be refined into 100 Heroes, which I believe makes one character invulnerable for an amount of time....or you can refine 100 Hero's into a 10 holy wars or whatever it was that made everyone invulnerable

Soldato
I always wanted to get the most out of 7,8,9 and 10. So I did as much side questing as I could find. End bosses were always fairly easy by the time I hit them. I never did manage to kill Ruby weapon though. Did tell my cousin how I thought it could be done and he did it the git lol.

Caporegime
I don't remember the weapons were that hard, I have 3 saved games in a card. One with all weapons defeated in free roam, one just outside the final boss and one with no weapons defeated in free roam.

I recall one the weapons was quite easy, did it first go, I think Ruby was the harder one, think that took 4 or 5 tries? I think it is almost random in a way which character he kills with one hit, sometimes you get lucky and he hits someone with high enough HP and survive and sometimes you don't. The final boss is easy though if you can defeat the weapons. I think I put in 98 or 99 hrs at that point, has all limit breaks for everyone and had all materia.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wish I could wipe my memory and play FF7 again. First time through that game as a kid was great because I never bothered to grind - not being familiar with RPGs at that point.

Lost Number was really hard without grinding, as was Demon Gate. most of the others were easy but the trip to Wutai was a challenge.

I was using summons, magic etc too - by the time I got RPG experience and replayed it I just used attack as nothing else could beat that with 4x cut on everyone.

Yes Ruby weapon was the harder one. Emerald was pretty straight forward as it just involved knowing how to survive his biggest attack. If you could do that he had nothing. If you didn't know what to do though it just did 9999 to everyone so insta death.

Ruby was more interesting as it randomly ditched 2 characters from the fight leaving you 1 on 1 with no way to bring them back. I think the basic premise was to setup 1 character to take Ruby on then kill the other 2 - then fight it. That way you negated the randomness.
Then It was something like Hades to kill the tenticles and knights of the round on Ruby - Mime it then have Final Attack linked to Phoenix Summon. This meant you have 5 insta revives to full health which was more than enough to take Ruby out with ease @ 2x KOTR per turn. Replenish magic when needed and re-summon Hades when tenticles are back up and job done.

Sounds real easy now - and it is - but it's a point ENB was discussing on his latest Dark Chat video.
Back in the day you had to figure that out yourself. The tactic above I came up with myself at the time and was real chuffed. With the net and YT in particular it's not the same. Ah well - being older now anyway I wouldn't have the patience to spend that much time on it so just as well!

Soldato
FF8 can be made into an unbelievably easy game when it comes to bosses, just use the card game to get Laguna's card from Ellone when you're on the space station. That can be refined into 100 Heroes, which I believe makes one character invulnerable for an amount of time....or you can refine 100 Hero's into a 10 holy wars or whatever it was that made everyone invulnerable

And/Or Selphies Limit Break - The End which one shot killed anything.

Back
Top Bottom